Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    @OrlonKronsteen Hard luck. That has never happened to me but that is because I play unbelievably good characters. o:)
    OrlonKronsteen
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 996
    OrlonKronsteen said...

but even after several reloads I couldn't beat that one mage on SCS, even with cheese.

If you wait until chapter 5 to do these guys, then dispelling arrows make a world of difference. These mages go down quick when all their protections are gone.
    semiticgoddessBlackravenOrlonKronsteenlolien
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905

OrlonKronsteen said...

but even after several reloads I couldn't beat that one mage on SCS, even with cheese.

If you wait until chapter 5 to do these guys, then dispelling arrows make a world of difference. These mages go down quick when all their protections are gone.
    That was what was so funny about getting teleported to the ice island with out any way of stopping it: I'd finally learned the lesson about avoiding mage encounters until I at least had the spell thrust scroll from the bandit camp, and preferably some of those arrows as well. :)
    BlackravenJuliusBorisovWise_Grimwaldlolien
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    @Borek Hey, major props for the reference to Tarkovsky !
    JuliusBorisovAerakar
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Looks like the most recent version of EE does in fact prevent Project Image clones from bypassing the summoning cap. I wouldn't be able to replicate my army of celestials in an unmodded EE game; it could only be done with the summoning cap removed, in the pre-EE game, and maybe in an earlier version of EE.

That's too bad. I didn't want to rely on a modded change to make the poverty run possible, but it seems I have. It should still be possible to complete a no-reload poverty run of SCS and Ascension without bypassing the summoning cap, but it would be a lot slower if you had to rely on spell damage to get things done.
    OrlonKronsteenPokotaWise_Grimwaldlolien
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847

Are you summoning multiple copies of Kitty using the WoL trick?

Yep.
    lolien
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Grond0: I'm still convinced your party is the superior choice for all of BG1, SoD, and the vast majority of SoA, but I'm having second thoughts about ToB. Without the summoning cap removed, ToB is extremely challenging, and my party suffers from low damage output when I'm not using multiple celestials. How strong is a Shaman in ToB?

(I've moved your last post to this thread; it used to be in the Lounge)
    OrlonKronsteenGrond0JuliusBorisovlolien
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    @Wise_Grimwald condolences!
    Wise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited November 2017

@Grond0: I'm still convinced your party is the superior choice for all of BG1, SoD, and the vast majority of SoA, but I'm having second thoughts about ToB. Without the summoning cap removed, ToB is extremely challenging, and my party suffers from low damage output when I'm not using multiple celestials. How strong is a Shaman in ToB?

Who knows - I don't suppose there's much chance I'll find out, but we'll see ;).

I've never had a shaman even get the upgraded summons at level 12, let alone the further upgrade at level 18. However, my expectation is that those summons won't get a great deal of use as better summoning options will be available. Despite that though I would expect the shaman to still prove pretty useful. Large numbers of insect spells and Nature's Beauty can't be bad and spell defences and iron skins should allow him to stay in combat long enough to land Harm quite a bit. The Ether Gate maze spell may also come in handy for crowd control in more complicated battles.
    ArctodusWise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisovlolien