Skip to content

Trello - Rules Expansion/Redo - Request to allow alternate rule systems

I would like to see NWN:EE soft-coded to allow you to play the game using different systems (not just limited to only D&D 3.0). For example, I would love to have the option to play the OC using D&D 3.5 rules (instead of 3.0). I am NOT asking that BeamDog code-in the rules for D&D 3.5 (leave that to the community), but if for example specific groups of rules/code could be grouped together and named/categorized (to belong to a specific rule system), it would be helpful.

Having NWN:EE soft-coded to allow multiple rule systems, could mean that players could easily play games from a variety of d20-based systems, including: D20 Modern, D&D 4th Edition, D&D 5th Edition, Pathfinder, and Starfinder. I would also like to see advanced options where alternative rules are included such as gestalt (from Unearthed Arcana) which allows a character to advance in two classes simultaneously.

I especially would like to see the ability to download entire rule system packages, with an options menu which can toggle which rule system you use.
ProontHunterRayder93mangamuscleMaloneyEksevisdunahanSorcererV1ct0rSar_YehudahPrince_Raymond

Comments

• 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    edited January 2018
    It would be great if you could create a mod that would use 5e rules. Open up the code enough for the community to do an accurate and functional 5e conversion.
    jorahkaiMaloney
  • ildaronildaron Member Posts: 52
    This is something I would desire as well. I prefer 3.5 over 3.0 and would enjoy updating to 5th edition as well.
    HunterRayder93jorahkaiMaloney
  • raz651raz651 Member Posts: 175
    I would also. :)
    jorahkai
  • ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 402
    I didn't study 5.0. But afaik this edition is suited for games and spells/feats are cooldown based right?

I think that all we need to make 5.0 rules mod faithful is the ability to show cooldown on spell/feat in guickslot. Something like in League of Legends.
    HunterRayder93RifleLeroy
  • MadHatterMadHatter Member Posts: 145
    edited January 2018
    5e doesn't have cooldowns. It's basically the same as 3.X except that instead of defining things as "per day" they are defined as "per short rest" or "per long rest". A short rest is the type of thing you do after a big fight before going to level 2 of the dungeon. A long rest is the traditional D&D sleep.

It'd be fairly easy to implement.

Truthfully, 5e would not be a very difficult thing to create in NWN so long as more stuff is softcoded. It's mechanically less complicated than 3.X.
    Maloney1varangiandunahan
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    You would need the ability to turn off bonus ability points and feats per character level. Then you would need the option to pick a feat or take +2 to an ability score, or any permutation of +1 and +1 to two ability scores, which could be done with a lot of feats. Finally you need the ability to cap all scores at 20 except for very specific class enhancements and magic items. The rest should be straight forward enough.

I think it still remains to be seen whether or not 5e will make a good video game experience. There are a lot less moving parts, fewer options, and more emphasis on theater of the mind which might not translate well and instead create a repetitive game.

One of the main spell casting differences is that they use a weaker concentration mechanic but they use it for every other spell.

Bounded accuracy is a bit of a marketing term for minimal base progression. Most of the exploitative stuff comes from combing certain feats and class options to exceed those supposed bounds.

It's also a high hp and quick healing style of game but then again so is NWN in comparison to official 3.0/3.5 rules.
  • mangamusclemangamuscle Member Posts: 30
    edited January 2018

I especially would like to see the ability to download entire rule system packages, with an options menu which can toggle which rule system you use.

Hear! Hear!

I think it would be quite interesting if you could buy books as add-ons for NWN; i.e. you could buy "Psionics Handbook" or "Savage Species" or "Ghostwalk" and voila, a plethora of new options for characters open up. Of course this should be coupled with the option of downloading content from PW servers, so that the owner of the server should buy the "book" to add the extra options, but not each player that logs on (mind you, like in real life tabletop RPGs).
    HunterRayder93
  • Sunssarathi2029Sunssarathi2029 Member Posts: 32
    Ability to download "packages" of alternate rules would benefit NWN EE Greatly. Best part about both NWN and NWN EE is in its ability to build your own adventure.

Beamdog do not ever need to make those packages themselves. Only unlockong the possibility.
    ildaron
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    Remove party size penalty.
    Maloney
  • jorahkaijorahkai Member Posts: 2
    I like the idea of being able to load in different rulesets and UA but in a pinch I wish we could use the 5e as default.
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    jorahkai said:

I like the idea of being able to load in different rulesets and UA but in a pinch I wish we could use the 5e as default.

Simpler for sure, but also more limited.
  • raz651raz651 Member Posts: 175
    I would love to have the 5e ruleset in Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition.

HunterRayder93
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    Would this sort of softcoding allow for the implementation of "concentration" spellcasting?
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    Concentration spellcasting is already in the base game you just have to tweak it slightly.
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    This is one of those ideas that is much easier thought about than actually implemented. It sounds absolutely brutal and impossible without starting over from scratch.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Added feedback from this thread and a link to it to the following card:
    https://trello.com/c/RSiHolDI/21-allow-custom-classes-and-spellbooks
    dunahan
  • PL1PL1 Member Posts: 31
    I'd definitely like to see NWN be able to use different systems. I'm honestly not crazy about most of the D&D rulesets, in large part because of the spellcasting system. I'd much prefer something non-Vancian. D&D 4e would also be good, although I'm not sure how well it could work in a RTWP format.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    IMO : Pathfinder > 3.5 > 3.0 > 5e >>> (...) >>> 4e

Will be amazing if we can play in 3.5e
  • Sar_YehudahSar_Yehudah Member Posts: 135
    OP, YES please!
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    I really want a 5e spellcasting system with concentration and preparation rules. More flexibility in casting and no ridiculous buff stacking.
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    I've not looked into any versions after 3.5, which anyone would prefer to 3.0 IMO. I've heard that 5.0 is very good as well. Either way, if it's the player's option which to use, and there's no adverse affect on gameplay or stability...
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    @shabadoo I don't see how you would make it a player's option. It has to be a builder's. Think about the thousands of user made sp modules. They are all made to work with 3.0. Allowing the player to choose the ruleset would likely break some of them at least. As far as persistent worlds go I can foresee that you will in future be able to choose to play on a server that implements say 5ed rules, but again that would be the builders choice to make it so. For sp modules it could well be that builders in the future have the option to use other rulesets if they so choose. In fact, it is possible to some extent today, to build using alternative rules for example D20 Modern. But unless you can find modules/persistent worlds that use them, this large download is not much use to a player.

TR
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    I don't see how either, but that wasn't the point. The point was what we would like to see.