Skip to content

List of my suggestions - to try to match modern mmos

LibertyisbackLibertyisback Member Posts: 49
edited January 2018 in General Discussions NWN:EE
I love what Beamdog is doing. Thank you so much for working again on the community's and my beloved game.

In this list, if not already implemented, are some of the things which I feel are needed to make NWN fully competitive against the best mmorpgs out there today.

A lot of people say NWN is not a true mmorpg. I think it is still the best mmorpg out there. People say it is not an open world where everyone can chat together. I tend to say that is not necessary.

Here is my wishlist:

1) Voicesets -- NWN has the best voicesets in the entire industry. The game should let a player select any voiceset for their character. So many wonderful voicesets not being heard. Leto lets you customise your character. Release the voicesets across for all characters (except maybe monster voicesets limited to monsters). Allow this to be customised in game in the character build screen without using Leto.
2) Should it be possible for players to put in their own custom voicesets? (questionable)
3) Portraits. Allow players to pick more portraits, all in game portraits to be available to all players. Leto already allowed this. Allow the game to do this without using Leto.
4) Appropriate emotes must keep going on and repeating until stopped. Dancing emote in particular. Singing. Laughing.
5) Should have more than one dance emote.
6) Characters need to be able to Jump. Yes, it is really vital. If possible map it to the spacebar key. Players need to be able to express their joy while playing and running in a group. Mmorpg players love to jump while running with their team.
7) Music. Need to be able to play music in game. Just a simple midi file is fine. And a playing music emote. This is really essential for bards. For examples of other mmorpgs with this ability: lotro and that other anime one whose name I have forgotten.
8) Eyes. Character faces must have proper eyes. Beautiful eyes are quite needed. Sure, not as big as anime, but just eyes.
9) Flight would really be good, if it was possible. (Shadowrun i think had flight)
10) Huge persistent world faction pvp (team pvp) servers. Community has some of them, but a huge faction pvp persistent server (or mod?) would be great for nwn. WoW has.. is it called Battlegrounds? Guildwars has it too.
11) In game web browser. This is pretty important. Yes we can alt tab or have a dual monitor setup - but players love to sit in game browse the web and chat (i think lotro has an ingame browser, not sure).
12) On the main game screen, the chatboxes, fonts and menus need to be resizeable. Was this already done in EE? Basically, I stopped playing one favourite mmo of mine, because when I upgraded to a large LCD screen, all the chat fonts and windows became too small and unreadable. I'm not certain if NWN still has the same problem.
I will try to edit and post more as i remember it.

NWN is still the best mmo for me. The combat and spell and formula calculation system is so far ahead of everyone in the industry, nwn can easily beat everyone else. This alone gives nwn the ability to defeat any other team pvp mmo out there today, including LoL, Dota, Smite etc. You do not need demanding gfx to feel the greatest satisfaction in defeating your enemy.

NWN also has the best artwork and design in the industry, except maybe WoW. Every icon and interface in NWN is carfully scuplted and designed to fit together. All the spell and ability icons are like.. from a Faculty of Design in a top University-- beautifully crafted to fit together. The atmosphere of NWN itself, just walking in the forest, is still the ebst fo any mmo ive experienced (except maybe WoW). So yea, i still feel NWN can beat everyone else with just the tweaks I listed above.

Also want to say NWN has the best voiceset of any mmo out there today (possibly the only voicesets). I think even better than WoW. The voicesets are so incredible that I would play just for the fun of saying fun things while in the middle of combat. Hilarious.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Thanks for the suggestions. What do other folks think about them?
  • DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    I definitely agree with #1. My favorite voices are restricted to NPC's, and even though they aren't filled with the complete list of emotes and quotes I still really enjoy them (The combat sounds for the Duergar Slaver are just great). Resizing the font is a fine suggestion, as well. Flight sounds like it would be a lot of work, but going off of the current height levels for cliffs I feel you could make a system that allows you to go up by a specific height level, and would make it possible for enemies you have to use ranged weapons against, which would be an added bonus.

As for the rest, I have no real opinion. I don't play NWN as an MMO, I play it as a single player hack-and-slash/story-and-slash experience, and I don't enjoy MMO's too much anyway. I don't see anything wrong with the suggestions, they just wouldn't affect me as much as it would for others.
  • HunterRayder93HunterRayder93 Member Posts: 266
    First of all I want to say that NWN: EE is not a real MMO but during these 12 years many modders and player communities exploiting the potentialities of the editor could create "their" mini MMO regardless of any limitation.

