Skip to content

mp3 to bmu?

Hi, does anyone know where I can find an mp3 to bmu converter? So far my search has only found the dead web page from the old ign vault and google has failed me for the first time ever!

Comments

• Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    All I did was use the search on NWVault for mp3 to bmu and got this: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/audio/music/mp3-bmu
  • Savant1974Savant1974 Member Posts: 303

All I did was use the search on NWVault for mp3 to bmu and got this: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/audio/music/mp3-bmu

Yeah I tried that one but it doesn't work. Not sure if it's a windows 10 compatibility thing or some other problem.
    Can't you just use Audacity? It's free.
    Reiborn

Can't you just use Audacity? It's free.

I have audacity 2.1 and it has no support for .bmu files. Is it a plug-in or something?
    edited November 2017
    I do not know. The description for mp3 to bmu on NWVault says to get Audacity.

"even though Audacity has the same capability this is basic, simple, and works. If you want more control options than stick with audacity."
    Yeah I read that too. I think the relevant text is 'basic simple and works', suggesting the audacity option isn't ;) It certainly doesn't seem to be a default option, so I'm right back where I started from.
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    You do not need a converter, bmu to mp3 and mp3 to bmu is as simple as changing the extensions. Example set you files to read extensions. Example.bmu and you just rename it to Example.mp3 same to change a mp3 into a bmu. Audacity is mostly used for wav files because some people were having issues with bit rates setting on some .wav
    Savant1974ProontJuliusBorisovAndarian
    Link to video showing off unlimited .wav/bmu being played in-game all you have to do is edit some custom 2da.
    LINK
    Savant1974
    edited November 2017
    Thanks @ShadowM and @TrentOster ! Didn't realise it was going to be that simple :) Much appreciated.

Edit: Alas, while the file now with a .bmu extension still plays in an mp3 player, nwn rewards me with silence. And yes, I've put the filename into the 'ambientmusic.2da' file. Any thoughts?
    JuliusBorisov
    edited November 2017

Thanks @ShadowM and @TrentOster ! Didn't realise it was going to be that simple :) Much appreciated.

Edit: Alas, while the file now with a .bmu extension still plays in an mp3 player, nwn rewards me with silence. And yes, I've put the filename into the 'ambientmusic.2da' file. Any thoughts?

Sound like you just rename the file not the extension.
    Displaying the File Extension in Windows Vista and Windows 7

1.Click the Start menu. ...
    2.Type "folder options" (without the quotes). ...
    3.A dialog box with the title "Folder Options" will appear. click it.
    4.Click view tab scroll down list.
    5.Click to uncheck the box for "Hide extensions for known file types".
    6.Click the "OK" button at the bottom of the dialog box.

Did you add it to an area music?
    Music day / music night under area properties audio in the toolset.
    Make sure in the ambientmusic.2da you put in a name under the DisplayName Collum. This will be the name that show up in the drop-down menu when you select your area music.
    This isn't my first rodeo @ShadowM :)

I have extensions displayed. I changed it from .mp3 to .bmu.
    I added it to area music in the module.

I have 13 other tracks I've added to my mods from back in the day that required the converter to make them work in-game (just changing the extension didn't work, I now recall).

Send me one of the files if you want and I look at it.
    Savant1974
    File sent, let me know what happens.
    In case anyone reading this wants to know the outcome, the mp3 to bmu converter was required to make the music file work, and the mp3tobmu.exe file didn't work on my windows 10 machine :)

Note to Trent - consider ditching bmu and just going with ogg files :D
    edited November 2017
    Oh how about a play button in the toolset, so we can preview different music. :)
    Savant1974
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331

Yeah I tried that one but it doesn't work. Not sure if it's a windows 10 compatibility thing or some other problem.
    I have Windows 10 and a working MP3toBMU, so I don't think so. But you probably should install it somewhere Windows can't interfere with it (I have a \documents\NWTools folder for such things, I don't install such programs in C:\Program Files\...)
    @fkirenicus Doesn't matter where I put it, I get 'run time error 76, path not found'.
    edited November 2017
    From Microsoft:
    "The path to a file includes the drive specification plus the directories and subdirectories that must be traversed to locate the file. A path can be relative or absolute. This error has the following cause and solution:
    During a file-access or disk-access operation, for example, Open, MkDir, ChDir, or RmDir, the operating system was unable to find the specified path.
    Respecify the path.
    For additional information, select the item in question and press F1."

