Skip to content

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - What do I do with it?

nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
I’ve pre-ordered Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - or I’m thinking about it. What do I do with it after pre-ordering?

NWN:EE is currently in Head Start, which is a chance to try out the game prior to launch and give feedback, as players, on what direction the Beamdog team should take with the development. This can mean identifying bugs that need fixing and participating in community discussions on what features are most needed for the next official patch.

Essentially, you get a working game and you’re invited to help decide what the future of Neverwinter Nights is! If you’d like to play early and notice issues, you can report them on our issue tracker[1]. If you want to host a server, you can do this too! Set up a modules and custom content if you wish, then have at it. Everything from 1.69, including all the community-created content on Neverwinter Vault[2], should still work fine. Please note that the Vault hosts user-generated content outside of our control. We strive for 100% backwards-compatibility but cannot fix issues with things downloaded from the Vault; but if you notice something not working in NWN:EE that used to work in 1.69, please report it.

If you are a server owner for a Persistent World, and want to migrate now, it may be worth setting up a second server; a duplicate if possible, and invite people who have Head Start to play there. We’d love to hear your feedback on your experience doing so!

If your server uses NWNX: patience. (If you don't know what that is, just skip ahead.) The NWNX team is working on finalising it, including the source code release; but that will be a few days still. You can always ask[3] for help and what the status is, the NWNX folks are quite friendly!

While playing, building modules, and setting up servers, think about what you feel is missing as we’re actively accepting feature requests. If you need a way to do something that is not in the base game, but should be, tell us. If you think we're missing a crucial feature, tell us (but check both the issue tracker[1] and the release notes[5] first to see if it was suggested already).

Finally, you can of course always get help on the forums[4].

[1] https://support.baldursgate.com/projects/nwn-ee-public-bugs
[2] https://neverwintervault.org/
[3] https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/66953/nwnx
[4] https://forums.beamdog.com/categories/neverwinter-nights
[5] https://www.beamdog.com/files/nwnee_release_notes.pdf

JuliusBorisovDoubledimasBelleSorciereaarionnlolienVarwulf

Comments

• ShadeWyrmShadeWyrm Member Posts: 3
    If your server uses NWNX: patience. (If you don't know what that is, just skip ahead.) The NWNX team is working on finalising it, including the source code release; but that will be a few days still. You can always ask[3] for help and what the status is, the NWNX folks are quite friendly!

Does this imply that NWNX's functionality won't ever be coming to the default NWN:EE Server?
  • LiarethLiareth Member Posts: 74
    edited November 2017
    ShadeWyrm said:

Does this imply that NWNX's functionality won't ever be coming to the default NWN:EE Server?
    No, of course not. We're really keen to expand the scripting API. We've already ported a number of functions, such as area instancing and a number of item property and effect functions. However, some functions are unsuitable for inclusion in the base game, such as functions which modify internal data structures. These functions will find a place in NWNX instead.
    JuliusBorisovAvenger_teambg
  • BalanorBalanor Member Posts: 176
    I'm having a bit of trouble - I just preordered, but when I downloaded it in the Beamdog Client on Windows 10 it just created a folder called 00785 with two files. The one file, a Readme, says "When the game is live, your copy of Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition will be found in this folder." But I thought, per the FAQ, that "By pre-ordering on Beamdog, you can get Head Start access to Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition."

Can someone help me figure out what I am doing wrong? I'd really like to start taking a look at NWNEE since I host a PW and want to see how things are looking so far.
    RAM021
  • InflatableFriendInflatableFriend Member Posts: 57
    edited November 2017
  • BalanorBalanor Member Posts: 176
    Doh! Guess I should have keep searching a bit longer before posting. Thanks very much.
  • ReibornReiborn Member Posts: 156
    Balanor said:

I'm having a bit of trouble - I just preordered, but when I downloaded it in the Beamdog Client on Windows 10 it just created a folder called 00785 with two files. The one file, a Readme, says "When the game is live, your copy of Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition will be found in this folder." But I thought, per the FAQ, that "By pre-ordering on Beamdog, you can get Head Start access to Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition."

Can someone help me figure out what I am doing wrong? I'd really like to start taking a look at NWNEE since I host a PW and want to see how things are looking so far.

1. you purchase the game.
    2. you get to the headstart page and click "Get it now"
    3. on the beamdog client switch the option for the correct version you purchased + headstart like here:

• JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    The DM Client and Toolset aren't so easily found, though. I had to ask about those, too.
  • ReibornReiborn Member Posts: 156
    Jidokwon said:

The DM Client and Toolset aren't so easily found, though. I had to ask about those, too.

toolset is in:
    X:\Beamdog\00840\bin\win32

but I didn't find the dm client there.
    JuliusBorisov
  • SarmanosSarmanos Member Posts: 16
    The DM client isn't currently accessible unless you create a shortcut of nwmain and then append a "-dmc" in the target for the shortcut. Shouldn't be any quotation marks or the like. Just a space followed by -dmc in the target box of the nwmain shortcut.
    ShaidenJuliusBorisov