So NWN: EE yes ... offers the possibility of creating mini MMOs etc ... but it's not an MMO,

1) Voicesets -- NWN has the best voicesets in the entire industry. The game should let a player select any voiceset for their character. So many wonderful voicesets not being heard. Leto lets you customise your character. Release the voicesets across for all characters (except maybe monster voicesets limited to monsters). Allow this to be customised in game in the character build screen without using Leto.

we say that the Voice sett unlike the titles Infinity gives the opportunity to choose between different sets of voice (although perhaps nowadays are a little bit as a choice, for me and satisfactory), ok add the ability to use any voice setting but ... obviously always within certain limits, that is, you should not use vocal lines of monsters like dragons etc .. so monsters and animals no, vocal lines of important NPCs like Lady Arbrieth be and already feasible but if type are missing lines voice? it would be strange, so ok for the idea but always trying not to overdo it with the use of vocal lines.

A job similar to BG: EE1-2 and IWD: EE for me is fine, to be able to use male and female vocal lines regardless of the sex you have chosen.

2) Should it be possible for players to put in their own custom voicesets? (questionable)

Here's one thing and insert the universal vocal lines, another thing and insert custom vocal lines, I like this idea ... for some time I thought about proposing it or not on the forum but ... I decided not to write it in case the my suggestion was not seen by most people.

as for the idea of ​​custom portraits already proposed and discussed many times both by myself and by many veteran people and not on the forum the vocal lines on the one hand can make even more unique the PW, on one side could help SP players to customize even more their characters, and of course there are 2 problems for me here.

1° NWN: EE still supports various audio formats, images etc ... of files that many can not see if they do not have certain programs, then we should solve this problem giving the possibility if you want to use muscihe etc ... audio file here ... in Mp3 format which is the most common and most used audio format.

2° you want to create a vocal line ... this implies different voices related to an action like an attack:

"Attak!"

like your character is dying:

"Ha ... my hart ... im..im die"

every emote or phrase that says the character that performs the characters and tied to a vocal file ... now I do not know how the creation of such a thing works but ... on the one hand and very cool on the other and seriously complicated.

if BD ever goes to investigate on a possibility to create custom vocal lines and put them into play, first of all it would take a folder creation in documents / NWN: EE and call it "Voice" then make sure to create several subfolders where insert the various voice files connected to a set of voice files such as:

Voice:

Young fluffy:

Attack
          Cry
          Laugh

etc..

so when you are in the game or want to use a custom voice file in the Tollaurora all the vocal files in that folder are automatically linked and the character or NPC uses all the connected voice set.

3) Portraits. Allow players to pick more portraits, all in game portraits to be available to all players. Leto already allowed this. Allow the game to do this without using Leto.

Linking to the first comment of the first point this could benefit PW moders and SP pepoles, but in my opinion the system should be more intuitive (as most systems of NWN: EE should still be improved and be available not only for Moddr but available of deafult for SP players, but as already discussed by many on the survey I created myself this creates conflicting thoughts on this implementation:

4) Appropriate emotes must keep going on and repeating until stopped. Dancing emote in particular. Singing. Laughing.

5) Should have more than one dance emote.

Yes ... the emotes say that there are many already basic in NWN unlike NWN2 that has very few ... although ... NWN2 through a specific modd adds different emotes and positions increasing more the personality of the character..this modd and incredible and the view to use on many PW in NWN2, here is the mod:

but this topic for me opens other "sub-topics" that are:

1 ° Update icons, icons must be updated, I think the NWN icons are too monotonous, different symbols for each skill etc ... but ttute the same color, the colors that predominate are, yellow / gold (class icons, feat , sat), green (positive buff), blue (factive skill, passive skill), purple (spell), red (buff negatives).

They are definitely too monotonous ... this is a basic problem that on many discussions has been a little neglected and should be discussed absolutely (also because in my opinion it is part of the UI refactor investigation)

so this needs to be revised, colorarel and icons to make them "less equal and monotonous" would be nice if BD could do it, or even give the PW modder the ability to create and insert custom icons.

returning to points 4-5 the problem and that in addition to having icons of the same color also have all the icons of a star, which makes the search for emote a little more frustrating, so in addition to creating new animations would also create icons for each emote in order to make it easier to use for PW moder and SP people.

Here is an example mod, taken from a series of famous mods for the PW "World Arena":

6) Characters need to be able to Jump. Yes, it is really vital. If possible map it to the spacebar key. Players need to be able to express their joy while playing and running in a group. Mmorpg players love to jump while running with their team.

Make the jump and already a bit more complicated first the space coffin and linked to the tactical break then mechanics like scalar and swim for example do not exist but are basic skills in D & d that however in NWN do not exist (same thing in NWN2 but this is added via mod).

Here, too, there are several topics such as adding skills and improving others, jumping, balancing, swimming missing in NWN and it would be nice if BD would insert them. give the ability to create levels-areas to "plans" like a tower, where you can jump on platforms or climb the stairs would be more immersive and add more mechanics to the game play, but this needs more research and investigation for me by of BD because in the case of the jump BG must find an alternative way to change the key of the tactical break.

