Skip to content

Multiplayer - do we have to start with six characters?

Friend and I want to play with our own prerolled characters and fill in with NPCs through the saga, unfortunately the game at the MP menu screen will not let you start without having all six character slots filled.

Is this an absolute requirement? Can it be avoided somehow that doesn't involve starting the game with 4 randoms, then reforming them out?

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    What version of the game do you try?
    You can start with 1 character, with 2 characters, - there's no requirement for all 6 character slots filled.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    No you don't, as far as I know. You just need to have a person assigned to the slot, but not have the slot filled with a character.
  • tithintithin Member Posts: 31
    Sorry for the delay in reply. We're both on steam with the latest version. We cannot click ready on the slot when assigned to either party without a character actually being in the slot.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    You don't need to click ready on unoccupied slots - the start game button should light up when all the slots that actually have characters in them are also ticked as ready (as Julius said that can be anything from 1 character up).
    Then there's the issue, in spite of both of us having "ready" marked on our slots, the start game button doesn't light up
    edited January 2018
    I've just set up a BGEE game called 'Test' (password also Test). If you see this message quickly you could try joining that to check whether you get the same problem with someone else.
    Edit: game now closed, but you're welcome to PM me if you want to set up a test another time.
    Post edited by Grond0 on
    I should be free in about 60 minutes (I hope) which is 8:30pm melbourne time.
    I was not free at that time, but I am now.
    BGEE game is there waiting - can you join?
  • AerethielAerethiel Member Posts: 17
    We have the same exact problem. Even worse : when a character (e.g. xzar and montaron) leave the party and we adjust who manage each character, we are unable to start the game unless there is six characters in the party. Even when all characters have a checkmark in their slot, we're still unable to launch the game unless there is six char. This is really a frustrating bug.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited January 2018
    @Aerethiel Is this happenning in the 2.3 ver or the 2.5 open beta?
    Because I have just checked in the 2.5 open beta - the party has 6 characters, 2 of them Minsc and Dynaheir. I've loaded the save. Then dismissed Minsc and Dynaheir, so the 2 slots are empty. The game lets to click "Start Game" with 2 slots empty, even when it previously had 6 party members.