Skip to content

G3: IWDification Returns with a Shiny New Beta

CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
edited January 2018 in General Modding
IWDification is a mod to bring some of the elements of Icewind Dale into the Baldur's Gate series of games. A lot of this project is based upon the work of the IWD-in-BG2 conversion project, which later formed the backbone of IWDEE. The mod adds various elements such as selectable bard songs, two-handed axes, and over 70 new spells into your BG2, Tutu, BGT, BGEE, or BG2EE game. Every component can be installed independently of one another.

Beta 4 is a major overhaul of the mod with a complete revamp of the new spells.

Beta 5 does the same for the bard songs and cleans up some other small bugs.
Post edited by CamDawg on
RaduzielAedanronaldoJuliusBorisovAstroBryGuyGrammarsaladArctoduslolienbob_vengFenghoang

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited January 2018
    @CamDawg How the Bard Song component behaves with other mod kits for Bards? No problem as long as the Bard Kit doesn't alters the base class' song?

Should kits related to spellcasters be added before or after IWDification?

Are you using the same codes (SPWIYYY SPCLKKK) that IWD uses?

Thanks!
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    edited January 2018
    Raduziel said:

@CamDawg How the Bard Song component behaves with other mod kits for Bards? No problem as long as the Bard Kit doesn't alters the base class' song?

Only trueclass bards get the new song selection, and it does it by bypassing (not replacing) the regular song via the trueclass CLAB. The regular song is unchanged, and if you want a bard kit to use IWDification's songs you can do it simply by adding one line to their CLAB.
    Raduziel said:

Should kits related to spellcasters be added before or after IWDification?

IWDification simply provides the spells; the only changes it makes to content is to update the spellbooks of joinable divine casters. There shouldn't be any interaction here--or, at least, no interaction from IWDification.
    Raduziel said:

Are you using the same codes (SPWIYYY SPCLKKK) that IWD uses?

No, they're installed dynamically using ADD_SPELL. The scrolls are fixed resources, though--the presence of cdia432.itm means Vitriolic Sphere is installed, but whether the actual spell is SPWI432 or SPWI449 or whatever is not set. You'll need to use IDS_OF_SYMBOL for that--it's what I have to do internally for the spells when they reference one another, so there are examples in the mod itself.
    RaduzielAstroBryGuy
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Awesome!

Do the arcane scrolls get added to the shops in SoD? Or Black Pits?
    tbone1Grammarsalad
    edited January 2018

Awesome!

Shoot, this never even occurred to me, as I was mainly focused on getting the spells to work. Something for the next version.
    tbone1AstroBryGuylolien
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    edited January 2018
    I recently did a BG playthrough with a bard who could sing the IWD bard songs. There's a few things I noted.

First, when you wear the Bard Hat in SoD and BG2EE, the different songs bonuses stack with themselves. I corrected it by simply adding Opcode 321 to each songs.

Second, the IWD bard songs don't seem to have a limit to their radius. They seem to be affecting any party member no matter what is the distance from the bard.

Third, the Siren's Yearning seems to be broken, in that it affects enemies AND neutral character, also without a radius. I had to completely avoid that song during my playthrough.

Those problems might be relative to my install, but I don't think so. Are any of those problems addressed in the new beta ?
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Arctodus said:

I recently did a BG playthrough with a bard who could sing the IWD bard songs. There's a few things I noted.

First, when you wear the Bard Hat in SoD and BG2EE, the different songs bonuses stack with themselves. I corrected it by simply adding Opcode 321 to each songs.

Second, the IWD bard songs don't seem to have a limit to their radius. They seem to be affecting any party member no matter what is the distance from the bard.

Third, the Siren's Yearning seems to be broken, in that it affects enemies AND neutral character, also without a radius. I had to completely avoid that song during my playthrough.

Those problems might be relative to my install, but I don't think so. Are any of those problems addressed in the new beta ?

There's this regarding the range of the songs.
    ArctodusJuliusBorisovtbone1
    It's nice to know. It was actually nice to have an infinite range, but I was wondering if this was intended since it differs from the unmodded game behavior.

Siren's Yearning without a range is a problem though, because that ability with a range is already really strong. Without a range, well, that was a bit more overpowered...
    Arctodus said:

Isn't that kinda the point of the hat? Adding 321s can create other issues, like a party with multiple bards singing different songs and not getting any benefits. I'll think about this.
    Arctodus said:

Yeah, this is by design. The regular song being of a limited range is actually an imported bug from Fixpack, and will be addressed by the 2.5 patch for EE and is already addressed in the new Fixpack betas for vanilla.
    Arctodus said:

Yep, this is an unaddressed bug. I'll add it to the list for the next release.
    ArctodusAstroBryGuy
    I don't think you understood me. The effect of each song last for 3 rounds, so you get three times the effect of one song after 3 rounds.

For example, with the Bard Hat, you get +6 to AC when you use War Chant of Sith. You can also get +9 to all saves (!!!) with Tymora's Melody. +3 to thac0, to damage and to saves with Ballad of the Three Heroes. I haven't tried, but I also wonder if the enemies have to save 3 times to prevent being enthralled with Siren's Yearning.

I just added "self-referential" 321s fo each songs to prevent the stacking. Different songs will still stack. I tried the Bard Hat with a skald and the bonuses were not stacking with themselves.
    edited January 2018
    What is the purpose of the "Testing" component? It looks like it sets the frame X center (frame offset + 0x04) to 0. Am I understanding the code correctly?

EDIT: Not palette offset, frame X center.

https://gibberlings3.github.io/iesdp/file_formats/ie_formats/bam_v1.htm#bamv1_Header
    Arctodus said:

I don't think you understood me. The effect of each song last for 3 rounds, so you get three times the effect of one song after 3 rounds.

