Skip to content

BG2EE barely playable at 3840x2160

So I've run into something very frustrating that makes the makes the game very difficult to enjoy. I've scoured all forums I can think of and tried any and all tweaks, and nothing works. My issue seems to be exactly as was discussed here .

Basically if I run full-screen without the UI scaling, everything is very, very small. Portraits are less that my pinky fingernail, I can't read any menus or anything. Running *with* the scaling UI instead makes everything incredibly big and blurry. Neither is a comfortable scaling option for playing anything. Screenshots attached as well as photos to show how frustrating this is.

I've tried all fixes I can think of. Disabling high dpi scaling behavior in the compatability tab. Editing the ini. Running in windowed mode. *Enabling* high dpi scaling. Funnily, the game scales to the correct (and comfortable) resolution this way and I could play in windowed mode, but that makes scrolling across the map impossible as the window is borderless. If I run fullscreen, the main game window will be somewhere down in the bottom right corner.

The only thing that has worked is setting my desktop resolution to something lower like 1920x1080, and *then* the game will run as intended, I guess.

However this is an enormous hassle to switch resolutions each time I want to play and have to switch back - there is a reason I wanted a 4K laptop.

I cannot fathom why there are no resolution options to change this, or what other solutions there can be. I'd love to hear anything as I've on the verge of ditching the EE and just running the originals with the widescreen mod :neutral:

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    did you try running with the UI scaling on, and then scrolling with the mouse wheel in game to zoom out a bit?
  • LadyVespaLadyVespa Member Posts: 5
    Yes, of course. The map is fine in that case, but the UI is huge and blurry and blocks off much of the screen.
    what version of windows do you have? maybe try running the game in compatibility mode
    Win10. I've tried all of the possible compatability modes down to XP. :neutral:
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    How many inches does your laptop have, @LadyVespa ?
    17". Should have mentioned that before, sorry.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    From the images available in the previous thread, I think the best option would be to try to enable the scaling of the user interface enabled and fully zoom out, - https://forums.beamdog.com/uploads/FileUpload/e7/43cababef4dd8dc6b51eb8118634b2.jpg.

The scaling feature can allow you to play at any and every resolution and screen size combination.
    edited September 2017
    Scaling is exactly what I wrote in my original post that it doesn't help the issue....It just makes the UI absolutely huge as well as the map, which on 4k just becomes very blurry. On a smaller screen I can understand that the scaled UI is pretty useful - just like on your screenshot. But on a 17" laptop, it's a bit ridiculous...
    Post edited by LadyVespa on
    i guess maybe worse case scenario you can bump down your RES down to 1080 and just go with that, that is the RES i use on my alienware laptop and it looks fine
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    just in case this is not fixed in 2.5 yet (which i truly hope for future compatibilty sake ...):

if you are on windows 10 creators update or autumn creators update (last big win10 update), you can spare yourself the hassle of changing the resolution manually, by finding the game exe file, right click > properties > compatibility tab > enable to override dpi scaling behaviour, and choose either "system (extended)" or "system" and save that setting.

effectively, windows tells the program then that it is running on standard display (if you have a 3840 screen and set systems scaling to 200%, windows will tell the program it's a 1920-screen). with that override, things almost look as intended in the game (that is: scaling is about right).
    draw-backs: the text rendering is not as sharp as it could be on such screens, and the default font size slider options are rather useless (as the font scaling does not adjust due to some hard-coding?) except one specific that looks at least okay to my eyesight.
  • GimmickGimmick Member Posts: 7
    (snip) finding the game exe file, right click > properties > compatibility tab > enable to override dpi scaling behaviour, and choose either "system (extended)" (snip)

Works like a charm! Thanks.