Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    "The problems start from the top and have to get solved from the top. The president is the leader, and he's got to get everybody in a room and he's got to lead." - Donald Trump about the shutdown {2013}
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    edited January 2018
    Hmmm... question about the shutdown.

Does this hinder the Mueller investigation in any way? Is he and his team furloughed until this is resolved?

Edit: BTW, if this ever happened in Canada, it triggers an election. Parliament is dissolved and the people head back to the polls regardless of how long government is in session. Just ask Joe Clark, our 16th prime minister who didn't last a year.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    deltago said:

Does this hinder the Mueller investigation in any way? Is he and his team furloughed until this is resolved?

Edit: BTW, if this ever happened in Canada, it triggers an election. Parliament is dissolved and the people head back to the polls regardless of how long government is in session. Just ask Joe Clark, our 16th prime minister who didn't last a year.

First - no. My understanding is this should have no impact on Mueller's investigation whatsoever.

Second - That seems good and bad. On one hand, It massively deincentives a government shutdown. On the other hand... couldnt it be weaponized to cause a snap election? (Party A has a big lead in polls, causes a government shutdown because they'll increase their seats due to the resulting election)
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Too bad about Trump's planned 100k per plate and 250k per plate at the "roundtable" "pat-myself on the back" dinner he had planned for his mansion in Mara Largo tonite.

Shame that. I'm shocked he's not going anyway. He'll still probably go, right?
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

It is literally impossible to react unemotionally and achieve anything. In real life there are people with brain damage that negates their emotions (or at least access to them) and they have tremendous difficulty deciding stuff as simple as "What do I eat for lunch?" Emotion underlies everything people do, and pretending otherwise doesn't help.

On the other hand, people reacting emotionally often results in domestic violence and murder.

deltago said:

First - no. My understanding is this should have no impact on Mueller's investigation whatsoever.

Second - That seems good and bad. On one hand, It massively deincentives a government shutdown. On the other hand... couldnt it be weaponized to cause a snap election? (Party A has a big lead in polls, causes a government shutdown because they'll increase their seats due to the resulting election)
    It only happens when there is a minority government. It forces the ruling party to compromise with at least one minority party to get legisilation through. Confidence votes such as budgets can snap an election where the items in the budget become the central theme of the election. More often than not, a majority government forms after these types of elections.

What it doesn't do however is shut the civil service down. They are unionized and their contracts run regardless of what the government is bickering about. Holding services hostage while government infighting ensues is childish. But this is American politics so...
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited January 2018
    Democrats introduced separate bills that both funded the military through the shutdown and would stop paying lawmakers until things get settled. McConnell would not bring either up for a vote.

Moreover, the competing narratives seem to be (on social media) #TrumpShutdown and #SchumerShutdown. Now, I'm not a marketing or PR expert, but I'm fairly sure everyone on earth knows who Donald Trump is, and maybe 25% of those people know who Chuck Schumer is. I suspect Trump, whose one skill is marketing himself, also knows this. Republicans cannot defeat the optics of the government shutting down on the exact one year anniversary of him taking office.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    There's a breakdown of exactly who voted yes or no on the shutdown. It was largely but not completely a party-line vote, with 5 Republicans and 5 Democrats voting against their respective parties.

I'd rather the Democratic party not vote against the bill to prevent a shutdown, just like the GOP did in 2013. Honestly, I don't see why it should even be possible for the government to suddenly suspend funding for anything just because people can't get at least 60 senators to agree.

It's a telling example of the Tea Party's corrosive influence that the shutdown they started in 2013 has now become a standard political weapon. This is what people mean when they talk about the breakdown of democratic norms.
    edited January 2018

There's a breakdown of exactly who voted yes or no on the shutdown. It was largely but not completely a party-line vote, with 5 Republicans and 5 Democrats voting against their respective parties.

I'd rather the Democratic party not vote against the bill to prevent a shutdown, just like the GOP did in 2013. Honestly, I don't see why it should even be possible for the government to suddenly suspend funding for anything just because people can't get at least 60 senators to agree.

