Skip to content

[v2.21] Shadow Magic

Comments

• Necromanx2Necromanx2 Member Posts: 1,246
    edited January 2018
    When you create a sorcerer, he has no spells memorized after creation. Is there a way to provide the spells without needing to sleep? I BG2EE, in Irenicus dungeon I try to only sleep once and not having spells at start is a challenge.

EDIT: The ring that was in BG2EE in the first room in the painting is not there for the Shadow Disciple. Was it moved?

EDIT 2: The Shadow Summons are still getting poisoned (Wraiths had Hobgoblin arrow poison them and they lost a ton of HP).
    Post edited by Necromanx2 on
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Updated to v1.0.

Too many changes to list, but the biggest one is the addition of the merchant/minor quest NPC for BG1. He can be found in the outdoors area of the Friendly Arm Inn. The quest is fairly boring but quite a few of the SA-exclusive items have been moved into the component. The merchant also provides the Shadow Orb and has a secondary store for shadow adepts.
    v1.0.1
    • Fixed error in quest trigger
    edited January 2018
    @Artemius_I, started new BGEE game as Shadow disciple and never got the shadow spells. My class says Shadow Disciple, but I have the regular sorcerer spells and after waiting several minutes, nothing happens to give me shadow spells.

EDIT: The mage Shadow Adept works.
    @Necromanx2

Fixed.
    Thanks! Taking the Shadow Disciple for a spin in BGEE.
    @Artemius_I, I met the new person at the Friendly Arm Inn. I notice he has 3 scrolls to add a shadow spell. Do they work for Sorcerer's as well? Since we cannot import between BGEE and BG2EE (well you can but won't keep the kit), are the scrolls available in BG2EE?

@Artemius_I, I met the new person at the Friendly Arm Inn. I notice he has 3 scrolls to add a shadow spell. Do they work for Sorcerer's as well? Since we cannot import between BGEE and BG2EE (well you can but won't keep the kit), are the scrolls available in BG2EE?

No, sorcerers cannot use the shadow scrolls. This is intentional to keep the disciple from being too strong. When I make the BG2EE encounters the rest of the scrolls will be added.

You can import and then use EEKeeper to reapply the kit. I’ve done it before, it works and you keep all the spells you’ve learned.
    Thanks for the info! Liking the SD allot.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    1.0.2: Dualled from thief (monk) level 7 to Mage, used shadow orb at level 8 Mage, did not get lesser sequencer granted at the conversion. Will this be applied on the next level up in SoD?
    edited January 2018
    Some minor items I noticed:
    1) Immunity does prevent the effect of confusion, but I still get labeled as confused and I get the swirling stars over my head. I am fine, but it looks weird.
    2) The Ion stone does regenerate, but I don't see the regenerate symbol on the character portrait.

Minor esthetic items, but I thought I would let you know.

EDIT: @Artemius_I, my shadow disciple was able to select 3rd level spells at level 5. He can't cast any of them as he has no casting. The regular sorcerer showed pickes for 1st and 2nd level at level 5, but the SD had 2nd and 3rd level picks.
    Post edited by Necromanx2 on
  • Eltharion1979Eltharion1979 Member Posts: 92
    Hello @Artemius_I I tried to download shadow magic mod, but couldn't, I got this message every time.

''WARNING: cannot verify trigger ~!HaveKnownSpellRES("c0sa908")~: Parsing.Parse_error
    Compiling 1 dialogue file ...
    Extending game scripts ...
    Extending game scripts ...

[shadowadept/scripts/c0sa402.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 4 column 8-41
    Near Text: )
    [CheckSpellState] not found in TRIGGER.IDS

[shadowadept/scripts/c0sa402.baf] ERROR at line 4 column 8-41
    Near Text: )
    Parsing.Parse_error
    ERROR: parsing [shadowadept/scripts/c0sa402.baf]: Parsing.Parse_error
    Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Shadow Magic: Shadow Adept mage Kit for BG:EE], rolling back to previous state
    Will uninstall 983 files for [SHADOWADEPT/SETUP-SHADOWADEPT.TP2] component 0.
    Uninstalled 983 files for [SHADOWADEPT/SETUP-SHADOWADEPT.TP2] component 0.
    ERROR: Parsing.Parse_error
    PLEASE email the file SETUP-SHADOWADEPT.DEBUG to Artemius_I
    Using Language [English]

Install Component [Shadow Magic: Shadow Adept mage Kit for BG:EE]?
    [I]nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit?''

Any help?

Thank you in advance.
    @Eltharion1979

What version of the game are you trying to install the mod on?
    Hello @Artemius_I thank you for the quick reply, I dont remember at the moment what version is my game, for sure Enhanced Edition, but I will check it soon.
    @Artemius_I, is there an issue with my shadow disciple being able to select 3rd level spells at level 5? He can't cast any of them as he has no casting per day. The regular sorcerer showed picks for 1st and 2nd level at level 5, but the SD had 2nd and 3rd level picks.
    @Necromanx2