7) Music. Need to be able to play music in game. Just a simple midi file is fine. And a playing music emote. This is really essential for bards. For examples of other mmorpgs with this ability: lotro and that other anime one whose name I have forgotten.

I do not understand if by "giving the possibility to play your own music" you mean background music while you play ... or play musical instruments and create a kind of musical band.

if you intend my second option, a similar and rather complex system, create different musical instruments and then create a system that allows you to connect notes to different keys or a virtual piano keyboard to create your own songs.

A similar system already exists in an MMO called "Lord of the Rings Online" for me and the most beautiful music system ever and I've never seen anything like this in my life ... one thing is certain in LOTRO there are players with this system have created virtual "bands" ... here is an example of the musical system in place:

8) Eyes. Character faces must have proper eyes. Beautiful eyes are quite needed. Sure, not as big as anime, but just eyes.

also on this it is discussed and proposed in the Trello board in "Revampig Carachters model", for me I am in favor of an implementation because not only would give more personalization you have players but would open the door to the creation of mod for every single detail of the face , eyes, hair, mouth ... in short, different possibilities.but this also means a revision of the character creation screen which consequently falls into the UI refactor, then enlarge the screen...

9) Flight would really be good, if it was possible. (Shadowrun i think had flight)

No fly I see an impossible thing even if ... in the campaign Sanctum of the Archmage: Enhanced Edition and you can do it in a section but ... and an isolated case ... fly anyway in NWN I see it a little forcing, I repeat NWN is not an MMO but with the possibility of creating its own mini MMOs (PW server).

10) Huge persistent world faction pvp (team pvp) servers. Community has some of them, but a huge faction pvp persistent server (or mod?) would be great for nwn. WoW has.. is it called Battlegrounds? Guildwars has it too.

as already mentioned above PvP-based PW servers are an example, and obviously even here if you want to create factions etc ... BD should add more scripts or new features for the game of PvP, but this also means balancing the classes, improvements of epic levels etc ... so a lot of work here too but to consider in the future.

To give you an idea of how Pvp works, here's a demonstration:

11) In game web browser. This is pretty important. Yes we can alt tab or have a dual monitor setup - but players love to sit in game browse the web and chat (i think lotro has an ingame browser, not sure).

I repeat ... NWN is not an MMO, if you want to use the browser in -game enough that you buy the steam version of NWN: EE to use the in-game browser (which you can do in any game you play via steam).

12) On the main game screen, the chatboxes, fonts and menus need to be resizeable. Was this already done in EE? Basically, I stopped playing one favourite mmo of mine, because when I upgraded to a large LCD screen, all the chat fonts and windows became too small and unreadable. I'm not certain if NWN still has the same problem.
    I will try to edit and post more as i remember it.

and in the end we return to the disordered UI refacto investigation, it is true that the UI must be resizable according to the format of the screen to make it more readable, but in general the interface of NWN: EE must be modernized, make it more customizable etc ... Trent this must be considered well because even here would open the door to an infinity of mod ... but basic for me NWN: EE should have a brand new UI in line with modern times.

Many considerations I explained in another post of my creation (which was not popular ... maybe I was wrong to do more than one topic like I did on your post ... people are lazy to read everything or not the interesting any player's imprecations) in any case here is the link of my discussion where I talk about the UI refactor and some ideas on how to improve it.

In the end I continue to say that NWN: EE still has a long way ahead for a release of the actual game ... in need of remodeling, new features and features, but the real problem here is finding a

BALANCE BETWEEN MODDER AND SP PLAYERS, BETWEEN SINGLE PLAYERS AND MULTIPLAYER PEPOLE.

KEY WORDS FOR NWN SUCCESS: EE:

BALANCE, COMPROMISE, MODERNIZAZIONE
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    It's not an MMMO but there were never any limitations to prevent one from being made, it was built for the purpose that players could use it to create persistent worlds. The original intention was probably more advanced than what players had in mind, with many interconnected worlds, rather than many individual worlds. Instead most just use the portalling function to host multiple connected servers of their own. The community extended what the original game could do but the ability to create large linked up worlds was part of the original design.

I also don't know what is meant by 12 years, the game is almost 16 years old, the last update was about 9 and a half years ago.
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    Some interesting ideas.
    I agree NWN is not an MMO. I always think of it as MUD, or if one permits a new acronym (and one hasn't a choice, really, has one? ) I'd say it's an SMO (Small Multiplayer Online) game.

-JFK

• voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    JFK said:

Some interesting ideas.
    I agree NWN is not an MMO. I always think of it as MUD, or if one permits a new acronym (and one hasn't a choice, really, has one? ) I'd say it's an SMO (Small Multiplayer Online) game.

