Skip to content

Undead Hunter Paladin Weapon Proficiency

Hi guys,

After some time I am getting ready to replay Baldur's Gate EE again. I have question about weapon proficiency points for my class. Some people recommend 2h swords with 2h specialization, other say to go one handed or dual wield and leave Avenger to Keldorn. Since Daystar, Mace of Disruption, Harrower, Azuredge all one handed I can see logic in that. What about one handed and shield or bastard swords (Foebane) ? Any advice is welcome and would like to hear your thoughts about this matter as this remains my final dilemma before I start playing again.

Thank you :)
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
    edited November 2017
    You should definetly put ** to flails and go with FoA. You are Unded Hunter and undeads are resistance to slashing and piercing. Put Defender of Easthaven to left hand, or shield. Leave Avenger to Keldorn, FoA is much better and will suit UH better. Foebane suits Cavalier better since he already have +3 to demons and dragons, with this sword Cavalier get +9 vs demons.
    OrlonKronsteenWinter_Wolftbone1JuliusBorisov
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    @Sikorsky - Isn't it just skeletons that are resistant to slashing/piercing?

@Winter_Wolf - Honestly, I'd go with whatever you feel like playing thematically. You can succeed with any weapon. Personally, I find the Mace of Disruption and Azuredge to be extremely overpowered and most of the time I don't use them. Their insta-kill ability allows you to easily waltz through large swaths of the game; enemies that are supposed to be scary and powerful become a joke and the challenge is lost. But they're there if you feel like using them. You can argue that the two-handed Holy Avenger is overpowered, too, with its dispel and magic resistance, but at least it doesn't insta-kill. It's usually my weapon of choice with paladins as I love the aesthetic of two-handers. As Sikorsky mentioned, flails are great. Bastard swords can be great, with Foebane and the Purifier. Of course, it's hard to go wrong with Daystar from a thematic standpoint. Like I said, whatever you feel like thematically is probably best.

As for shields, the Shield of Harmony is particularly wonderful. It grants a nice AC bonus but more importantly a set of great immunities. Use that and your favourite one-hander and you'll be a force of undead-slaying righteousness.

Winter_WolfDragonspearStummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov
  • malachi151malachi151 Member Posts: 152
    As a Paladin you'll have more than enough pips to go around. I'd argue Mace of Disruption should go to someone else who will benefit from it more.

For me, I'd start with 2 pips in Flails, 1 pip in 2 handed style and 1 pip into 2 Handed Swords (start sword and shield with a flail). Then finish out 2H Swords and put a pip into Longswords (You'll have 2 pips in 2H swords long before you get Spiderbane).
    uu hit level 9 in BG2 you finish out Longswords, so you'll have 2 in 2 Handed swords, Longswords, and Flails which are all the main things you'll need. Most other stuff will be gravy. This will let you use Daystar, FoA & Carsomyr (sp?) right away, which, IMO, are the main weapons you would want to use IMO.

Daystar is awesome. I *think* the additional damage of the UH kit will apply to Daystars doubling bonus.

OrlonKronsteentbone1JuliusBorisov
  • Winter_WolfWinter_Wolf Member Posts: 5
    Thank you guys this was very helpful ! :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    For an undead hunter:

Mace of Disruption (Mace +2), Azure Edge (Returning Throwing Axe +3) and Purifier (Bastard Sword +3) all fit the class very well.

In the complete book of paladin's, they're actually supposed to be able to get Purifier itself during the campaign.

Re: Mace of Disruption
    As much as I love the weapon, for a Lawful Good character, it represents kind of a quagmire.

Re: Mace of Disruption and Azure Edge
    The instant kill effect is nice, but I don't know if I'd call it overpowered. Lesser undead you'd likely blow through anyway, higher level undead are more likely to make their saves and/or have magical defenses that others in your party need to take out first anyway.

That being said, I also like Crossbows and Spears (Spears are as close to a stake as you can get). Blame Buffy.
    OrlonKronsteenJuliusBorisov
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    I personally like using purifier. It is too bad that most Bastard Swords in the game are kind of useless. In my previous games of UH, I usually took long swords (Daystar) and switched to Purifier later on.
    ThacoBellDragonspearOrlonKronsteenJuliusBorisov
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Redrake said:

I personally like using purifier. It is too bad that most Bastard Swords in the game are kind of useless. In my previous games of UH, I usually took long swords (Daystar) and switched to Purifier later on.

