Skip to content

NWN source code status

As I understand, Beamdog has access to whole NWN source code. Does it mean you guys have ale rights to it? Or you've just bought licence to extend it? I'm asking because I was wondering if there would be possibility to open source fragments/full code - not now, but in few years
RAM021

Comments

• StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    I bet the lost the source code for nwn and in a few weeks they will send a call out to see if anyone has another copy
    :expressionless:
    Ok, was that too soon?
    :)
    RAM021
  • saramakossaramakos Member Posts: 19
    Staran said:

I bet the lost the source code for nwn and in a few weeks they will send a call out to see if anyone has another copy
    Ok, was that too soon?

I think I missed something here, unless it is a reference to IWD2 apparently missing some code making an EE hard?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    It's a reference to the IWD2 source code. Apparently the folks from Bioware/Black Isle lost it sometime over the past decade or so, preventing Beamdog from revamping the original 3E engine. People have joked that something so incredibly important just got lost somewhere, but that's what happens to old data. People don't store data if they don't think anyone will ever have any use for it.

Unless it suddenly turns up from out of nowhere, Beamdog is unlikely to make an IWD2:EE, because without it, all you can do is create a port of IWD2 using the existing EE engine, which means none of the 3E stuff people expect from IWD2 will be available.
    ProontRAM021taclane
  • saramakossaramakos Member Posts: 19
    Such a shame, IWD2 was excellent. I did vaguely recall reading something about its source missing, which is unfortunately not an uncommon situation for old games, I just wanted to be sure I was correctly reading the context of the comment :)

Maybe they just should make a premium module which is the IWD2 story in NWN ;)
    RAM021pscythe
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    saramakos said:

Staran said:

Ok, was that too soon?

I think I missed something here, unless it is a reference to IWD2 apparently missing some code making an EE hard?
    Yeah, but i never heard Beamdog ever said they have the iwd2 source.
  • prwoprwo Member Posts: 69

We have a limited use license for the Aurora source code, as such we cannot open source it or release it.

This suggests, that there is a grantor of license, who defines Beamdogs limits of use.

Who is the grantor of the license, if I may ask?
    Is Beamdog an exclusive licenso owner or is it possible for third parties to acquire affiliate licenses?
  • MrDamageMrDamage Member Posts: 210
    edited March 2018
    prwo said:

We have a limited use license for the Aurora source code, as such we cannot open source it or release it.

This suggests, that there is a grantor of license, who defines Beamdogs limits of use.

Is Beamdog an exclusive licenso owner or is it possible for third parties to acquire affiliate licenses?
    Wouldn’t that be wizards of the sword coast?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited March 2018
    prwo said:

Most likely: Bioware (Electronic Arts) and/or Wizards of the Coast (Hasbro).
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992

Ah, but you do have it!
  • prwoprwo Member Posts: 69

Most likely: Bioware (Electronic Arts) and/or Wizards of the Coast (Hasbro).

I place my bet on BioWare (EA).

Wikipedia lists BioWare (EA) as developer and Infogrames (Atari) as producer.

The Bioware homepage for the Neverwinter Nights game) lists these copyright statements:
    NEVERWINTER NIGHTS © 2002 Infogrames Entertainment, S.A. All Rights Reserved.

Manufactured and marketed by Infogrames, Inc., New York, NY. Portions © 2002 EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd.

BioWare Aurora Engine copyright 1997-2002 EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd. All Rights Reserved.

BioWare, the BioWare Aurora Engine, and the BioWare Logo are trademarks of EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd. All Rights Reserved.

Neverwinter Nights, Forgotten Realms, the Forgotten Realms logo, Dungeons & Dragons logo, Dungeon Master, D&D, and the Wizards of the Coast logo are trademarks owned by Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. and are used by Infogrames Entertainment, S.A. under license. All Rights Reserved.
    Atrophiedericpscythe