Skip to content

Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms

ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
edited August 2017 in Off-Topic
Codename Entertaiment will bring Forgotten Realms into clicker/incremental games world! =D

As of now there is very little known about the game as it was just announced today. However, you can read this article that will give you a broad overview what to expect. -> link

There is also already page on Steam -> link.
Finally, you can subscribe to newsletter -> here

Alpha test signup -> Link

I am very excited for the game as I have been playing CNE's biggest hit - Crusaders of the Lost Idols - for almost two years now. In my quite long gamer career, there were couple titles I come back from time to time, even after years (BG, IWD, PT, ME), but CotLI is bit different, because I have been playing it EVERY day for past 694 days! Due to frequent updates the meta shifts almost all the time, so there strategies and best formations fluctuate all the time (on top of that, they are dependent on what player has at the moment). Thus discussions about optimizations, weird tactics and latest additions seem to never end! =] I really hope that Idle Champions will be at least as big success for CNE as CotLI was =D

P.S.
Apologies for plenty of exclamation marks =P But I am really excited XD
Post edited by Shikao on

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Oh no, I', already addicted enough to these kinds of games as it is. The only genre where being a parent does not impact performance ;)
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

And here I thought this was going to be a thread for Forgotten Ralm's laziest characters. :wink:

Ha! I was thinking along the same line. Wow, a game about the champions that haven't been doing anything for a while...
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    Could anyone help with recognizing the champions on picture below, please?
    Minsc is officially revealed, but the rest is yours to guess. Unfortunately, my DnD lore is very limited, so I hope there are some loremasters willing to lend a helping brain =D

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    All I see is: dwarf, half-orc, elf, tengu/aarakocra, idiot Minsc, another elf (probably drow), human, female tiefling, male tiefling, and half-elf.

Not enough oozes that's for sure.
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    The one of the right is Puss in Boots. That's why Minsc is without Boo. Bad kitten.

The one of the right is Puss in Boots. That's why Minsc is without Boo. Bad kitten.

What are you talking about? Boo is safely sitting on the right shoulder of Minsc =]
    Miniature giant space doppelganger confirmed!
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    Shikao said:

What are you talking about? Boo is safely sitting on the right shoulder of Minsc =]
    Not for long, just look at the next picture - ah, not yet published.
    Third from left was revealed to be Delina, elven sorceress, so good guess @Kamigoroshi =D

@PaulaMigrate, what picture? :o
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Not puss in boots... Maybe the Kittenlord?

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Kittenlord
    Celeste and Bruenor join Minsc and Delina (and Boo!) as revealed characters =]
    Outside of Salvatore's pre-transitions characters and who we meet in BG, I'm not gonna know who anyone is.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    Is... is one of those silhouettes an Aarakocra?
    ThacoBell said:

Outside of Salvatore's pre-transitions characters and who we meet in BG, I'm not gonna know who anyone is.

For me it's BG and IWD only =P
    Pokota said:

Is... is one of those silhouettes an Aarakocra?

A what? Oo *googles* Aaaah!
    Took me a while and only 'famous' one I could find was Sallek, Who Screams, not sure though whether it's based on official material or fanmade.
    It's been a while... in meantime they revealed all starting Champions including one that will be special reward for signing up for the newsletter. Apparently, plenty of Champions come from Force Grey.

Also currently there is now chance to join alpha tests if someone is interested -> http://help.idlechampions.com/?page=alpha_signup
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Shikao I just applied :) Thanks for telling us :)
    I have been playing for last 2 days whenever I have time and I really enjoy the game. Of course you can see it's alpha, thus there is plenty of features still missing (in particular if you play CotLI), but the game definitely has potential.

Also for now, Minsc is one of my best Champions =D
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Me too :)
    Minsc is a beast, holy cow.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    What's a clicker?
    Fardragon said:

What's a clicker?

An game genre where players do basically nothing but doing repetive tasks. Mostly clicking buttons, thus the genre name. Never bothered with them myself, but apparently Google Play & Co. is flooded with them.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Sounds boring.
    Fardragon said:

Sounds boring.

Its good if you have very limited time. I can spend 5 minutes setting up my strategy and let it run, checking back once a day or so to re-adjust.
    edited August 2017
    Fardragon said:

Sounds boring.

TL,DR - I recommend trying Crusaders of the Lost Idols, before writing Champions off.

I would like to start with two excerpts from Wiki page about Incremental games. One giving a bit more detailed definition of genre and the other saying why people find it so addicting.

Incremental games, also called idle games, clicker games or clicking games, are video games whose gameplay consists of the player performing simple actions (such as clicking on the screen) repeatedly to gain currency. This can be used to obtain items or abilities that increase the rate at which currency accrues.

A common theme is to give the player sources of time-based income displayed as "buildings", such as factories or farms. In some games, even the clicking becomes unnecessary after a time, as the game plays itself, including in the player's absence, hence the moniker "idle game". Most games feature a reset-based system where the player resets the progress of their game and gain another form of currency. This new currency is normally used to gain global bonuses which does not disappear after a reset, allowing the player to go further than the previous reset.

An article in IGN describes the genre as follows:
    Idle Games seem perfectly tuned to provide a never-ending sense of escalation. They're intoxicating because upgrades or items that used to seem impossibly expensive or out of reach rapidly become achievable, and then trivial. It’s all in your rearview mirror before you know it, with a new set of crazy-expensive upgrades ahead. The games are tuned to make you feel both powerful and weak, all at once. They thrive on an addictive feeling of exponential progress.

— Justin Davis, IGN.

Just like any other video games genres incremental games are not for everybody, because it simply depends on your taste. However, if you haven't tried any yet, I would imply you do so. Though I would suggest to start with something that's not in alpha stage, cause lack of fun features and presences of multiple bugs might give you a wrong impression. Titles worth mentioning:
    • Cookie Clicker - 'The Father' of genre
    • AdventureCapitalist (AdCap)
    • Clicker Heroes (CH)
    • Crusaders of the Lost Idols (CotLI)
    Myself, I started with AdCap about 3 years ago, played it with breaks and finished it not too long ago, in meantime I had a period with CH until I lost my save. Finally, bit over 2 years ago I found CotLI. At the beginning it was nigh clone of CH, the only distinguishable feature was formation, but it was a very interesting change and required a different approach than CH. Currently you can still see it has some inspirations from CH, but it clearly went its own path and made name for itself.
    From titles above I would recommend CotLI, becuase both, Champions and Crusaders, are created by same game studio - CodenameEntertainment. Also from looks in alpha Champions will have similar relationship with CotLI as CotLi had with CH. Therefore it should give you the best approximation of whether or not Champions are for you.
    Post edited by Shikao on
    The close alpha is ending today. Early access date to be announced soon =D (no need to look out for it yourself, I will definitely post here when I know anything more =P)
    Oh the new event champion thinks he is going to take Caliope's place in my formation. That's ADORABLE.