Skip to content

A little poll from a DM

MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
Well, I used to play tabletop RPGs as a teenager. Mostly games like: AD&D2 (Forgotten Realms and Dark Sun), RuneQuest (3rd edition but the French edition, which stuck to Glorantha), Stormbringer etc.

I left and came back decades later. And I found the genre changed a lot.

We went from "simulationist" systems like AD&D2 and RuneQuest to "narrative" ones like D&D5 or Numenéra. In the same fashion official modules moved from linear structures (going from A to B etc.) to "sandbox" ones.

Going straight from the old to the new, the contrast is quite striking. So which in your opinion in better:

Old school: simulationist systems with linear scenaristic structure
Recent: narrative with sandbox scenaristic structure

Comments

• tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Old school. In and of itself, the recent approach might be better, but I found the old version gives you a better framework to do whatever you want.
    Zaghoul
  • dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377
    edited December 2017
    @Matthieu
    you are gonna be a better dm than my friend... he summoned goku and vegeta to deal 1.500 and 3.000 damage respectively kame hame ha and final flash respectively...
    He also said that we could roll for half...
    I was so proud of my roll... (no didnt roll)
    Malicron
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
    edited January 2018
    Simulationist systems I find fit better duels than group fights. Fights with group of players and ennemies quickly turn muddy with these systems. A turn can last minutes and people will lose focus.

Regarding the story, I'm more a sandbox guy. Creating a context, a string of events and players will try to fit in there. Feels like the world goes on regardless of what the players do or don't do. Since we're in Baldur's Gate's official forums I loved the sequel "Murder in Baldur's Gate" for that. The group of player lost its way chasing every trail and finally caught none.
    Post edited by Matthieu on
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I found it intriguing.

I like both. Which one I would choose depends on the group I’m playing with. I find linear simulations with hard structure are better with more math-oriented and inflexible groups who just want their characters to do some fighting.
    But the narrative style is definitely better for players who are more interested in the interaction and the sake of the story for the fun of it. It can be much more difficult to plan for, especially if your group prefers simulation-style, but if you got the right group then it flows almost naturally.
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
    Don't be sorry, new or old opinions are always welcome.