Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    What definition are you using of a quest item? Algernon's Cloak is sought as part of a quest, though admittedly you don't know that at the point in the game where you confront Mulahey.
    StummvonBordwehrWise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Grond0: The original poverty challenge specified that quest items were items that were necessary to complete a quest, and they could only be used for that specific purpose. So you could grab the Ogre's Sword, but you can't hit anything with it. I could steal Algernon's Cloak if I had to deliver it to somebody, but I couldn't charm anybody.

When I first did the Insane Solo Poverty challenge for BG2, I made an exception for a quest-related dagger so I wouldn't have to re-cast Flame Blade all the time on my Kensai/Druid. In my previous poverty tetralogy run, I made an exception for the Rift Device because defeating the Unseeing Eye would genuinely not be possible in an SCS poverty run unless I was already at epic levels or something.
    StummvonBordwehrWise_GrimwaldGrond0JuliusBorisov
    @Grond0: Good luck! You should be able to take down Belhifet as long as you stay on the move, keep the party defended against fire spells, Hold Person, fear, and charm, and make sure you don't cast Lower Resistance unless Belhifet's aura is fogged.

Don't make the mistake I did and underestimate the threat of the demons on the elevator. Seeking Sword may be necessary to get past their MR.
    Wise_Grimwald

Woo! @Grond0's in BG2! I have no idea what your plans are for SoA, but I can't wait to see how you approach Chapter 2. Are you on Insane difficulty with bonus damage disabled? Testing found that was the only difficulty where the enemy cast Remove Magic.

What's the deal with Bence Duncan, anyway? I've never run into him before.

Plans, I don't need no steenking plans! Well at least I haven't thought about any so far - I know SoA pretty well though so would expect to try and muddle through. I'm just on Core - that was quite enough for me in SoD :p.

Bence obviously had a bone to pick with me on the way out. Corwin was originally also after me, but in a conversation switched sides and tried to protect me - I let the fight between them run out of interest and Bence beat him up pretty easily before I killed him. I think I've seen him before on the way out, but I've not actually killed him - normally I just run through to finish the game as quickly as possible.
    semiticgoddessJuliusBorisovWise_Grimwaldlolien
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    @Grond0 Congratulations.
    semiticgoddessStummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisovlolien
  • EnuhalEnuhal Member Posts: 920
    edited December 2017
    Regarding the phase spider spawn: When I entered the area in my current run, I immediately rested upon entering, before any phase spiders arrived. After that, only a single phase spider teleported to my position. Not sure if the rest screwed up the teleporting of additional spiders, but if it didn't, the number indeed seems to be random (as I remember having to fight more of those in previous SCS runs).
    BlackravenJuliusBorisovlolien
    I started over once again, but this time, I dropped everyone off at Kagain's place before taking Tiax out to Mutamin's Garden (to avoid re-installation problems with BWS, I'm just using the console to add in NPCs where SCS is supposed to move them). Tiax summoned a ghast, we kicked Tiax out of the party, and once our ghast collected 10,000 XP for Frisk, our Charname, we headed north to the Larswood to recruit Baeloth.

I tried to charm Silke with Baeloth's Dire Charm spell, but it turns out that unlike Algernon's Cloak, that charm spell isn't safe if it fails. We turned her hostile and were forced to flee using Expeditious Retreat, forfeiting our chance to kill the spiders.

We then went to the Friendly Arm Inn, slew Tarnesh with a Fireball, and gathered Jaheira and Khalid. After dropping off Khalid in some peasant's home, we took Jaheira out to the ankheg farm, where we used her SR druid summoning spells to distract the bugs with bats and dogs while the party took them down at range with Magic Missiles, Melf's Acid Arrows, and Magical Stones. Once the ankhegs were gone, we sent Jaheira packing, did some minor quests, and finally took down Greywolf with damage spells and kiting. Prism finally bumped Baeloth up to level 7, granting us access to a high-end Sleep spell (we can knock out anything level 7 and below) as well as Invisibility Sphere.

We snuck back into Beregost and smuggled the party out of town without Silke noticing. Everyone but Baeloth and Frisk is at level 1, but I think we can tackle the Nashkel mines safely if we Fireball everything to death.

Does anyone have any ideas about how we can deal with Silke now that she's hostile?
    StummvonBordwehrArctodusJuliusBorisovlolien
    Enuhal said:

Regarding the phase spider spawn: When I entered the area in my current run, I immediately rested upon entering, before any phase spiders arrived. After that, only a single phase spider teleported to my position. Not sure if the rest screwed up the teleporting of additional spiders, but if it didn't, the number indeed seems to be random (as I remember having to fight more of those in previous SCS runs).

The phase spiders react to triggers I think. One of those is your arrival in the area, so there's a good chance of an immediate greeting there - though it's possible no spiders at all will respond. Another is being in combat though, so I find the main danger is not an immediate group of spiders arriving (I just run away), but being sucked forward a bit by say a single spider only for several more to arrive and block your retreat. For that reason I would only send a single character forward from the edge of the map to start with.
    StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisovlolien