Skip to content

The ultra-cheesy adventures of an evil puppet master

OlderThan13YearsOlderThan13Years Member Posts: 79
edited October 2016 in Challenges and Playthroughs
Yesterday I rolled a 106 (thanks to auto-roller) on a chaotic evil sorcerer and decided to start a new vanilla (long-time) playthrough (BG1 + SoD + BG2)...

I will try to make this playthrough as interesting as possible. There are a lot of exploits and dirty tricks which can be used to cause absurd and interesting events. So it shouldn't be difficult to create an exciting journey.

One of the most important exploits is related to the level 1 charm spell (it can be abused to send NPCs to other areas (charmed creatures follow you to other areas if they attack one of your party members)). So I am going to make extensive use of it.

The character (Yxunomei, also called char):

Candlekeep (The Massacre):

After buying some basic equipment (a sling and a lot of bullets) from Winthrop, talking to Firebead about his missing identify scroll and looting the bookshelfs and cabinets on the first floor of Candlekeep Inn, we go up to the second floor and find 4 closed chests. The first chest burst open at the mere sight of our char's enormous arm muscles but no matter what we try, Yxunomei isn't able to open one of the other chests. We spend several minutes of clicking at these damned things with no success.

So we give up (for now) and decide to talk to Tethtoril about Firebead's identify scroll. Somehow our char managed to finish this and all other quests in Candlekeep without killing anyone for their impertinent requests (except two cats in the storehouse). Back in the Inn we think about the chest problem. What would need to happen to crack the 3 locks? Yxunomei would need to become much stronger or get an appropriate spell. There is no way to increase the strength of a level 1 sorcerer in Candlekeep but one bloody path to the knock spell. All we have to do is to wipe out Candlekeep.

Unfortunately, there are a few invincible NPCs (Tethtoril and the guard outside of the walls who is not reachable anyway) and NPCs that we need to continue our journey (Gorion). Furthermore we intend to complete all quests (or at least as many as possible). So killing Firebead is not an option.

Winthrop and the Priest of Oghma are useful to sell the armors of the guards and to increase our reputation, respectively. Yxunomei have to keep them alive till the end of the killing spree. So she casts charm spells on Winthrop and lures him to the bunkhouse where he is in a safe place. After using our last spell on the hostile innkeeper, we can talk to him to make a rest and regenerate completely. We repeat the same procedure to the Priest of Oghma and let him return to the Priest's Quarters. Now, everything is prepared for our 'project'.

We start the massacre with Phlydia. She is a decent opponent but can nether resist Yxunomei's charm nor her own stinking cloud. She is lying unconscious on the floor as one of our bullets kills her.

6000 xp and 50 dead people later, char has reached level 3. We camp in the castle courtyard to decoy more guards. Our sling demands 23 more victims before we reach level 4 and the knock spell.

Our char returns to Candlekeep Inn. It takes a while to get rid of Firebead without slaughtering him. We use our 3 knock spells on all 3 chests. Yxunomei finds a potion of clarity and a star saphir.

Before we leave Candlekeep, we sell the stuff of Yxunomei's victims to Winthrop (32 plate mails and other stuff) but we keep Hull's sword as souvenier (every serial killer likes souveniers, right?). The plump innkeeper receives a bullet as reward for his services. Then we go to the priest to improve our bad reputation. For some reason he doesn't want to offer any services. Nevertheless he deserves the same reward as Winthrop. Our last victim in Candlekeep dies next to our first one (Shank the assassin).

It's time to leave this place... As we try to talk to Gorion, he grills us with a lightning bolt. He seems to be upset about our little cleaning action but thanks to power of the reload function and the charm spell we manage to calm him down.

Yxunomei leaves Candlekeep with to following result:
  • Gold: +7690
  • Reputation Change: -7
  • Experience Gain: 10065 (level 4)
  • Number of kills: 82
  • Finished Quests: Firebead's Scroll, Phlydia's Book, An Errand for Fuller, Hull's Sword, Dreppin's Cow, Reevor's Storehouse
  • Time: Day 2, Hour 20
  • Comments: Imoen is still alive
Post edited by OlderThan13Years on

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    This will be a great read! I'm gonna mark this thread so I don't miss anything.
  • OlderThan13YearsOlderThan13Years Member Posts: 79
    edited October 2016
    Skatan said:

This will be a great read! I'm gonna mark this thread so I don't miss anything.

Thanks! Hopefully, I can find some strange cheese in the next weeks.
  • billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361
    Hilarious! Love this! I'd love to watch videos of this happening!
    edited October 2016
    That's not a bad idea. Not sure if I could make videos but I can try it.

Btw. I discovered a serious issue in my savegame. Hopefully, I can find a workaround.

Edit:
    The extinction of the inhabitants of Candlekeep wasn't that clever as I thought. The Keeper of the Portal is now hostile and can't be charmed because his magic restistance is 100 %. So we are not going to enter Candlekeep in the usual way but that's a later problem. Fortunately, there is a nice exploit...
    Post edited by OlderThan13Years on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Interesting actions. I've enjoyed, among other things, the way you gave a neutral to a bear and left Tarnesh inside a building.

You can lower his magic resistance with the 5th level divine spell (available to druids in BG1 under the level cap and also to clerics if the level cap is removed).

