Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited December 2017
    @Flamedance just to make sure I wasn't remembering behavior from BGT I started a game in vanilla BG1. Here's Shoal's dialogue being triggered by a single arrow shot by Imoen.
    I didn't do a screenshot, but I also checked that LMD worked just as well - confirming that the type of damage done has never been important (you just need to make sure someone is in melee range in order for Shoal to be able to talk to them).
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehrCorey_Russellsemiticgoddess
  • FlamedanceFlamedance Member Posts: 12
    Ah, thanks. Confirms that you have to be in melee range to trigger the conversation, at least in vanilla.
    Grond0JuliusBorisov
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    You also have to ensure that you don't use weapons or spells that could interupt dialogue. (A weapon that stuns for example) (Or kills too quickly for that matter.)
    JuliusBorisovGrond0
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I found a new way to duplicate ammunition from Enchanted Weapon, plus a way to attack even if our slings and bows and crossbows vanish. Now the whole party can throw bullets and bolts at will.
    StummvonBordwehrWise_Grimwald
    edited December 2017

@Grond0, do you have any suggestions? Frisk is at level 7, Baeloth at 8, Tiax at 5/6, Yeslick at 5/5, Jaheira at 5/5, and Faldorn at 8. Neither Frisk nor Baeloth have Slow, Malison, or any disablers aside from Web. Currently my only idea is to stack a whole bunch of Fire Traps, but I've seen there are limits to spell-based traps, since weird things happen when two spells hit on the same frame, and I'm concerned that the terribly short range of Fire Trap will prevent me from reaching all of the doppelgangers.

I can always turn Liia Jannath invisible, but I'm concerned that the doppelgangers will simply overwhelm us and possibly kill a party member or two before we manage to bring them down.

Can we complete the game if Sarevok kills Belt but Liia Jannath survives under Invisibility?

I don't think fire traps will necessarily give a complete answer as the dopplegangers transform separately rather than all together. However, careful placement of multiple stacks of those could probably wipe out most of the dopplegangers (you can use thief traps as well). By the sound of it Yeslick should give you a good chance of killing the mage quickly and summons should help manage any others remaining without too much trouble. I suspect the biggest threat to your party would be the assassin, so if he's not killed by traps I would be inclined to keep everyone invisible until he appears (1 character triggering the fight by making Liia invisible and then retreating to a side room). And yes, there's no problem with only Liia surviving (if Belt is already dead and she's invisible when the last of the dopplegangers dies you want to lure her to the back of the room or a side room before talking to avoid Sarevok killing her).
    semiticgoddessStummvonBordwehrWise_Grimwald
    @Grond0: Wouldn't it be possible to save Liia from Sarevok just with another Invisibility spell?
  • Serg_BlackStriderSerg_BlackStrider Member Posts: 210

Frisk: Poverty Run with Spell Revisions

Yeslick reminds me of his importance by dispelling all of Prat's buffs, including Improved Invisibility and its +4 to AC and saving throws, allowing Tiax's ghast to paralyze him.

I believe, Improved Invisibility under SR doesn't have saving throws bonuses anymore, only +4 to AC.

@Grond0: Wouldn't it be possible to save Liia from Sarevok just with another Invisibility spell?

@semiticgod it would, yes. However, a single hit from Sarevok could kill her so you'd need to prepare carefully if you were relying on making her disappear again before he could attack - and just dragging her out of his sight would seem easier to me.
    StummvonBordwehrWise_Grimwaldsemiticgoddess
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Grond0 said:

Pantalion said:

Not five minutes breathing, and already getting drunk in church. Classy, Ishlilka.

:D

A Skald with max HP rolls, a Longbow of 3 APR, Bardic Bracers of +3 ranged THAC0, a +2 Cloak of Bard Protection, a Greenstone Amulet, and a skull. Who despite being "Lawful Neutral" loves our party's spontaneity and excitement and wants to come along.

What the frig is in Dark Horizons that this is remotely sensible?
    If you've not come across them before there are several pretty nasty encounters in Dark Horizons - have fun B).

