Skip to content

[MOD PREVIEW] The Fallen Light (SoD spoilers)

Comments

• saber0saber0 Member Posts: 84
    sweet
    thanks for the update!
  • HooAmEyeHooAmEye Member Posts: 21
    Sounds awesome, sounds like it will help tie the series together a bit more
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    That last point under spoilers sounds particularly interesting.
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    @Artemius_I
    good to see you are still working on it. i'm especially curious about the last point you mentioned in the spoiler section.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    I'm sure you've already thought about it - your mods being usually well written - but if you haven't, interaction between Caelar and Irenicus could be nice
    Super nice project though, I must say I am quite hyped right now.
  • cherryzerocherryzero Member Posts: 129
    This really looks amazing. I'd say this mod, more than anything else, has me interested in replaying the trilogy yet again.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Hello, thank you all! Unfortunately, because I'm taking a couple of classes over summer, I'll have less time to dedicate to modding. Progress will be slow, probably nonexistent, until late June/early July.
    JuliusBorisovThacoBell
  • cherryzerocherryzero Member Posts: 129

Hello, thank you all! Unfortunately, because I'm taking a couple of classes over summer, I'll have less time to dedicate to modding. Progress will be slow, probably nonexistent, until late June/early July.

Considering I've played this game on and off since 1998 I don't think a few extra months wait to replay it again is going to affect me much :-)
  • FiastraFiastra Member Posts: 33
    Artemius, you're a true hero. Can't wait to play this mod :)
  • MiridorMiridor Member Posts: 90
    Any news? Yes, yes, I know, patience is a virtue, but... I want to play this :-)
    ThacoBell
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    Any progress/news?
    There are about 3 other mods being worked on before this continues.
  • BleriotBleriot Member Posts: 31

I've noticed that there's been a resurgence in discussion on Caelar and SoD in general, and this mod's been mentioned a few times. I'm sorry to say that progress has still been slow, but in light of the recent rise of interest I've gone back to drafting on the mod's plot. I'm aware that I've been very cryptic regarding the details of the mod, and deliberately so, but if there's any questions people want to ask I'll be happy to answer at my own discretion.

Actually the mod discussed recently for SoD (https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/960414/#Comment_960414 and afterwards) wasn't yours.
    Yours sems to be about what happens to Caelar after SoD, I understood. Discussion was more about having an alternative within SoD to side with her against Mr.H and his master. There is a mod that provides that http://www.shsforums.net/topic/59746-mod-shine-on-caelar-part-1/. That mod however does not change anything in SoD outcome, it's just an alternative to reach the portal in Dragonspear. Once you are there, the original game continues including all of Caelar. I tested it and Caelar events during Avernus are the same and ending is also same.
    In the other mod it says this:
    Part 2 is currently suspended for release until details about a possible other mod that may bring Caelar back to the game are known. This is to avoid overlap or incompatibility. (Note that part 1 stays true to the original SoD contents concerning Caelar and therefore should be compatible with any mod that adds her in later parts.)

Sounds like care is taken not to overlap with your planning. And maybe not do part 2 if yours covers same topic?
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,680
    There are also other topic, Bleriot, and that WAS also about this mod, not just "Shine". It was about what both modders are planning to release.
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/957833/#Comment_957833
    ThacoBellJuliusBorisov
    Still hyped for this.
    RaduzielContemplative_HamsterFlashburn
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    ThacoBell said:

Still hyped for this.

Me too. I've been looking forward to the idea for a long time.

@Artemius_I - were you still planning on the "Caelar joins at a decently higher level, but progresses slower" idea? I've always wondered how that would balance out.
    edited March 2018
    @BallpointMan

Caelar will join with the same gear and experience as in SoD (1.75m) but have a permanent -20% penalty to experience gained. While she is very powerful when recruited, she will lag behind your other party members quickly. That being said, she will gain some strong ability and exp rewards that make sure she doesn't fall off the radar by SoA endgame.

Also, the quest that leads to her recruitment is designed for a party of roughly 1m experience's worth of levels, so she won't have over double or triple the party's experience.

Mild spoilers (though the contents no longer really apply):
    The original draft had a curse placed upon her that would incur a -50% penalty to experience until further in her plot. However it had bad results when tested and was scrapped.
    Post edited by TheArtisan on
    JuliusBorisov
    I'm curious as to how you are approaching writing her. She is one of the more polarizing characters and even among the people who like her, interpretations of her character/motives vary greatly.
    Dev6
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Oh man, I wasn't aware this mod was being made. Will definitely be following this.
    ThacoBell
    That sounds very interesting.
    JuliusBorisov
  • RVNSRVNS Member Posts: 285
    Must. Want. NEED.
    ThacoBellRaduziel
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659

@BallpointMan

Caelar will join with the same gear and experience as in SoD (1.75m) but have a permanent -20% penalty to experience gained. While she is very powerful when recruited, she will lag behind your other party members quickly. That being said, she will gain some strong ability and exp rewards that make sure she doesn't fall off the radar by SoA endgame.

Also, the quest that leads to her recruitment is designed for a party of roughly 1m experience's worth of levels, so she won't have over double or triple the party's experience.

Mild spoilers (though the contents no longer really apply):

The original draft had a curse placed upon her that would incur a -50% penalty to experience until further in her plot. However it had bad results when tested and was scrapped.

Bad results, huh? I guess she fell behind too quickly?

Anyways - At first, I was thinking that this might be pretty frustrating - but I guess it makes a kind of sense. Different classes in BG2 excel at different points in time, she'll be no different.
    @BallpointMan She is a VERY strong NPC. Being a little behind in levels won't hurt her one bit.
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Looking forward to this!
    ThacoBellFlashburn
    Out of curiosity, which sounds more suitable as a Kit name:
    1. Champion of the Aster
    2. Aster Knight
    CaszidyJuliusBorisovThacoBell