-JFK

MMO RPG

Miniature Multiplayer Online Role-Play Game

;)
    edited February 2018

MMO RPG

;)

AND NO...no no noo NO! I'm sorry man, is a different the term, please do not confuse young undisciplined minds in this forum by creating confusion of the terms!

MMO RPG It means:

Massive-Multiplayer-Online-Role-Playing-Game

I know it for a long time now that means, but if you have doubts oxen look at Wikipedia and tell me if I'm right or wrong.

Post edited by HunterRayder93 on
  • MrDamageMrDamage Member Posts: 210
    edited February 2018

MMO RPG

;)

AND NO...no no noo NO! I'm sorry man, is a different the term, please do not confuse young undisciplined minds in this forum by creating confusion of the terms!

MMO RPG It means:

Massive-Multiplayer-Online-Role-Playing-Game

I know it for a long time now that means, but if you have doubts oxen look at Wikipedia and tell me if I'm right or wrong.

Ok then...

Micro Multiplayer Online Role-Play Game.

Or we could use MMORPG.

Minute Multiplayer Online Role-Play Game.

Either one should help clear up confusion and also help avoid any confusion with the Minuscule Multiplayer Role-Play Games.

Never heard of Massivly Multiplayer Role-Play Games.

Who uses massively in a sentence?

That's a genre that is never going to catch on.

I prefer Colossal Role-Play Games. Or CRPG's as they have become to be known.
  • LibertyisbackLibertyisback Member Posts: 49
    edited February 2018
    Just wanted to respond with some brief comments:

1) I continue to highly recommend the availability of all voicesets, maybe limited to those which use words rather than monster grunts etc, for all player characters. The material is already all in the game, and there are some hilarious hidden gems in the voices. Some of the most memorable moments in teampvp was being able to acerbically threaten your slayer after you died. Lying on the ground waiting for respawn, voicesets of npcs like Boddyknock or Deekin i think, had the most amazing one-liners and comebacks.Players lying dead on the ground waiting for repawn could have a caustic conversation between corpses while dead, just using voicesets. Meanwhile, players would fight on top of their bodies. No other mmo allows this.

2) Music-- yup, just a simple ability to play a midi file in game is sufficient (if possible). Lotro's band ability is absolutely amazing, but im not sure if that is beyond our resources to implement. I would settle just for the ability to play a simple midifile.

3) Definition of mmorpg and is nwn an mmo. I like to feel this is only semantics. What is nwn and what are other mmos? Just a fun way for online players to adventure together, wonder, hilarity and heartbreak all in one. Understood that way,I feel nwn still excels and is far ahead of other mmos.

4) GUI update. I'm not keen on modernising the UI, beyond allow resizing of windows and font.

(I wonder how BD is being funded...)

4) GUI update. I'm not keen on modernising the UI, beyond allow resizing of windows and font.

No no ... no no no ... NO! Ho man... Excuse me if I'll be hard and frank... but do you realize that what you said is a heresy? would you like to have the UI be left as it is ?! but have you tried the game? can I ask you? do you realize how swithc the action barr system is? do you realize your words? there ... I'm increasingly realizing that many people do not understand that this game is not only releasing it and I repeat "ONLY" for the old players of the NWN community who from hanni have "made themselves" creadnosi unofficial patches to fix bugs etc ... where Bioware could not do anything after the ceased development and support (something very common for Bioware to cease the development of its games and support sites ... just look at its Bioware forum. .. no longer exists), but wants to make "attract" new "FRESH" players, a new UI would not only improve the quality of life but would open up endless customization possibilities for NWN! WAKE UP! WAKE UP FROM this your illusion! we are not in 2002 we are in 2018! stop thinking only you have existing players still in the community think to get out of "Your shell" and open the doors to other players if you nune the future of NWN: EE will be few sales and will be dedicated to a single group of "niche" of fans .
  • SaintPhillipSaintPhillip Member Posts: 59
    edited February 2018

No no ... no no no ... NO! Ho man... Excuse me if I'll be hard and frank... but do you realize that what you said is a heresy? would you like to have the UI be left as it is ?! but have you tried the game? can I ask you? do you realize how swithc the action barr system is? do you realize your words? there ... I'm increasingly realizing that many people do not understand that this game is not only releasing it and I repeat "ONLY" for the old players of the NWN community who from hanni have "made themselves" creadnosi unofficial patches to fix bugs etc ... where Bioware could not do anything after the ceased development and support (something very common for Bioware to cease the development of its games and support sites ... just look at its Bioware forum. .. no longer exists), but wants to make "attract" new "FRESH" players, a new UI would not only improve the quality of life but would open up endless customization possibilities for NWN! WAKE UP! WAKE UP FROM this your illusion! we are not in 2002 we are in 2018! stop thinking only you have existing players still in the community think to get out of "Your shell" and open the doors to other players if you nune the future of NWN: EE will be few sales and will be dedicated to a single group of "niche" of fans .
    -Agree 100% and I think this line of thinking needs to be considered and is important in regards to all discussion here.