It's a telling example of the Tea Party's corrosive influence that the shutdown they started in 2013 has now become a standard political weapon. This is what people mean when they talk about the breakdown of democratic norms.

Listening to Mitch McConnell, who literally STOLE a Supreme Court seat from a duly-elected President, lecture Democrats about this subject is way more than I can stomach. Mitch McConnell basically destroyed whatever the US Senate was during Obama's 2nd term.

What the hell are the Democrats supposed to do?? The Republicans claim they want to fix DACA, Trump claims it as well, but he has torpedoed two deals that were made on the issue. He changes his mind by the hour. If the Republicans and Trump promised to take it up later, why would ANYONE believe them?? Ask Susan Collins about what Mitch McConnell and Donald Trump's promises mean (after she voted for the tax bill). Moreover, there was no 60 vote threshold for the tax bill. McConnell can wave it at his discretion. The tell about Republicans not being at all interested in passing the bill is that Mike Pence, a possible tie-breaker as the VP, isn't even in the country right now. He is in the Middle-East. Democrats were willing to give Trump his wall for christ's sake. Negotiating with Trump is like negotiating with the wind.

Moreover, how many of these month by month CRs are Republicans going to put forward?? 5, 10, 20?? Are we supposed to come to this impasse every 30 days??

As was mentioned in the article I posted yesterday, CHIP and DACA were the status-quo. Republicans broke both of them. Democrats are asking for nothing but the status-quo on these two issues, in return for an increase in military spending AND the wall. Republicans are engaging in legislative terrorism with children as their hostages. And throughout my entire life, I have heard the phrase "you don't negotiate with terrorists".
    Post edited by jjstraka34 on
    Can they not piece mail the budget? I am pretty sure at leasr 60 of them can decide that civil servants and military personnel can be paid for the rest of the year, and leave everything else out.

Pass it like an emergency fund after a natural disaster. Or is that too out of the box thinking?
    edited January 2018
    deltago said:

Can they not piece mail the budget? I am pretty sure at leasr 60 of them can decide that civil servants and military personnel can be paid for the rest of the year, and leave everything else out.

Pass it like an emergency fund after a natural disaster. Or is that too out of the box thinking?

You'd have to ask Mitch McConnell. He controls everything that does or does not come up for a vote. There are individual bills that address all of these issues that have been put forward: CHIP, DACA, funding the military through any shutdown, and stopping salary payments to lawmakers until the issue is settled. McConnell has allowed no votes on any of them. Democrats cannot force a vote on anything. Only the majority controls that process. Chuck Schumer is taking questions on CNN right now explaining how things went down yesterday.
    deltago said:

that kind of defeats the purpose of a shutdown doesn't it?

Trump would probably like that, shut down all consumer protection agencies of the government like the EPA and Consumer Financial Protection Agency.
    edited January 2018
    In the midst of all of this, another Women's March is taking place all across the country today, on the one-year anniversary of the first. While the numbers are probably not to the level of last year's, they are still massive, and, as far as I can tell, DWARF any similar Tea Party rallies that took place in '09-'10.

It seems that budget director Mick Mulvaney, up until last night, had NO IDEA he was responsible for facilitating a government shutdown, and when he did find out, he said that was "pretty cool". Again, this stuff writes itself. Trump's one-year anniversary, Trump being quoted directly earlier in the year saying a shutdown would be a good thing, Schumer saying negotiating with him is like negotiating with jello, and his budget director exhibiting total obliviousness about his own job. The GOP counter-spin seems to be to try pin the whole thing on a bespectacled Senator from New York who most people have never heard of. For once, Democrats had their messaging in order with simple narratives, and Republicans are left lecturing about arcane procedure arguments that most people either can't understand or don't care about. If you're explaining, you're losing.
    Post edited by jjstraka34 on
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    edited January 2018

It is literally impossible to react unemotionally and achieve anything. In real life there are people with brain damage that negates their emotions (or at least access to them) and they have tremendous difficulty deciding stuff as simple as "What do I eat for lunch?" Emotion underlies everything people do, and pretending otherwise doesn't help.

On the other hand, people reacting emotionally often results in domestic violence and murder.
    People reacting emotionally also results in many good things. It's misleading to suggest emotion always has negative outcomes.

