Skip to content

How noticeable are the fewer points Assassins get?

JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
I've been playing a dwarven assassin in DDO lately, and he's proven to be my favorite character I've ever made on there. Never expected that when I made him out of the blue.

Anyhoo, since I've never done one, I'm curious at how noticeable the lack of points an Assassin gets compared to a base Rogue Thief? I mean, sure, I'll do my darndest to keep Imoen in my party anyway, she can easily back me up and cover things I'm lacking, but still, I like to be more reliant on my own characters, even if I run a full party.
DreadKhan

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Assassins are pretty gimped abilitywise unless you meta like crazy, dwarves having the hardest time. A halfling Assassin shouldn't have any hassles in bg2 with gear, but might need to use potions in bg1.

You likely will be a ****ty pickpocket too fwiw.
    OrlonKronsteen
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Pretty darn noticeable. Most people take a second thief along with their assassin so they'll have somebody to do everything but the backstabs.
    OrlonKronsteen
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    DreadKhan said:

Wait, people actually pick pocket? (I kid, I know there are a couple nice goodies.)

Well, I guess it gives me as good a reason as any to actually use those thieving potions. Normally I horde those like crazy and never actually use them (like pretty much every other potion.) I take it I should focus on sneaky stealthy ways before anything else.
    MathsorcererOrlonKronsteen
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,014
    @JumboWheat01 , how did your Dwarven assassin turn out?
    JuliusBorisov
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

DreadKhan said:

Wait, people actually pick pocket? (I kid, I know there are a couple nice goodies.)

Well, I guess it gives me as good a reason as any to actually use those thieving potions. Normally I horde those like crazy and never actually use them (like pretty much every other potion.) I take it I should focus on sneaky stealthy ways before anything else.
    Yeah, if you combine metagame knowledge of the required skill to pick locks/find traps with potions, an assassin can easily handle non-Durlag's decently. You might be surprised that iirc under 70 open locks/find traps will handle Candlekeep's Catacombs with a 20% potion, and handle everything else nearly as is. Durlag's has harder traps/locks though. I've had a human fighter assassin solo handle Candlekeep and still have invested in stealth, but a dwarf is disasvantaged.
    Aerakar
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I agree with those who take another rogue along for the 'thieving' bits and leave the assassin to do the backstabbing - but then I usually dual my assassin to a mage anyway.
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    in BG1.. well you get 15 instead of 25 for a total of 9 level (first is the same for all thief's) so you fall 90 points short to other thief's. thats one skill to 100 like find illusion, set trap, open lock etc.

Lucky for you BG1 has Plenty of good thief's , like imoen right out the box, or coran or shar-teel(dualed at 7) who don't loose on combat power and still get a door open, and a couple more.
    so you can focus on sneaking and stack all sneak gear on CHARNAME.

it gets a bit thinner in SoD and BG2. but then you should have enough to get Lockpick/Trap find on the road.

question is it still that then you reach over 255% in the sneak values that they reset? like 265% and you are back to 10%..
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Assassins in BG can serve just fine as the sole thief in a party while they focus their skills on stealth at lower levels. There's a reason thief-friendly potions abound throughout the game and why you should stock up on them whenever they're available. Why dump points into open locks or pick pockets when a single potion can grant +40% for each dosage?

Having low points in Find Traps is easily manageable by multiple uses of Potions of Perception and Mind Focusing, as long as you use your time wisely.

Aerakar
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @DevardKrown I believe the thief skill overflow bug has been fixed, however, percentage above 255 won't improve your skills any further.
    AerakarOrlonKronsteen
    Aerakar said:

Now this thread has resulted in me discontinuing my current playthrough for a new assassin run...aggghh!

you know whats the worst ? i have a Human Assassin with a legit 101 Stat Roll sitting on my USB stick..that was before the Poison "Fix"
    ThacoBell said:

@DevardKrown I believe the thief skill overflow bug has been fixed, however, percentage above 255 won't improve your skills any further.

good to know since in ToB around lvl 40 you got more point than you need by far and sneak gets high...
    AerakarOrlonKronsteen
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

Aerakar said:

Now this thread has resulted in me discontinuing my current playthrough for a new assassin run...aggghh!

you know whats the worst ? i have a Human Assassin with a legit 101 Stat Roll sitting on my USB stick..that was before the Poison "Fix"
    ThacoBell said:

good to know since in ToB around lvl 40 you got more point than you need by far and sneak gets high...
    Uhm....use him. It’ll be great. Even if he is just an assassin (9) Fighter (x). Max out Detect Illusions and put the rest into set traps. You now have a great assassin/Fighter. His Str18 won’t matter at all. And sure he will have fewer Hp...but he will be charaismatic (Leader) and intelligent (take that mindflayers).

Don’t let such a roll go to waste
    AerakardunbarThacoBellOrlonKronsteen
    Grum said:

Aerakar said:

ThacoBell said:

Uhm....use him. It’ll be great. Even if he is just an assassin (9) Fighter (x). Max out Detect Illusions and put the rest into set traps. You now have a great assassin/Fighter. His Str18 won’t matter at all. And sure he will have fewer Hp...but he will be charaismatic (Leader) and intelligent (take that mindflayers).

I have gone away from thief's , the only pure thief i can tolerate now are swashbucklers :P but don't you worry im playing a 100 Shapeshifter right now... the dice gods are good to me.

OrlonKronsteenAerakar
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    ThacoBell said:

Not only that, you don't need anywhere near 255 points to be a great sneak.
    DreadKhanAerakarThacoBell
  • JDowJDow Member Posts: 71
    If you are using a dwarf assassin pick up the gauntlets of 18 dex early from the gnoll stronghold. This will give you an extra 5% on the essentials of lock picking and find traps (assuming u started with the full 17).

Odd to pick the race with the worst stealth to be an assassin but I have to admit it’s very cool :)
    Aerakar
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,014
    You could also (gasp...) go with gnome (ok I said it).
    JDow
  • thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218

Grum said:

Aerakar said:

ThacoBell said:

I have gone away from thief's , the only pure thief i can tolerate now are swashbucklers :P but don't you worry im playing a 100 Shapeshifter right now... the dice gods are good to me.

That's a pretty awesome portrait. You have a source for the art/artist at all?