I constantly see people saying "There are already mods/downloads/fixes" to address this issue when talking about almost any issue and thats great but I personally do not want to go through Morrowind all over again (where the first 40 hours is browsing, installing and trying to get mods working) when this game needs to be brought up into this era with a single install.

This really does have the potential to give new life to this game with a highly active playerbase - New Modules, Persistent worlds and all that will come with a huge influx of players- But alot of that is contingent with modernizing everything.

There were already mods that did everything including giving a listing of Pw servers- So why add anything then? Why even have an EE? Why not stick with Diamond and just mod it? Nobody is taking that option from anyone- But if this game is going to have the reach I believe it will (and beamdog has to want from it or they would have just released Diamond on Steam)then the basics need to be part of the game and not something that we need to hunt for on a frankly, outdated website that is not well organized.

-This has to be more than just "tweaked to run on a modern system" but must be brought up to date in all facets and this game becomes huge...That will benefit everyone.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    edited February 2018

First of all I want to say that NWN: EE is not a real MMO but during these 12 years many modders and player communities exploiting the potentialities of the editor could create "their" mini MMO regardless of any limitation.

@HunterRayder93 I just want to say this is a great observation that completely changed the way I read this thread, and for the better. Thanks for that :)
    Ah ha!

MMMORPG

Mini Massively Multiplayer Online Role Play Game
    edited February 2018

I constantly see people saying "There are already mods/downloads/fixes" to address this issue when talking about almost any issue and thats great but I personally do not want to go through Morrowind all over again (where the first 40 hours is browsing, installing and trying to get mods working) when this game needs to be brought up into this era with a single install.

I tried to discuss this in many of my posts and proposals that I made, as in my last survey on inserting the "ceilings" in NWN: EE, I was almost rejected by most, saying almost everyone who does not want this type of change because "It breaks my form", always this "My my mine" as if almost the whole community of NWN was formed by people acting like Gollum of the lord of the rings,But I think that most of this forum here all come from NWValut that I am increasingly realizing that his community is very bad and too closed in itself, they think too much about themselves, they are closed in their world, and they do not want to no help of any kind, just look at their site, why do you think that the discussion of a renewal of NWValut has moved on their forums? it is not because @Shadooow it seems almost makes a bit of a lawyer defender of the community, but because the community of NWN on this side and very closed and "conservative" have realized that here on the forum BD talk they were only discredited.This week I tried to download some mods especially the CEP or CPP (okay) I removed everything! because it was ruining the game, a little because even if it was explained certain files not placed them in the right place or I had to go to "modify" the basic content of this game, and since I have to do these things I do with a lot of caution, it took me maybe 3 hours to figure out where to put ini files. etc ... but without success ... there are no guides or things that tell you where to put the files, and ridicule, then most of the projects are also misdirected about where to put them, they say a lot "And but ... all NWValut's projects are compatible with NWN: EE "pity that all the projects do not have a well explained guide on which files to download them, whether to decompress them or not or whether to put them in a specific folder or not, is that the last drop was when I tried to install a modd for armor this made me tilt the Aurora tollset blocking the game, removed immediately ... now I'm not here to complain about what works or not NWValut ... this is not the point of the discussion, the problem and that as you say tea always say that there are already "There are already mod / download / corrections" but it is starting to be an excuse from a bunch of players too proud of their work (not all ... miraccomando some have their heads right though maybe even a little bit attached to the old version of NWN and do not want to detach and it's still not out the official release) Greedy, selfish and pompous, and do not want to change anything of NWN: EE, so much so that I bought the Diamond edition and I was done.

This really does have the potential to give new life to this game with a highly active playerbase - New Modules, Persistent worlds and all that will come with a huge influx of players- But alot of that is contingent with modernizing everything.

There were already mods that did everything including giving a listing of Pw servers- So why add anything then? Why even have an EE? Why not stick with Diamond and just mod it? Nobody is taking that option from anyone- But if this game is going to have the reach I believe it will (and beamdog has to want from it or they would have just released Diamond on Steam)then the basics need to be part of the game and not something that we need to hunt for on a frankly, outdated website that is not well organized.