Considering how much god tier loot I've seen, I'm sort of expecting a Demilich at this point. Should I actually be buying some of this stuff to stand a chance? Or is it as excessive as it appears?
    Wise_Grimwald
    It's as excessive as it appears. You don't need good equipment to beat the encounters, but if you're not expecting an encounter and enemies use their own 'god tier' loot on you, it's possible to get into trouble very quickly.
    PantalionStummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisovsemiticgoddess
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    When I kicked that Skald out for the crime of excessive bling she kept singing, giving me combat bonuses whilst we remained in Beregost. Rather handy given that a big part of Dark Horizons is around there...
    Grond0PantalionWise_GrimwaldStummvonBordwehr
    At least the next time around is going to be smoother. I have a solid formula now that should take us all the way to the endgame with rather minimal work and risk:

1. Ditch all player-created characters in Beregost to save them for BG2.
    2. Use Korax to collect at least 10,000 XP.
    3. Grab Baeloth and wipe out the Nashkel mines with Fireball and Web, and do any other minor quests necessary to get Charname to level 4. Kill Tranzig by abusing the stairway.
    4. Drop Baeloth and trigger the Lamalha and Molkar ambushes under Invisibility. Use a disposable NPC to trigger the trap in the bandit camp and snag the documents.
    5. Bring back Baeloth and do minor quests until he has Invisibility Sphere. Recruit Coran in the Cloakwood and invest however many points into Find Traps are necessary to deal with the post-Ducal Palace maze traps (@Grond0, how much is that?).
    6. Enter the Phase Spider area of the Cloakwood, open with Invisibility Sphere, and use Invisibility on Charname to disarm the Web traps, freeing the way to the rest of the Cloakwood.
    7. Grab Faldorn and farm wyverns until she's level 7. Use her summons to deal with Drasus et al.
    8. Bring Yeslick into the party.
    9a. Have Coran disarm the traps in Davaeorn's lair.
    9b. Use Dire Charm on the guard to lure the Battle Horrors over, and use Invisibility Sphere to keep the guard alive while the sorcerers kill the Battle Horrors with spell damage.
    9c. Try to kill Davaeorn with the charmed guard.
    9d. If the guard dies, bait Davaeorn with a disposable NPC or summons, then hide until the guards gather around Davaeorn and hold him in place.
    9e. Wait out Davaeorn's buffs or use Yeslick's Dispel Magic to take them down, then Web the guards.
    9f. Bait Davaeorn into expending his aura by sending out a cheap summons, throw some damage spells at Davaeorn while his aura is clouded, and retreat.
    9g. Repeat 9f until Davaeorn is dead.
    10. Use stealth to get the Iron Throne documents and coast through major fights by relying on Invisibility Sphere in-combat and Fire Trap outside of combat.
    11. Use Yeslick's Dispel Magic to break down Cythandria's and Kristin's defenses, and kill Slythe with Fire Traps.
    12. Turn Liia Jannath invisible, kill the Ducal Palace doppelgangers with Fire Traps, debuff survivors with Dispel Magic, and finish off the doppelgangers with summons and spell damage.
    13. Turn Coran invisible and have him disarm the maze traps while summons deal with the enemies in the maze.
    14. Sneak past the Undercity party. Recruit Dynaheir for extra Fireballs.
    15a. Lure Sarevok and company to the southeast corner of the screen.
    15b. Bait Angelo with a Dread Wolf and hit him with Yeslick's Dispel Magic. Once his defenses are down and his aura is fogged, rush in with spell damage and more summons.
    15c. Bomb Sarevok and company with Fireballs.
    15d. Distract and kite Sarevok with summons and hit him with Melf's Acid Arrow, Magic Missiles, and +3 arrows from Coran.

Final party:

Frisk, level 7
    Baeloth, level 8
    Faldorn, level 8
    Coran, level 5/5
    Dynaheir, level 6
    Yeslick, level 5/6

This formula minimizes XP gathering, relying on fast leveling for Charname at Mutamin's garden to make NPCs join the party at high XP (I collected over 120,000 XP in the previous run just by recruiting NPCs at high levels). Switching around NPCs for their special abilities and bonus XP will let us complete the game at unnaturally low levels.
    ArctodusStummvonBordwehr
    Actually, you know what? I don't want to do all those steps over again. I've already done half of them once before, and the other half twice. I've already demonstrated the power of recruiting NPCs at strategically placed times.

I wanna see how far I can push the Reform Party trick.
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 996
    Tough breaks @semiticgod and @Wise_Grimwald - Best of luck in your next runs.
    semiticgoddessPantalionArctodus