Skip to content

Spell suggestion: Distraction

LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
This spell would be a god send to have whenever a party member is being held or is otherwise disabled:

The spell 'Distraction' will cause all creatures currently attacking the targeted character to instantaneously choose another target to attack (if other potential targets are available).
Creatures are only affected in the moment of the spell casting, and can later retarget their previous targeted character if they so choose.
Saving throw at -4 penalty.
Grammarsalad

Comments

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Hard to implement it as you wish, if even possible. The AI's targeting system is based on their script, and spells can only affect that to a very limited extent, with no possibility to do what you want.

A workaround that could work would be a long range sanctuary-like/invisibility effect that lasts only a few seconds, enough for enemies to change their target
    Grammarsalad
  • LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
    That would actually be a pretty good work around:
    A lvl.1 long range mage spell that has the effect of invisibility or Sanctuary, but only lasts 1 round.
    Casting time should be 1 to have the intended effect of saving a trapped party member from current attacks.
    Any comments?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Grammarsalad
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Loldrup
    Nice, that was quick!
    What about range and casting time? What did you set those to?
    edited January 2018
    Loldrup said:

Nice, that was quick!
    Lol, I haven't actually created it yet. I'm thinning a personal range and 1to3second invisibility.

Edit: here is a list of spells I'm looking into adding (or spells I'm modifying):
    https://github.com/UnearthedArcana/B_Spells/issues
    Post edited by Grammarsalad on

Loldrup said:

Nice, that was quick!
    Lol, I haven't actually created it yet. I'm thinning a personal range and 1to3second invisibility.

Edit: here is a list of spells I'm looking into adding (or spells I'm modifying):
    How is 'personal range' going to help a party member disabled by e.g. Web or Stinking Cloud?
    edited January 2018
    Loldrup said:

Loldrup said:

Nice, that was quick!

How is 'personal range' going to help a party member disabled by e.g. Web or Stinking Cloud?
    How would it help them anyway?

Oh, I get it. It would distract archers that would otherwise attack them.

You tell me: what would be good? Create the spell, and if it's in line with other 1st level spells, I'll create it

Edit: what about this: for the duration, unless the target is attacking someone, enemies tend to forget that they are there, and so don't target them. (1round +1 round per two levels (max 5 rounds) the spell casts a 1 to 3 second invisibility on the target) range: ? 30'?
    Casting time: 1. Something like that?
    Post edited by Grammarsalad on
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited January 2018
    A slight variation to actually remove them from harms way:
    (Name)
    (Illusion/Transmutation)

Level: 1
    Range: Visual range of the caster
    Duration: 1 round
    Target: 1 Ally
    Casting Time: 1
    Saving Throw: None

This spell causes a single ally to vanish in a flash of light. After one round that ally will reappear at the location you were when you cast this spell.
    Effects:
    Immunity to Spell and Message (324): target = 2, parameter2 = Not Allies (50), resource = (THIS)
    Play Visual Effect (215): power = 1, target = 2, duration = 2 resource = 'DISINTH'
    Invisibility (20): power = 1, target = 2, duration = 6
    Reflect Specified Effect (198): power = 1, target = 2, parameter2 = Teleport (124)
    Teleport (124): power = 1, target = 2, parameter2 = Source to target (1)
    Disable Creature (271): power = 1, target = 2, duration = 6
    Edit: Forgot the most important bit - Invisibility.
    Grammarsalad

You tell me: what would be good? Create the spell, and if it's in line with other 1st level spells, I'll create it

Here's my suggestion (mixed with yours):

Name: 'Hide', 'Hiding' or 'Oblitus' (Latin word for 'forget')
    School: Illusion
    Duration: 1 round + 1 round per two levels (max 5 rounds)
    Casting time: 1
    Saving Throw: none
    Description: The Oblitus spell will make a friendly target invisible for a short period of time. As per the Inisibility spell, the effect will disappear if the target performs an attack or casts a spell.
    The effect is often useful when a party member is under attack while he is rendered incapable of defending himself or escaping. Due to the range of the spell, it can be useful in situations where the target isn't easily reachable by the caster, such as when the target is held by Web while being attacked by spiders or archers. The spell is also useful for granting thiefs an extra opportunity to perform a backstab on an opponent.

kjeron said:

A slight variation to actually remove them from harms way

This is also a cool spell, but I think it's more powerful, and should perhaps be made as a separate level two spell?