The problem is that BD has become fossilized with a history of compatibility that in a game like that for me can not talk about it, every time updating the Head-Start modders must always and constantly update their modules, PW etc. to make that work properly, for me this already breaks the compatibility per se so stay to say so many words only for the "fear" because here everyone is just afraid, afraid of making sure that their modules do not work anymore in EE, fear that they will have to constantly update, fear that with new commands and graphical options their work will have graphic errors in short, things like this ... just that ... a bit for too much pride etc ... they say nothing by hiding everything and inventing sentences and theories absurd to defend myself .. I start to understand ... but fight 1 against a thousand players who think differently from a player of the new millennium and a battle lost and I'm giving up.

-This has to be more than just "tweaked to run on a modern system" but must be brought up to date in all facets and this game becomes huge...That will benefit everyone.

Yes, the game has the potential to revive, but if the situation is this and remains as it is ... my heart cries to say but here we will not go very far and NWN: EE as I said many times will be dedicated to the public of "niche" and will therefore not be very successful.

@HunterRayder93 I just want to say this is a great observation that completely changed the way I read this thread, and for the better. Thanks for that :)
    My dear @GreenWarlock I'm glad you think so like this, but I think it's for me (but maybe I'm wrong) the right way to describe one of the many qualities of NWN.

I repeat anyway ... NWN is not an MMO and a game where you can "create" your own MMO, exceeding the programming limits.
  • LyraVrenLyraVren Member Posts: 21

Ah ha!

MMMORPG

Mini Massively Multiplayer Online Role Play Game

Miniature Giant Multiplayer Online Role Play Game.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited February 2018
    I think that certain movie making companies might have a problem with that last suggestion's acronym - MGM ORPG.

TR
  • ZwerkulesZwerkules Member Posts: 112

I tried to discuss this in many of my posts and proposals that I made, as in my last survey on inserting the "ceilings" in NWN: EE, I was almost rejected by most, saying almost everyone who does not want this type of change because "It breaks my form", always this "My my mine" as if almost the whole community of NWN was formed by people acting like Gollum of the lord of the rings,But I think that most of this forum here all come from NWValut that I am increasingly realizing that his community is very bad and too closed in itself, they think too much about themselves, they are closed in their world, and they do not want to no help of any kind, just look at their site, why do you think that the discussion of a renewal of NWValut has moved on their forums? it is not because @Shadooow it seems almost makes a bit of a lawyer defender of the community, but because the community of NWN on this side and very closed and "conservative" have realized that here on the forum BD talk they were only discredited
    All you are saying here just boils down to one thing, you have a different opinion than those you call conservative. How is your opinion in any way more valid than theirs? You do the same thing of which you accuse them: Accepting your opinion as the only valid one and not bothering to see someone elses point of view.
    This is not how discussions work if you don't want to go around in circles.
    Zwerkules said:

All you are saying here just boils down to one thing, you have a different opinion than those you call conservative. How is your opinion in any way more valid than theirs? You do the same thing of which you accuse them: Accepting your opinion as the only valid one and not bothering to see someone elses point of view.
    This is not how discussions work if you don't want to go around in circles.

agree maybe I'm too outspoken, but here we speak mostly to come against, it is not comlpa if from this point of view I'm not a genius of modding but it is still not right that on every single new request to add functions etc ... someone from the NWValut or a veteran must always nip the idea to the first post that does, without first asking, can you make an alternative? or "ok okay but I would like to think a little more deeply to this request", once again I have not seen anyone in the NWValut discuss it, what I read and smpre "No this is not okay breaks me the compatibility of my form "My never a" This is not good because it breaks the compatibility of many mods ", the problem is that every single modder speaks for himself and never for the community, there is no real coalition of thought, it seems that every one thinks for the proper good of the contents it creates and this is a bit sad because a solid community must be united and not have divided and conflicting thoughts.

However, mine is not an intimidating speech and a reflection.

One thing you took as an example is the thread about adding ceilings to interior tilesets and especially in that thread I don't see everybody just fighting for what they want. For example if I would just want to protect my work or worse force it on others, I would NOT have spoken against adding ceilings because I am one of the custom content creators who added ceilings to standard tilesets. I like the ceilings, but I do play the game with a low camera angle which works perfect with them, while the majority of players use a very different camera angle and the ceilings can get in the way. I can agree with Andarian's and Proleric's point of view even IF I do like ceilings. And I am not the only one who accepted someone else's opinion in that thread. I don't think people are quite so set in their ways as you think they are. A discussion is there to look at all the valid points people bring up and I don't feel like this isn't done in the discussions here.

You said "this is a bit sad because a solid community must be united and not have divided and conflicting thoughts". I don't agree with that statement at all. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion and discussions are there to get through the differences. If everybody would agree with everybody else right from the start, we wouldn't need discussions, but we also would never get some fresh opinions or could ever adjust our point of view to a better one.
    Zwerkules said:

You said "this is a bit sad because a solid community must be united and not have divided and conflicting thoughts". I don't agree with that statement at all. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion and discussions are there to get through the differences. If everybody would agree with everybody else right from the start, we wouldn't need discussions, but we also would never get some fresh opinions or could ever adjust our point of view to a better one.