Given that most people react emotionally to everything a reasonable spectrum of outcomes is expected.

For example, emotion is a necessary part of motivation, at least early on. You need that emotional burst to start a project of any sort. You can't sustain that emotion throughout the project necessarily, but it's invaluable when you begin.
    edited January 2018
    Trumps calling for ending the filibuster so that Republicans can rule everything by simple majority. Anything but compromise, eh Mr. Art of the Deal? Anything but that.

Before that Trump tweeted something about the shutdown being the worst for the military. Limb missing Iraq war veteran Senator Duckworth who has spent her adult life on military and veterans issues replied that she would not be lectured about what the military needs by Cadet Bone Spurs, five time draft dodger.

Democrats in the Senate put forth for a measure that would give pay for the military during a government shutdown but it was killed by Mitchell McConnell. Hmm where was Cadet Bone Spurs to call out the GOP being bad for the military? There's nothing more important than the military except trying to win games of political points.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2018/01/20/amid-government-shutdown-the-military-becomes-a-centerpiece-to-make-political-jabs/

" “I want to make sure that tonight we send a very clear signal that we don’t want one moment to pass with there being any uncertainty of any soldier anywhere in the world that they will be paid for the valiant work they do for our national security,” McCaskill (D) said, calling for a resolution to pay the troops.

McConnell scuttled the effort. "
    You have to give it to the troll on this one:

"Beautiful weather all over our great country, a perfect day for all women to march. Get out there now to celebrate the historic milestones and unprecedented economic successes and wealth creation that has taken place over the least 12 months. Lowest female unemployment in 18 years!"

He either has no clue or doesnt care or is attempting to rewrite history while it happens. All three a deplorable in their own way.
    deltago said:

"Beautiful weather all over our great country, a perfect day for all women to march. Get out there now to celebrate the historic milestones and unprecedented economic successes and wealth creation that has taken place over the least 12 months. Lowest female unemployment in 18 years!"

He either has no clue or doesnt care or is attempting to rewrite history while it happens. All three a deplorable in their own way.

His motivation in everything is narcissism and greed. He knows what's up but the truth doesn't matter. The only truth is his truth: He's the best and everyone who doesn't love him is the worst. Every sentence that comes out of his mouth is formed to fit this reality.

He's one of those as-seen-on-tv self motivation tapes taken to the ridiculous extreme. You know the ones where you look in the mirror and "I am worthwhile and people like me". He's taken that to be his worldview and has rejected reality.

He's this )(
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ldAQ6Rh5ZI
    edited January 2018
    There are multitude of reasons Democrats cannot believe they have anyone on the other side is acting in good faith in this shutdown. The first being Trump himself, who in the course of one week went from touting a "bill of love" to "shithole countries". As long as John Kelly and Stephen Miller can get to his ear last, there is no way to even know what the parameters of a compromise would look like.

The second is that people like Donald Trump and John Kelly fundamentally don't understand negotiation and compromise. One of them has been the head of his own business for decades, the other is a General. They know no other reality than the one in which they give orders and demands and have them followed.

The third is that the Republicans will break any promises they make to take up issues later. And the proof comes from deals they made with members of their own party. Jeff Flake was promised a DACA fix in January for his vote on the tax bill. Susan Collins was told a bill stabilising the ACA would take place in exchange for her vote. Neither took place. If the Republicans promise to tackle DACA by March as part of any deal, there is a 99% chance the date will come and go with nothing being brought up for a vote.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

deltago said:

His motivation in everything is narcissism and greed. He knows what's up but the truth doesn't matter. The only truth is his truth: He's the best and everyone who doesn't love him is the worst. Every sentence that comes out of his mouth is formed to fit this reality.

He's one of those as-seen-on-tv self motivation tapes taken to the ridiculous extreme. You know the ones where you look in the mirror and "I am worthwhile and people like me". He's taken that to be his worldview and has rejected reality.

He's this )(
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ldAQ6Rh5ZI
    Ahh, the good old days. Back when comedy (and Al Franken) was funny...
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Apparently Mitch McConnell shut down an attempt by Democrat Claire McCaskill to provide funding for the military in the aftermath of the shutdown. It seems like you would approve of that measure if you were opposed to the shutdown as McConnell claimed he was.