Are you sure the (relative) path is correct? I can check my when I get home from work.
    Come to think of it, I haven't used it in a while, so I'll double check that no updates (.NET) hasn't screwed it up...
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    The header for a bmu file is (without the "") "BMU V1.0"

TR
    edited November 2017

As the MP3 license is now open, I think using MP3 as a format going forward will be just fine.

That works too! Problem solved :)
  • AndarianAndarian Member Posts: 185
    edited November 2017
    @Savant1974 : It's been a few years since I've converted any music for NWN, but the process I used was always 1) Make the file in Audacity, 2) Export it in Audacity to mp3 (using lame), and 3) Run MP3toBMU to make a bmu.

I just ran a successful test on my Win10 system using a fresh copy of MP3toBMU from Sylvus' link. I converted an mp3 to bmu, renamed it to replace the theme track from the start of my first mod, dropped it into EE's music folder, and started a new game. The replacement track played instead, as expected. So I think it may be something specific to your setup.

I guess the question is which path is it complaining about. I assume you set the input and output paths in the gui to valid ones?
    edited November 2017
    @Andarian it won't even run, so I don't get to see the gui. I haven't seen any documentation for it outlining things like the directory it should be in etc, the file I got was just the .exe in a rar file. It gets a runtime error as I mentioned. By the time I get Aielund revised for EE, I'm sure I'll be using straight-up mp3 files as Trent mentioned they'll probably do, so it won't be a problem anymore and I can just focus on other aspects of the process :)
    Andarian
    Hm. That does sound odd. If I think of anything to try I'll follow up. (Maybe compatability mode?)

If you do end up needing a hand converting them, though, just let me know. It does work on my system, and a quick round of files through Dropbox would only take a few minutes. :)
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited November 2017
    Try this. Create your mp3. Open it in notepad++. You'll see what looks like garbage. Don't panic. Put your cursor at the very start of the file. Type (or cut from here and paste into your mp3) "BMU V1.0" without the quotes. Change the extension from mp3 to bmu. I am suggesting this because a good while ago I noticed that mp3 files were just 8 bytes shorter than the bmu file that they converted to. So I used winmerge to compare them. Those 8 characters I am telling you to add and wher to add them were the only difference.

Things to remember. Your mp3 must be saved with constant bit rate. I can't remember the sampling rate or whether it needs to be mono or stereo but I think it is mono.

This thread on the vault should answer some of your questions.

TR
    Andarian said:

Hm. That does sound odd. If I think of anything to try I'll follow up. (Maybe compatability mode?)

If you do end up needing a hand converting them, though, just let me know. It does work on my system, and a quick round of files through Dropbox would only take a few minutes. :)

@ShadowM helped me out too, I sent the file to him, he converted it and it worked in his game, but it still didn't work in mine. All of my older sound files I converted work though, so it's perplexing.

@TarotRedhand My music files are stereo and they work. The new file's bitrate is the same as those ones so beats me :)
    edited November 2017
    Stranger and stranger. As I recall my experience was similar to Tarot's.

Just guessing now, but is it possible the full path to the folder you're running MP3toBMU in is too long? The program might be truncating the value if it is. The result might be consistent with the error message you're getting.
    It's in D:NWTools so I don't think that's the problem. Older software tends to act in unpredictable ways on windows 10 so I'll just chalk it up to that :)
    @Savant1974 , I've checked now and my mp3tobmu works fine. Are you sure you have required files (thinking specifically of .NET 3.5 or higher) installed?