It may be true that there is dialogue but the real problem is that everything looks different from the outside as you say tea for me.

Put yourself in the shoes for a moment of a new player, who starts playing NWN: EE, the first time he tries to enter the community it seems to him so distantly distant, and then the new player gets a slightly distorted idea of the community of Neverwinter Night's ... in a nutshell and as if from outside a new player feels treated like an Outsider and is not considered, or as he opens his mouth is attacked, maybe I'm wrong from a certain point of view ... but ... and that the impression I'm starting to have.
  • TheBarbarianTheBarbarian Member Posts: 58
    To be fair (and I say that as someone leaning towards progressivism, myself), conservatism has an important and worthy role in society. When used constructively, it preserves what is good about the things that are now, so that they may be passed on to the next generation. It protects us from the fallout of rashly-made decisions, by demanding that change move ahead slowly enough that we don't run into walls or off cliffs.

Likewise, progressives need to be mindful of their responsibility to consider carefully what should be added to what is now. To do that well, they need to be able to understand and appreciate the things that are and were. It's perfectly possible to progress from a warm, cushy couch into a spiky pit - that's change, too, just not desirable change.

I rather agree that the shutdown of @HunterRayer93's suggestions here has been unnecessarily harshly formulated at times. It doesn't make a lot of sense until you consider that the old-established people have reason to fear change, here. Many of us joined the game community because it was the way it was - a great but essentially derelict game. Some of the folks you've been clashing with have put years and years into their lives into this, @HunterRayder93 - and, as awesome as it is that NWN is being developed again, it's also pretty dang distressing. It's basically climate change - move to a desert because you like deserts, but then water appears! Oh no! What do you mean, it'll be an ocean soon?!

They've got squabbles and worries of their own, which they oughtn't be taking out on you. I can only guess that it seems more acceptable since this is a different place from the Vault. I think putting people in unfamiliar surroundings may make them more likely to stick together and defend familiar faces. @Proleric and @Shadooow certainly have their own history, too, which is unrelated to anything you've suggested. ::fist shake:: This kind of thing is why I keep telling you people to put effort into not being jerks to eachother. These problems just grow and spread until everyone's just kind of snapping at eachother.

For what it's worth, I'm quite sure that there will be a new generation of modders soon enough, and Beamdog are plenty smart enough to consider the marketability of the product and include things like workshop support (see latest livestream). Sad truth is, the current denizenry of the Vault may not necessarily be as relevant as we might like to think we are.

But the Vault is not an extension of Beamdog. The currently existing NWN community has plenty of reason to be disillusioned with and suspicious of the patronage of commercial entities; it's been kicked to the curb by such patrons more than once. There're good reasons for why suggestions of Beamdog modernizing the Vault or taking and integrating content aren't received with cheers of joy and agreement by the people who've been around to experience that.

I think the guys at Beamdog see the right way forward just fine. It's not an either-or thing; it's perfectly possible to have both. The Vault can stay the calm noncommercial newbie-friendly place it's always been. Modders that want their content to be more accessible can upload it onto the workshop, or on the Nexus. I'm sure some of the old faces will be making use of that option.

I think it'd be more productive to discuss the pros and cons of individual suggestions rather than make it a conservatism-versus-progressivism or old-versus-new thing, anyway. When it comes down to it, the existing modders are the ones capable of teaching the new ones the ropes; these are the guys manning the help desk for everybody who wants to get into content creation or modulebuilding.

Progressivism and conservatism both have important roles in society, and they both do their work best when they consider eachother's needs and wish eachother well. It's difficult to picture, in the world as we've got it today, but these positions aren't actually enemies.

Opposing views and preferences only become a problem when people decide that there may only be one or the other.
    Person A
    |----------|
            |----------|
                Person B
    ^- These viewpoints overlap, but are significantly different. If Person A and person B both say "our viewpoints must be identical!!", there's the problem of deciding who should shift. A to the right? B to the left? A a little to the right, B a little to the left?

What we really ought to try to be doing is this:
    Person A
    |----------|----|
       |----|----------|
                Person B
    Paradigm expansion, rather than paradigm shifting. It's possible to grow to appreciate something we currently don't appreciate ourselves, for the fact alone that somebody else appreciates it. Moreover, differing viewpoints are an advantage, not a disadvantage. We are trying to see things from as many different perspectives as possible, after all. Cultivating cultural homogeneity just means everyone is blind to the same threats.