Oh! I got it now. Yeah, this is a bug.

What is the purpose of the "Testing" component? It looks like it sets the frame X center (frame offset + 0x04) to 0. Am I understanding the code correctly?

https://gibberlings3.github.io/iesdp/file_formats/ie_formats/bam_v1.htm#bamv1_Header

Oh, FFS. I was testing if I could recenter the various spell item BAMs from their EE offsets to vanilla offsets--e.g. Decastave would appear fine for EE, but offset into the corner for vanilla. The code worked and was incorporated into the spell components directly, and the testing bits should have been removed.
    AstroBryGuy
    CamDawg said:

Awesome!

Shoot, this never even occurred to me, as I was mainly focused on getting the spells to work. Something for the next version.
    Pull request sent!

https://github.com/Gibberlings3/iwdification/pull/2
    And pulled. Cheers!
    AstroBryGuy
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714

CamDawg said:

Awesome!

Pull request sent!

https://github.com/Gibberlings3/iwdification/pull/2
    Why not any stores in BGEE (like High Hedge and the Sorcerous Sundries)?
    They're already covered--High Hedge gets level 1 & 2 scrolls, Sorcerous Sundries gets levels 1-5. I was missing content just for SoD and BP1/2.
    RaduzielAstroBryGuyGusinda
    CamDawg said:

Oh, FFS. I was testing if I could recenter the various spell item BAMs from their EE offsets to vanilla offsets--e.g. Decastave would appear fine for EE, but offset into the corner for vanilla. The code worked and was incorporated into the spell components directly, and the testing bits should have been removed.
    Good to know. I'll scrap my plans to test whatever it was that component was doing... :wink:
    Beta 5 is up, basically addressing everything here.
    ArctodusGrammarsalad
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited January 2018
    Cam, I haven't had a chance to check yet, but in the earlier version, there was a compatibility issue with spell revisions. Basically, SR adds a few spells that are effectively IWD spells, such as sunscorch and (in version 4) the cause wounds spells.

Because IWDification uses addspell, it is of course best to install SR first. But what has happened in the past is that characters get the two versions of those spells (i.e. from iwdification and sr).

My solution has been to refrain from installing those particular spells if SR is installed ( in my now-- happily-- you saved me a lot of work!-- obviated mod that adds iwdee divine spells). My thinking was that if a player installs SR, they want the sr version (of, say, sunscorch).

Does this version of iwdification do something like this?
    This should have been addressed way back in beta 2; if you're still getting dupe spells let me know.

In addition, I added a couple of hidden config variables as of beta 4. At the top of the tp2, you'll find the variables override_arcane and override_divine set to 1 in the ALWAYS block. If you set these to 0, IWDification will install a spell only if the game doesn't have the spell already, e.g. if you got Sunscorch somewhere else then IWDification won't install its version if override_divine is 0.
    Grammarsalad
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Grammarsalad
    edited January 2018

Quick check. I didn't see two cause light wounds*, but I see two sunscorches.

Game: BGEE 2.3...

Mods installed:
    Spell Revisions Version 4, beta 15 (fixed to allow installation)
    IWDification: Beta 5 (just the arcane and divine pack)

That's it.

* Actually, cause light wounds is duplicated. I didn't see it at first because I created a good cleric so they couldn't use the (IWDification version?) presumably because it's alignment restricted.
    Post edited by Grammarsalad on
    edited January 2018
    Also, DLTCEP is showing me some monster summoning shenanigans (it may be fixed in game, though I didn't see SPWI901 or SPWI906 in hidespl.2da). Version 4 of Spell revisions (maybe earlier versions, IDK) install a monster summoning spell for all 9 levels, starting at level 1. This gives duplicates at different levels if IWDification is installs, it seems.

Edit: so these are the duplicates I have found so far:

-All the cause wounds spells
    -Cure Moderate wounds
    -Sunscorch
    -All Monster Summoning spells (albeit at different levels)
    -Icelance
    -Vitriolic Sphere

That's it so far, but it's a quick check.

And yeah, Spell Revisions does not use ADD_SPELL...that might be the main problem. (though, I I'm not sure if that would fix the monster summoning issue)
    Post edited by Grammarsalad on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Oh ! And a little detail I forgot to talk about... I also added Opcode 136 to make the IWD songs break invisibility, because that follows the unmodded game behavior. Something to think about.
    [Deleted User]
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Should this be installed before or after Tweaks? What about other major mods?

Should one be careful not to install the overlapping tweaks twice?

How does the weapon style tweak from Tweaks affect twohanded axes?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Arctodus said:

Oh ! And a little detail I forgot to talk about... I also added Opcode 136 to make the IWD songs break invisibility, because that follows the unmodded game behavior. Something to think about.

This is in beta 5.
    Thels said:

Should this be installed before or after Tweaks? What about other major mods?

Definitely before Tweaks and after SR. Right now there isn't a lot of interaction between IWDification and other mods so (for now at least) install order isn't too important. I'd second subtledoctor's suggestion.
    Thels said:

Should one be careful not to install the overlapping tweaks twice?

While it's redundant to install them twice, it also won't hurt anything.
    Thels said:

How does the weapon style tweak from Tweaks affect twohanded axes?

All of the altered weapon proficiency systems will leave them as axes, and the tweak for wielding one-handed axes with two hands won't affect them.
    Arctodus
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    edited January 2018
    Thanks for the quick reply! :)

Perhaps the Priest of Tempus kit would make sense as part of this mod? Afaik, it's the only kit that's available in IWD and not BG.
    RaduzielAstroBryGuy