I'm looking into it. Because of the way spells are learned I can place new spells freely which means they might not identical to sorcerer growth. If there's an issue the sorcerer progression will be altered.
    Thanks! Seemed weird to get spell picks before any spell use is available, so wanted to check.
    edited January 2018
    v1.1
    • Added dialogue to Kryn and his apprentices
    • Added hints to apprentices' locations to Bub Snikt, Oublek and Tethtoril
    • Fixed Nightsinger's familiar to level up with the player
    • Fixed Nym appearing twice instead of Chang
    • Fixed Sorcerer spell progression and charisma-based spell gains (huge net nerf)
    • Fixed disappearing Sequencers and Contingencies
    • Added Merciless Blizzard (8th level) and Fiery Pandemonium (9th level)
    • Reworked Oblivion Pull
    • Added 8d8 damage to Shadow Dragon Breath
    • Altered several spells to ignore magic resistance
    • Buffed a few spells' saving throw modifiers
    • Buffed a few spells' durations
    Merciless Blizzard
    Merciless Blizzard
    (Invocation/Evocation - Shadow Weave)

Level: 8
    Range: Visual range of the caster
    Duration: 1 turn
    Casting Time: 8
    Area of Effect: 30-ft. radius cloud
    Saving Throw: 1/2

This spell creates a vicious blizzard within a 30 ft. radius. Any in the area of the spell must leave the blizzard immediately or suffer 10d4 cold damage per round and become slowed for two rounds. Targets who remain within the blizzard suffer a cumulative -20% penalty to cold resistance for one turn. Additionally, all creatures must make a Save vs. Spells at -2 each round or be slowed for that round. This spell is not affected by Magic Resistance.

Fiery Pandemonium
    Fiery Pandemonium
    (Invocation/Evocation - Shadow Weave)

Level: 9
    Range: 270 ft.
    Duration: 6 rounds
    Casting Time: 9
    Area of Effect: 30-ft. radius
    Saving Throw: None

When the caster utters the words to this powerful spell, he calls upon powerful forces indeed. These forces bring forth a storm of shadow fire, dealing 6d10 fire and magical damage per round with no Saving Throw. Additionally, anyone within the storm must make a Saving Throw vs. Death each round or be petrified permanently. If a statue created by this spell is subjected to attacks of any sort, it will shatter into tiny pieces, making it impossible for the creature to be returned to flesh. The caster is well advised to be careful in his use of this spell.

This spell is not affected by Magic Resistance.

Oblivion Pull
    Oblivion Pull
    (Abjuration - Shadow Weave)

Level: 9
    Range: 30 ft.
    Duration: 3 rounds
    Casting Time: 9
    Area of Effect: Special
    Saving Throw: Special

When Oblivion Pull is cast, the shadow adept launches a tiny, fast-moving projectile towards a target which spawns a portal at the targeted location. The portal remains until an enemy comes within 5 ft. of it. When this happens, the portal pulls it and all other enemies within a 10 ft. radius into it and sends them to a small pocket in the Plane of Shadow where they are trapped indefinitely. The victim remains there unless the spell "Freedom" is cast. If a Freedom spell is cast in the area where the creature was imprisoned, then he will reappear exactly where he was last standing. Dispel Magic will not free creatures trapped in this manner. There is no Saving Throw against imprisonment.

Next major update might not be for a while. I'm working on the BG2 Stronghold - the Phantasmal Tower.
    Hi @Artemius_I I just checked the version of the BG2 EE, I play. Is version 2.3.67.3 I dont know if this helps. The weird thing was, that before some days, I had to uninstall the game. Before that, shadow magic mod was running ok, except that the shadow adept, couldnt work for some reason. But I had my shadow monk and play with him. When I install the game again and add all my mods, then the issue appeared.
    Thank you in advance again, take care.
    Will the update work ok on an existing game?
    @Necromanx2

It won't fix screwed up sorcerer spellbooks but it won't break anything I think...
    Thanks! I held off going up my 5th level waiting to see if there is a fix.
    Current iteration of the Phantasmal Tower:

Yes, the interior is just a recolored/slightly altered Durlag's Tower. The currently incomplete exterior (yes, there is an outdoors area to explore) is rather different however.
    Nice!
    edited January 2018
    *sigh* Writing for the stronghold is going to be a hard effort, with the writing, coding, new areas, multiple quests, and so on. This may be my most difficult project thus far.

Expect to converse with a wide variety of NPCs, including an unexpectedly friendly and exuberant senior apprentice:

Relatives of characters from BG1:

And an ominous shade that you do not want to mess with:

@Artemius_I, I wanted to check something. When I speak to the shadovar in the FAI, he tells me about the apprentices but I don't get a journal entry about it. I have just cleared the first Cloakwood area and I have done all other areas you can do prior to CW and I have yet to run into any apprentice. Is this expected as I just need to do the rest of Cloakwood and Baldurs Gate (I have not done werewolf isle or ice isle)?
    edited January 2018
    @Necromanx2

No journal entries atm because I'm lazy.

The apprentices only appear after the quest begins.
    Thultanthar, Dusk District.

Modifying the visuals and colors on this was an absolute nightmare because of the way doors work within area tilesets. I doubt I will ever attempt something like this again. Those damn doors.
    As far as the apprentice quest beginning, I take it that there is more to it then when I said I would look for them?
  • DymeDefDymeDef Member Posts: 66
    @Artemius_I this looks really cool. Curious how this will play with the Scales of Balance, Might and Guule, Tome and Blood and Faith and Powers mods? Will this not interfere (I think the major incompatibility would be Tome and Blood), and play nicely? I'd love to give some of these kits a try, but I'm too entrenched in that setup to abandon it