To make a pretense of being in this thread to do anything other than advocating for a healthy degree of centrism in all things:

It's actually already possible to make playable music instruments in NWN. What you need to do is get the sound files, get a music instrument model, set up an activatable inventory item, set up a script named for the tag of the activatable inventory item, make the script check which event has been signalled, make the item start a "music playing" conversation with the PC if the activation event has been signalled, set up a conversation with dialogue options for the various sound files, make choosing the dialogue options play the sound file. If y'wanna try, @Libertyisback, we're always up to walking newbies through the processes.

I want flying and jumping too! ^^ Even just vertical-position adjusting flying. And swimming! And playable races that don't have legs, but rather have tails, like mermaids and snakepeople.

I'd also like to (optionally) be able to tab out of the game without it autopausing, and agree that more of the existing voicesets should be made available for players to choose. I've also dabbled in raid boss scripting a bit, and would be pretty stoked about it if raid groups of upwards of ten people became feasible in NWN.

More emotes are always good. Multiperson ones would be very nice - waltzing, for instance. Or bosses that grab players, or stuff like the player jumping onto the back of the dragons' necks in Dragon Age: Origins. I don't think that's something we've got in NWN at the moment.

Something else I'd really like would be to be able to store and restore the contents of the action queue; "pause actions - do thing - resume actions". ClearAllActions() just erases the queue. If it's already possible, please for the love of cake somebody tell me how; I'm currently trying to figure out how to work around not being able to do this, and it is causing me considerable grief. :-(
    ::string of expletives:: I just accidentally deleted a giant wall of text here while trying to edit @s in before Proleric and Shadooow's names. I hate everything. Does anyone have a version of the thread open where it's still posted?
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    edited February 2018
    HunterRayder, you're as welcome to the 'Community' (whatever exactly that means) as anyone else, and your opinions are as welcome as anyone's opinions. That doesn't mean everyone -- or even anyone-- will always agree with your opinions. Just as it doesn't mean everyone or anyone will always agree with mine.

Don't be discouraged if it seems like your ideas are met with opposition. Instead, state your ideas and the reasons behind them, and defend them with more ideas instead of settling back on "the Community is against me".

Go to the Vault. Log in, read up. Get to know people. This community is NOT insular or elitist. Anyone can participate.

-JFK
    I invite HunterRayder and TheBarbarian to join discussions here: https://discord.gg/wAGGva.
    Well, others, too, of course.
  • thirdmousethirdmouse Member Posts: 67
    edited February 2018
    To needlessly pontificate further on what @Zwerkules already said, one reason that the vault might seem like this monolith of negativity is often, people from that community are more aware of the larger ocean of content (vs just one person's favorite or the one thing they made), so even if a suggestion is something they might personally enjoy (I also have used Z's ceilings, but I also can turn them off in different modules that way), they can easily identify the points where that clashes with the goals of backwards compatibility in different ways - sometimes very large ones that might be impossible to prevent, yet also difficult to understand for those not as familiar with the processes.

At the same time, sometimes people are *also* defending their personal work, and yeah, in those cases people can get protective, sometimes :) Lots of hours have gone into these projects that many people have enjoyed and claim to want others to enjoy in the future, so no one really wants to see them scrapped. Besides, the people that have stayed on all these years building content for NWN are obviously among the superfans - everyone wants to see the EE succeed. They just might have different visions about what that means. (And huge wishlists pour from this camp, as well, not only debate on whether things will break old content :P )
    edited February 2018

Zwerkules said:

It may be true that there is dialogue but the real problem is that everything looks different from the outside as you say tea for me.

Put yourself in the shoes for a moment of a new player, who starts playing NWN: EE, the first time he tries to enter the community it seems to him so distantly distant, and then the new player gets a slightly distorted idea of the community of Neverwinter Night's ... in a nutshell and as if from outside a new player feels treated like an Outsider and is not considered, or as he opens his mouth is attacked, maybe I'm wrong from a certain point of view ... but ... and that the impression I'm starting to have.
    It all depends on ones expectations and if they conduct themselves as a rational adult in discussion.

Good: These are my ideas and I wanted to share them with you! Let's discuss how they could best become a reality or why some of them can't work!

Bad: These are my ideas and I demand every single one of them be added in the next patch. They should all be really easy to add, especially turning my last idea into its own completely separated game. Everyone who tells me otherwise is part of an agenda and they are KILLING TEH GAME!

Better: Now I'm going to go eat tide pods for YouTube hits.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264

::string of expletives:: I just accidentally deleted a giant wall of text here while trying to edit @s in before Proleric and Shadooow's names. I hate everything. Does anyone have a version of the thread open where it's still posted?

@TheBarbarian I found it in the forum's spam filter. You are now verified so this sort of thing shouldn't happen again.
    @Tresset
    ::wail of anguish:: BUT I JUST FINISHED REWRITING IT FROM SCRATCH.

Thank you kindly. :-)