I'm feeling slightly less opposed (but still opposed) to the shutdown now that I've heard that the Democrats only had two demands:

1. Keep funding for a children's health program
    2. Prevent American-born children from being deported

And apparently both of those things were the status quo before the GOP blocked funding for the former and tried to destroy the protection for the latter. The Democrats' demands are an obvious win-win for everyone. The vast majority of Americans apparently support both of these things.

I fail to understand why the GOP could not bring themselves to protect and provide for American children in order to avoid a shutdown.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

Apparently Mitch McConnell shut down an attempt by Democrat Claire McCaskill to provide funding for the military in the aftermath of the shutdown. It seems like you would approve of that measure if you were opposed to the shutdown as McConnell claimed he was.

I'm feeling slightly less opposed (but still opposed) to the shutdown now that I've heard that the Democrats only had two demands:

And apparently both of those things were the status quo before the GOP blocked funding for the former and tried to destroy the protection for the latter. The Democrats' demands are an obvious win-win for everyone. The vast majority of Americans apparently support both of these things.

I fail to understand why the GOP could not bring themselves to protect and provide for American children in order to avoid a shutdown.

There's some kind of game being played here. I'm not sure what it is yet though. The Republicans seem eerily close to splintering. If only the Democrats would splinter too maybe we could salvage a working government from the wreckage...
    edited January 2018
    All you need to know is what bills McConnell and Ryan WON'T bring up for votes. They won't bring up a clean CHIP bill (haven't for months, they have tethered it to the budget on purpose). The won't do a clean DACA bill despite claiming they want to. They won't allow the vote to continue paying the military while this is sorted out to go to the floor. And they refused to let a bill stopping payment to members of Congress (introduced by Democrats) to come up for a vote. Only McConnell and Ryan can allow these votes to take place. They are deciding they are only going to allow a vote on one bill. It is not a negotiation. They are basically saying to the Democrats "take it or leave it" and thinking that entitles them to a swath of Democratic votes. But the fact is, when you say take it or leave it, you have to be prepared for the person you make that demand to to say "leave it". Democrats haven't been consulted on jack-shit for the last year. This is them finally addressing their major weakness as a party, which is demonstrating they actually have a spine to stand up to the bullying.

Beyond that, Republicans continue to try to fund the government on a month by month basis, meaning that this impasse can continue to play out over and over again. We have already had two CRs (continuing resolutions). This has been a problem since the beginning of December. Now they want to kick the can down the road for another couple months. You can't fund the United States Government in this kind of piece-meal fashion.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137

Number 2 isn't quite right. American-born children are citizens, and the GOP would need to repeal the Fourteenth Amendment to change that. Some DACA recipients have been in the US since they were very young, but not since birth.

(For the record, I support the Democrats standing firm on these issues.)
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137

DACA is in regards to children who were brought to the US as children by their parents, and have lived here their entire lives. They know no other home.

DACA is in regards to people between the ages of 10 and 36 who came or were brought to the US as children and have lived here for at least 40% but less than 100% of their lives. That's compelling enough, and overgeneralizing makes it too easy for people to dismiss the whole issue.
    Now Senator Tammy Duckworth introduced the same bill McCaskill did in regards to military pay and death benefits. This time, it was John Cornyn, McConnell's #2, who objected. Duckworth is a double-amputee war veteran, by the way. During the 2013 shutdown, one of the first things that was done was approving pay for the troops, which Obama signed immediately.
    He's a piece of work.

During the tax bill and health care fiascos I saw him on TV out there lying and clutching his pearls in fake outrage that democrats wanted people to have health insurance. I can't stand the guy.

His MO is the tried and true fake outrage followed by lies and spin. His lies aren't even remotely believable either - things like "victims of Obamacare" yeah right people inflicted with Healthcare. What he means is he doesn't like the taxes that have his corporate donors pay a couple of bucks towards contributing to society.

Can't believe people in Texas like that guy but hey look at their other Senator - Ted Cruz.
This discussion has been closed.