Skip to content

AVG is having serious issues with NWN:EE...

11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
...so I'm switching anti-virus software!

Apparently with this 2017 edition there's no way to stop AVG from automatically deleting a file. Also, they got rid of the feature in 2016 AVG that allows user to add/delete exceptions for programs into the Firewall.

Since now, literally, the only way I can play the game is to disable my Firewall protection, I'm going to install Norton.

Comments

• DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    What version of AVG do you use? I have the free version but no issues with running NWN.
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381

What version of AVG do you use? I have the free version but no issues with running NWN.

I have the pro version of AVG. I already uninstalled it. It was an issue with AVG's Firewall.
  • KrovosKrovos Member Posts: 20
    I am seeing the same issue with Avast Permier and I had to disable it. Anyone figure out a work around besides disabling the firewall/Shields
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    edited November 2017
    Just here to shill for mcafee total protection: it works beautifully. I install it, and everything happens in the background. In 8 months it has never deleted things, or pestered me, or failed to protect me.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I would caution against mcaffe. Its programming is based on trojan viruses and once installed, its almost impossible to get off your computer. If you can afford it, I recommend ESET.
    ThacoBell said:

I would caution against mcaffe. Its programming is based on trojan viruses and once installed, its almost impossible to get off your computer.

Yes, and? I didn't know that, but so what? It's doing what I pay it to do.

I don't know which option is worse, but I kind of think of AV protection software the same way I think of locking the house and buying curtains. They all should be effective against casual crooks, but the really dedicated hackers, the kind who make their own hacking programs and attack companies will find a way to get at your computer if they're motivated enough.
    My point is that mcaffe will continue to attempt to modify your files and re-install itself even if it is supposedly uninstalled or deactivated. It will even start clashing if you need to switch security programs for any reason. I've had entire files and programs corrupted by mcaffe.
    Yeah, I've had similar problems with other antivirus products. Did you try using the mcaffee uninstaller tool made specifically for getting rid of hard to remove programs? https://www.bing.com/search?FORM=FCAU10&PC=MC01&q=mcaffee+uninstaller
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    edited December 2017
    I hate AVG and Avast so not surprised.
    Post edited by BelleSorciere on
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I've had a lot of problems with both McAffee and Norton interfering with gaming and modding on my computer. I've had McAffee let viruses and malware threats through as well.

I've had the best luck with Kapersky, despite their recent scandal of Russian association. Kapersky has to date never let any malware through to my computer, and has never interfered with games or modding. It came free from my internet provider, but now, they've switched to McAffee after the scandal, unfortunately, so I'll have to buy it if I want it on any future computers.
    I've heard of a few problems with full version Avast, Ironically, I use the free version haven't had any problems. Its actually the best free antivirus I've ever had. Its even better than some paid antivirus I've used in the past *coughmcaffee*cough*
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    ThacoBell said:

I've heard of a few problems with full version Avast, Ironically, I use the free version haven't had any problems. Its actually the best free antivirus I've ever had. Its even better than some paid antivirus I've used in the past *coughmcaffee*cough*

It's a premium feature of AVG that I had problems with specifically.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I've seen virtually zero value in Norton (I think the entire product is just based on brand recognition alone), and McAfee did hideous things to my computer's processing speed until the exact moment when I uninstalled it, at which point the computer ran fine. Kaspersky is known to be very effective, despite the Russian connection.
  • dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377
    edited November 2017
    The Best Free Antivirus of 2017 according to PC magazine
    tried avast free but it made my taskbar not responding in the latest version of Windows after clean install plus its full of ads
    i dont see the need to pay for antivirus I went with Bit defender it is very light no problems encountered yet
    Post edited by dreamtraveler on
  • dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377
    edited November 2017
    Bit Defender Free uses in total 131.6 mb of memory
    AVG Free uses in total 47.6 of memory (wow that is really light)
    In Avg free it allows you to set exceptions only downside it has ad that urges you to try Internet Security in the main program window so i guess its either AVG or Bit Defender as far as it concerns Free Antivirus
    Post edited by dreamtraveler on
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I've used Norton, Macafee and Kapersky. Norton would quarantine all my BG mod files. Macafee just let threats straight through. Kapersky blocked stuff... I had to turn it off to go to sites (again for downloading BG mods or connecting to NWN servers)

The best though, in my opinion is Bitdefender. It has not let me down (yet). If it does I just email them. I thought it caused a problem with my Bluetooth mouse... It wasn't but they helped me change some settings so it worked.

• DerbatzDerbatz Member Posts: 4
    The following link will show how to add exceptions to AVG Internet security. Add the Beamdog library folder and your save folder to the File Paths tab. Problem solved.

https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?l=en&urlName=How-to-make-exclusions-from-all-scans-and-shields&supportType=home