Skip to content

UI Scaling - what should we expect?

ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,268
On the advanced graphics settings for resolution, the UI Scale seems to be stuck at 1, no matter what resolution is selected.

I've tried changing SetUIScale in nwn.ini to values between 1 and 8 to no effect. The game just resets it to 0.

According to the release notes "The UI will now upscale to the largest resolution possible (3x scaling on a 4k monitor)". What does that mean?

I was hoping to make the UI larger, so that I can read conversations at native 1920 x 1080. Is that what was intended? Or have I misunderstood?

That seems especially desirable, since anti-aliasing no longer seems to work at lower resolutions.
yaseen

Comments

• yaseenyaseen Member Posts: 3
    I would know this too, because the text and UI is so small on 1080p.
    It would be nice to enable the option for scaling at: 1080p.
  • ShaidenShaiden Member Posts: 181
    edited November 2017
    Greetings!

In regards to requests for increasing the available UI scale for 1080 monitors, there are a few technical challenges we would need to to tackle to make it functional & reasonably nice to use.

If / When something comes of it, you'll likely see a larger announcement, or inclusion in the patch notes.

Sadly I can't make any promises, as that's somewhat outside my wheelhouse, but there have been a few requests for this feature, and they've been noted. :)
    JuliusBorisovCablefish
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,268
    @Shaiden Thanks.

Can you explain what the UI scale feature does at present?
    @Proleric

Hey Proleric,

The effective breakpoints before the UI scaling kicks in is determined by your monitor size at a rate of 800x600.

This means that the break points for additional scaling go along the lines of
    800x600 = scale 1 max
    1600x 1200 = scale 2 max
    etc

1080 was a unique situation in that a large number of the various windows simply do not present well & in some cases would cascade off the screen, preventing you from reading / interacting with some elements. This means that a number of tweaks with the scaling system + some hand-done edits would be required for it to work ideally.

There may / may not be some more engine related issues as well for this issue, but as said above, It's not in my immediate wheelhouse so I don't have all the info. :wink:
    JuliusBorisov
  • MordaedilMordaedil Member Posts: 56
    Any chance you could implement 1.5 scaling, or is that too difficult?
    Proleric
  • Peteed1985Peteed1985 Member Posts: 63
    Yeah i've got low vision so I can't read without leaning right up to screen as it is :(
    @Mordaedil
    If it's going to happen, 2x would be the first to occur. I'll poke the appropriate people to ask what kind of feasibility 1.5x is, but it'll be heavily dependent on what we do with 2x.

@Peteed1985
    I hear ya, it's possible I'm not in the same state, but it's a pain when you have to adjust yourself just to engage with the game. As said above, it's definitely something being considered. I hope I can give you good news!
    JuliusBorisov
  • MordaedilMordaedil Member Posts: 56
    Well, since my monitor has a resolution of 1980x1200 2x scaling works, but it's really large for my screen size, so that's why I reckon a 1.5x would be a happy medium for 1980x1080 users as well.
  • jameskerjamesker Member Posts: 99
    Am I missing a work around with this? my eyesight isn't the greatest. I can barely see potions and abilities, let alone see text, can I at least get 800by600 and go full screen? any attempts to go full screen with this have changed the resolution also. I think the gog version went full screen with whatever resolution you had and didn't go windows. I'd be pleased if it was just something simple im missing.
  • jameskerjamesker Member Posts: 99
    Sorted this problem out, anyone who is stuck in the same position I changed the fullscreen value on the nwn.ini from 0 to 1
    JuliusBorisov
  • FluentFluent Member Posts: 74
    I would like to see additional scaling option "tiers". At 4K, the scaling setting of 3 is a bit too big for my tastes, while 2 is a bit too small. A few additional "in between" settings would be great.
    Just as a note, I believe that there are entries covering the addition of more UI scaling options being handled on the Trello board.

We have a couple of internal tickets up and running regarding specific resolution issues, but I'd recommend showing support in the Trello forums / voting up the cards you're most interested in.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
  • KrazenpoxKrazenpox Member Posts: 12
    Hello,
    In the official FAQ ( https://www.beamdog.com/nwn_faq ) there are screenshots just under "How do I adjust my resolution or size of my UI?" where we can see the resolution set to 1920x1080 60hz and New UI scale: 2, but me I have this: https://imgur.com/a/qTzwf , before it was possible to have a bigger ui scale on 1920x1080? Why now it's not possible? Do you know when this feature will be available?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Krazenpox said:

Hello,
    In the official FAQ ( https://www.beamdog.com/nwn_faq ) there are screenshots just under "How do I adjust my resolution or size of my UI?" where we can see the resolution set to 1920x1080 60hz and New UI scale: 2, but me I have this: https://imgur.com/a/qTzwf , before it was possible to have a bigger ui scale on 1920x1080? Why now it's not possible? Do you know when this feature will be available?

@Krazenpox Odd that it's impossible for you to set it to 2. Try to report on support.baldursgate.com
    Krazenpox
    I did it ( https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/35804 ). Hope it will help.
    JuliusBorisov
    Official answer:

https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/35804#change-210645

Andrew Gauthier wrote :

"Hi there!

We are currently looking into the UI scaling issue at 1080. I suggest going to our forums & Trello board, and adding your voice to the conversation. The more people we have asking for a particular feature, the more drive it has to get done sooner.

Thank you for the bug!"
    Yup, It's one of the issues I'm tracking closely.
    JuliusBorisov
  • jpayettejpayette Member Posts: 14
    As the response above requests, I'm gonna add my voice to this: one of the main improvements I was hoping for from NWN:EE was "readable UI at modern resolutions", and the most common modern resolution is still 1920x1080 (AFAIK). So it's very disappointing to me that there are currently no scaling options at this resolution.