You can get inside Candlekeep with Ctrl J (if the console is enabled).
    edited October 2016

You can lower his magic resistance with the 5th level divine spell (available to druids in BG1 under the level cap and also to clerics if the level cap is removed).

Ohh thank you! I overlooked this.
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    Very interesting way to approch the game. Sounds like fun - keep on writing! ;)
    edited October 2016
    It's not as interesting as in the later parts of the game. My possibilities are pretty limited at the moment. Basically, I am using only one exploit and do similar things over and over again (e.g. feed creature A to creature B :D ).

There are very interesting opprtunities in Baldur's Gate (City). So it's probably the best to rush through the next 2 or 3 chapters.

Btw. Does anyone know how to 'conjure' Biff the Understudy (without console)? I tried several things (e.g. I removed Sarevok in the Duke's Palace and started the dialog of the nobles) but nothing worked.
    Hilarious! I wonder, how did you take out Elminster the second time? You don't have time to set up traps that time, iirc.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150

Yxunomei met Nimbul on the road through Nashkel. She was gracious enough to charm him and to take him to one of the back-rooms of the Nashkel Inn (together with Neira).

That made my day :lol:

The way Yxunomei kneads the game's dirt brings back memories of my past charname, the bitchy vampire Julia. She rocked through BG1&2&ToB in a similar fashion, but SoD didn't yet exist back then. Can't wait to see Yxunomei dig up more fun exploits and fool SoD's instant imprisonment police with some cheese sauce.
    @Skatan
    It was much easier to set up the traps because Elminster waited in front of the Thunderhammer Smithy and the party entered the area in the south near the jovial juggler.

@God
    I hate this police. So hopefully, Yxunomei can find a way to punish these guys. :)
    However, SoD is better protected against some exploits. 'bitchy vampire Julia' sounds like custom race or class?

I hate this police. So hopefully, Yxunomei can find a way to punish these guys. :)
    However, SoD is better protected against some exploits. 'bitchy vampire Julia' sounds like custom race or class?

That's the girl. Very bitchy, very vampire-y and voiced by Laura Bailey :smirk:
    Technically, she was a chaotic evil elf fighter/mage/thief using Bodhi's animations and equipped with a custom vampire-like claw attack. I also made her completely immune to all conventional affects other than simple damage, so I could easily recognize when the games use scripted instakill cheese as opposed to lethal spells allowing no save. I played on a heavily modded BGT though, so she had a slightly different array of glitches to use and didn't get to tease any of the EE and SoD NPCs with her tricks.

This was so awesome that it paused the game in German :lol:

Loving the statue museum, too.
    edited November 2016
    Upps, you got me. :D
    Sometimes my Linux version of Baldur's Gate resets itself to German.
    Reading this at work, so trying my best not to laugh out loud - it's hard! This was a great read, THANK YOU for sharing this epic anti-hero's playthrough. I would never have thought about one tenth of the things you've done. Charming Sarevok? The idea has never even struck me!
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    10/10. You made me laugh so hard with this one. I take my hat off, please continue this one!
    edited December 2017
    That was a busy year... :)
    CrevsDaak said:

I take my hat off, please continue this one!

Soon.
    Yes, yes, yes! The sword coasts biggest charmer is coming back!? :D
    edited September 2018
    That's unlikely or more precisely I prefer to start over creating a similar character. Yxunomei was an interesting psychopath individual and the playthrough was fun and all but she still wasn't perfect enough from a powergamer's perspective. I mean she should have been an elf instead of a dirty little half-elf ( this little detail bugged me all the time :D ).

The playthrough was too rushed, so I haven't had time to test all my ideas or to make videos from the highlights of her journey. Ohh and we got a new patch a few days ago.

Briefly, there are good reasons to let her die. Or maybe she doesn't need to die.... Idea: The story told in this thread never really happened. Yxunomei was just experiencing a horrible nightmare. She dreamed she was a disgusting half-elf (of course the term 'disgusting' is redundant; all of them are nauseating beings in her eyes). Anyway, when she awakes, she will find herself laying in front of Winthrop's tavern...

I need some time to generate a decent roll (106 or higher). That shouldn't take too long using multiple instances of an auto-roller in parallel (current value: 103 after ~20 minutes of autorolling).
    Skatan said:

Yes, yes, yes! The sword coasts biggest charmer is coming back!? :D

Please allow me to quote a brilliant mind above.
    edited October 2018
    And she's still sleeping due to insufficient rolls... *sigh*

• GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    edited October 2018
    Don't overestimate your luck, rolling a 106 requires you to roll either 5*18 and a 16, or 4*18 and 2*17, which averages to a 1.4769601e-13 chance if I'm not wrong, of course this number doesn't take into account the minimum stats for your race / class, but still. In the past I have let an autoroller run for days and nights and I got a few 103, only one 104 and nothing ever above.

I think 103+ should be more than enough for the revival of Yxunomei :smiley:
    Why do a sorc needs WIS and INT w/ regards to powerplaying? They do nothing but add lore values for a sorc, right? Sure, some INT to use wands and to perhaps take a hit or two from a illithid, but other than that?
    edited October 2018
    I know I know it's not really necessary to roll a 106+ character but overcoming my obsessions is so hard... ^^

Anyway, I will try to start next week. I just need to find a decent elf portrait.

@Gotural
    I think this number is not correct. My chances are significantly better (hopefully). ^^ I've consulted the forums and my math skills.