Name suggestions: Fetch, Extractum

School: Transmutation, absolutely!

kjeron said:

A slight variation to actually remove them from harms way:

(Name)
    (Illusion/Transmutation)

Duration: 1 round
    Target: 1 Ally
    Casting Time: 1
    Saving Throw: None

This spell causes a single ally to vanish in a flash of light. After one round that ally will reappear at the location you were when you cast this spell.
    Effects:
    Immunity to Spell and Message (324): target = 2, parameter2 = Not Allies (50), resource = (THIS)
    Play Visual Effect (215): power = 1, target = 2, duration = 2 resource = 'DISINTH'
    Invisibility (20): power = 1, target = 2, duration = 6
    Reflect Specified Effect (198): power = 1, target = 2, parameter2 = Teleport (124)
    Teleport (124): power = 1, target = 2, parameter2 = Source to target (1)
    Disable Creature (271): power = 1, target = 2, duration = 6
    Edit: Forgot the most important bit - Invisibility.
    Oh, this is great. Maybe call it "Reprieve".
    Loldrup said:

Here's my suggestion (mixed with yours):

Name: 'Hide', 'Hiding' or 'Oblitus' (Latin word for 'forget')
    School: Illusion
    Duration: 1 round + 1 round per two levels (max 5 rounds)
    Casting time: 1
    Saving Throw: none
    Description: The Oblitus spell will make a friendly target invisible for a short period of time. As per the Inisibility spell, the effect will disappear if the target performs an attack or casts a spell.
    The effect is often useful when a party member is under attack while he is rendered incapable of defending himself or escaping. Due to the range of the spell, it can be useful in situations where the target isn't easily reachable by the caster, such as when the target is held by Web while being attacked by spiders or archers. The spell is also useful for granting thiefs an extra opportunity to perform a backstab on an opponent.

This one is actually stronger (though, not strong enough for a second level, because Invisibility). The difference is that the character can perform actions, including, as you mention, backstab.
    Loldrup
    Okay. As a thank you for design etc., here's the spell. I don't have a custom icon for it atm. I'm using the invisibility icon (and mislead portrait icon). If you are a wizard and you don't select it at character creation, you should be able to find the scroll--again with the invisibility icon, but called "Reprieve"--in various stores.

Let me know if you have any issues. If you do have issues, please 'summon' me with @Grammarsalad so I get a notification.
    Raduziel
    edited January 2018

Okay. As a thank you for design etc., here's the spell. I don't have a custom icon for it atm. I'm using the invisibility icon (and mislead portrait icon). If you are a wizard and you don't select it at character creation, you should be able to find the scroll--again with the invisibility icon, but called "Reprieve"--in various stores.

Let me know if you have any issues. If you do have issues, please 'summon' me with @Grammarsalad so I get a notification.

@Grammarsalad Thanks a bunch! I'll try it out :smiley: Can I run the SetUp-REPRIEVE.exe file from anywhere, or do I need to unpack the zip file a specific place before running SetUp-REPRIEVE.exe?
    Grammarsalad
    Loldrup said:

@Grammarsalad Thanks a bunch! I'll try it out :smiley: Can I run the SetUp-REPRIEVE.exe file from anywhere, or do I need to unpack the zip file a specific place before running SetUp-REPRIEVE.exe?
    You have to unzip everything into your main folder for the game you want to add the spell to (e.g. bgee).

You have to unzip everything into your main folder for the game you want to add the spell to (e.g. bgee).

And if I'm using the Beamdog installer, the main folder will be something like this:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766
    ?
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Loldrup said:

And if I'm using the Beamdog installer, the main folder will be something like this:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766
    ?
    Yep, that would be the BG:EE folder. Extract everything within this folder and run the setup.
    GrammarsaladLoldrup
    I can hereby confirm that it works just fine on my computer :smiley:
    Grammarsalad