Skip to content

item stacking/bags of holding

trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
not sure if this belongs to feature, but i would like to see increased number of item stacking. specially for arrows, bolts and bullets. archers should be able to carry more than just their reserve of ammunition in inventory, no? not very realistic but convenient.

also, i'm not sure how rare or expensive bags of holding should be, but i wouldn't mind seeing one helping out at inventory management. maybe all these will be obsolete with new UI but i think it should be at least mentioned. :)

Comments

• MoonsongMoonsong Member Posts: 36
    I would like to see increased number of item stacking as well. Being a packrat, I will confess to cheating myself a bag of holding in my game, on more then one occasion. I just love picking up everything I can.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    The mods that I usually install always includes unlimited stacking of ammo.
    archers should be able to carry more than just their reserve of ammunition in inventory, no? not very realistic but convenient.
    Well, if we want to be realistic, I don't think people using missile weapons would be spending as many ammo as we do during the game anyway.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    BG2 Tweak pack has a component that enables unlimited stacking of ammo and several other items (including some that can't be normally stacked at all). I would like to see a higher stacking limit in BG:EE, but not unlimited: it does make the game significantly easier so I think unlimited stacking should remain an optional component of an optional mod.
  • James_MJames_M Member Posts: 140
    edited June 2012
    The suggestion is to make arrows stackable to higher amounts. A stack limited to, e.g. 20 or 60 or even 100, can mean that quivers are emptied too fast while exploring, meaning you have to return to a merchant frequently.
  • pacekpacek Member Posts: 92
    Icewind dale had an ammo belt: essentially a bag just for storing unlimited(?) projectiles. I think introducing one of these could be a better option.
  • FranticFeyFranticFey Member Posts: 31
    I definitely agree that something should be done about ammunition stacks, mainly because it crosses the line in terms of convenience versus immersion. Whether they simply add ammunition belts (along with gem bags, potion cases, etc.) or increase the stack count, this should happen. It was a bit silly to have to have 8 stacks of 40 arrows taking up so much room!
  • KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    edited June 2012
    Yeah I agree with both suggestions. It's just so inconvenient to have to stock up on hundred of arrows before each dungeon because you have multiple archers. I don't mind the shopping part, but making room in your pack is a royal pain.
    edited June 2012
    It was a bit silly to have to have 8 stacks of 40 arrows taking up so much room!
    I actually think that arrows stacked to 20 in the original BG1, but I could be wrong.

This is definitely something that I would like them to change. Bigger ammo stacks please.
    It was a bit silly to have to have 8 stacks of 40 arrows taking up so much room!
    I actually think that arrows stacked to 20 in the original BG1, but I could be wrong.

This is definitely something that I would like them to change. Bigger ammo stacks please.
    Yep, in vanilla BG1 you can only stack up to 20.
  • Ingwarr23Ingwarr23 Member Posts: 27
    It's was annoying .
    Hope that in BG EE it would not be a problem.
    Just thought about this, but did BG1 have any kind of container?

I think it would be nice if all containers (gem bags, scroll cases, potion bags and ammo belts) were added to BG1, not just a bag of holding.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    Why not have a so-called "Ammunition Belt" that automatically replenishes arrows upon reaching a magic number: say one arrow left. Because after you reach zero arrows, it switches to the next available arrow in Arrow slots.

Or just create a quiver that you can place in an ammunition slot, that lets you stack as many arrows of one type as you can, up to say... 100? Call it a make it your own quiver.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    The way the bag of holding presently works should be changed. Instead of taking you to an entirely different screen, you should just be able to right-click the bag and get a floating window to pick up and drop items like a regular inventory.

The way it presently works in BG2 is it virtually opens up a "shop" screen.
    Yes, on one hand stocking up with arrows in time for your next adventure requires you to be more careful, but on the otherhand filling up inventory space is really not compelling gameplay. There's very little interesting about it. It would be better to not restrict normal arrows and instead make magical arrows the ones you want to look out for. Maybe create 2 or 3 arrows, bolts, bullets and darts of plenty around the world. Normal level ammo, but they never run out. We already have the throwing axe + 2...
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    ToB increased the limit to 40. I think there should be no limit, but there should also be more unlimited magic arrow type arrows, such as a fire or ice arrow that can be re-fired indefinitely.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    Spending time sorting your inventory, especially in multiplayer, isn't much fun. Safest bet is probably unlimited arrow stacking. If not unlimited, then at least 200 would be enough to get you by without having to fill your inventory with nothing but arrows.

If the magic arrow route is taken, then they should at least add Quiver (or case, or bag) of plenty (like in ToB), or the Everlasting Arrow from Icewind Dale 2. Neither of those ran out. Everlasting arrow's didn't strike as magic weapons though, I think.

Same goes for reusable throwing axes, daggers, and darts. Its just not feasible to have a stack of throwing axes given how much they weigh. How about a nonmagical returning axe or dagger too?
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    Increasing ammunition stacks at least seems sensible, even 40 per as in BG2 is too small IMO.
    Containers in BG1 I would really like too, was the vanilla bag of holding bottomless btw?

also, i'm not sure how rare or expensive bags of holding should be, but i wouldn't mind seeing one helping out at inventory management. maybe all these will be obsolete with new UI but i think it should be at least mentioned. :)
    For the record, lore wise, at least two bags of holding exist in BG1. If you read the various Iron Throne letters you are told that Tranzig has been ferrying iron in bags of holding (I think it's plural) so that not too many people were aware of their nefarious plot.
  • TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
    Bags of holding will never be obsolete. Especially for Viconia and her sucky strength. Girl can't carry a paper bag without getting encumbered. Khalid isn't much better. Now where did I put the gauntlets of Ogre power?

-Trent
    edited June 2012
    Bags of holding will never be obsolete. Especially for Viconia and her sucky strength. Girl can't carry a paper bag without getting encumbered. Khalid isn't much better. Now where did I put the gauntlets of Ogre power?

-Trent
    You left them with some girl in the Low Lantern... Tsk, it's a pretty seedy place dude. ;) It'd be nice to be able to customise characters more early on with them. They'd make a fine prize for clearing Firewine...

Mine go to Jaheira so she can kick ass in the front lines. No Khalid, I don't care if you could use them more.
    Jaheira + Gauntlets + Dagger of Venom = Badass :)
    And nah, Khalid gets the Gauntlets of Dex on the rare occasions that I do take him. He then rolls with as many prof points in bows as I can muster :)
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    Just thought about this, but did BG1 have any kind of container?

I think it would be nice if all containers (gem bags, scroll cases, potion bags and ammo belts) were added to BG1, not just a bag of holding.
    Actually, I'd be happy if those smaller containers were included, doesn't even need a bag of holding xD
  • carugacaruga Member Posts: 375
    I think 80 stack-size normal arrows, -15 stack-size per +1 enchantment would be fitting, or thereabouts. It's true that
    it crosses the line in terms of convenience versus immersion
    but that also means that there is a line. The golden middle needs to be found.
  • LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
    edited June 2012
    Containers in BG1.
    The g3 Tweakpack (for Tutu) had an option to spread a few containers over the Sword Coast shops.
    Since that worked fine and improved loot handling I'd like to see that in EE too.
    I think there's a request about this already, so I'll probably merge this topic with that one when I can find it.
  • LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
    I found a topic "let's not over-enhance equipment" which mixes up stackings size limits with talk about containers, so I made a clear, new, single request.