I'd completely forgotten about Daystar. That's another really good one for UD Hunter.
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426

Redrake said:

I'd completely forgotten about Daystar. That's another really good one for UD Hunter.
    Daystar is the perfect weapon against undead when used in a good party or one with a UH, because of the Sunray ability, which is powerful and you can get it very early.

Of course, even evil parties can use it as long as you don't consider turning undead to your side with Viconia's Turn Undead or using vampire NPCs like Valen, Hexxat (Valen redux) and Miriam. The effects of those can be distasteful (but funny) when you use Sunray ability.
    OrlonKronsteenThacoBell
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905

Re: Mace of Disruption and Azure Edge
    The instant kill effect is nice, but I don't know if I'd call it overpowered. Lesser undead you'd likely blow through anyway, higher level undead are more likely to make their saves and/or have magical defenses that others in your party need to take out first anyway.

Both weapons incur a -4 penalty on the save, so powerful undead are still easy to kill. I've wiped out liches and demi-liches (MoD only) with ease using those weapons. In fact, my first time facing the dreaded Crooked Crane Lich on SCS, I one shotted him with Azuredge before he could even get his defenses up. Perhaps I've had luck on my side, though.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    There's a special Paladin bastard sword late in the game, so keep that in mind. Keldorn could use the two handed sword and you could use the bastard sword if you're so inclined.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Anyone tried putting the azure edge on melee and dual-wielding it with the mace of disruption?
    ThacoBellOrlonKronsteen
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Skatan said:

Anyone tried putting the azure edge on melee and dual-wielding it with the mace of disruption?

No, but now I want to.
    SkatanOrlonKronsteenQueegon
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Skatan said:

Did it once with Minsc in Bodhi's Lair.

It was both beautiful and boring.
    SkatanStummvonBordwehr
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Haha, that's an excellent description! It's like I can see it all in my head by just imagining Minsc mowing his lawn, beautiful and boring at the same time.
    ThacoBellRaduzielBalrog99sarevok57
  • MahricMahric Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2018
    I play an Undead Hunter as my primary tank: high AC (with shield), good saving throws and proficiency points in Long Swords*, Mace and Axe. There are some decent Long Swords early in BG2 (Daystar, Sword of Flame +1 vs Trolls), and I keep Mace of Disruption in the 2nd slot, with a Throwing Axe in the 3rd slot for ranged damage.

Azuredge is good, either as ranged or melee, but I usually give it to Minsc once he has a couple of points in Axes. His racial bonus against vampires makes him quite deadly with Azuredge. There's also the Rifthome +3 throwing axe if you side with Bodhi ... think of it as INFILTRATING her lair rather than siding with her.

I realise that level drain immunity from the Mace of Disruption is redundant for an Undead Hunter, but it's still a superb tanking weapon against undead (including Kangaxx). Occasionally I'll bring in Minsc as a second tank, then switch weapons giving him the MoD and taking Azuredge (melee).

My level 9 and 12 proficiency points go into Katanas (Celestial Fury), which can easily carry me through to the end of TOB. Flails (Flail of the Ages, Defender of Easthaven) are very good too, but I prefer to give these to Minsc. There aren't many battles where Celestial Fury isn't amazing, and MoD hits as a +5 weapon should the need arise. There's also Storm Star which can be upgraded early in TOB, and Axe of the Unyielding later in the game.

*Of all my proficiencies, Long Swords are probably the least useful, but they take the pressure off the early game so there's no rush to find MoD or Celestial Fury. There are also a lot of fun (if not amazing) long swords throughout the game, so it allows for some flexibility. Daystar I've mentioned, Flame Tongue can hit Kangaxx, Blackrazor is very cool (in the original game you could pickpocket it) and TOB has some nice long swords too. But another option would be to start out Mace, Axe and Katana, and develop into 2H Swords and 2H Style to use Carsomyr.

PS. If you're starting with BGEE, there is a very good Mace in Beregost which you can pick up quite early.
    Post edited by Mahric on
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    By the way, @Winter_Wolf , I have a mod that brings the Undead Hunter closer to its PnP version. Maybe it suits you.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/65700/kit-pack-i-hate-undead-iwd-eet-bgee-bg2ee#latest