Skip to content

Basic information on Steam please

ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,268
I activated my product key on Steam today, but have no idea what to do next.

I've only used Steam back in the day, when it was mandatory DRM for Skyrim. I never needed to use the Steam client, as Skyrim would start OK as long as Steam was running in the background. So a basic FAQ would help. In particular,
  • Steam is asking me to install NWN EE again. Do I need to do this? Why?
  • If I install NWN EE again under Steam, can I / should I map that installation onto the game folders I already have for saves and custom content?
  • There has been talk of downloading custom content on Steam. Where can I find out about this?
  • Is there an NWN forum on Steam? As an author, do I need to monitor it?
  • How do I stop Steam from starting automatically? There is a Steam client option, but it doesn't seem to work - on reboot, Steam is still lurking, according to Task Manager.
Some basic help would be appreciated!
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    1. Because exe from Beamdog and exe from Steam are two separate files, so when you acquire something on Steam, you have to install in separately.
    2. Folders in /Documents will be the same
    3. It's Steam Workshop.
    4. Sure, there is. As for monitoring, - your choice.
    5. You should define it in the Steam app. Not sure why the option doesn't work for you if you tell Steam not to launch at Windows launch.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,268
    edited February 2018
    Thanks. That enabled me to find these helpful instructions .

From that, I learn that I need to install a Steam copy of EE if I want to upload custom content to Steam, or download from it. I'll need to think about the pros and cons.

I guess you mean the folders in /Documents are common, so that both Steam and Beamdog copies of the game share the same files?

JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Proleric said:

I guess you mean the folders in /Documents are common, so that both Steam and Beamdog copies of the game share the same files?

Yes.
    Proleric
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,268
    More detailed information for builders is now available at the Vault.

Unofficial, of course. Corrections welcome.
    JuliusBorisov