Skip to content

New Beamdog content for OC, SOU and HOTU?

12346»

Comments

• MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
    I have one regret though thinking it through and it's in HotU, it concerns this talking sword and the golem you can forge later, I always wanted to move that consciousness in that golem but never found how if even possible.
  • CerabelusCerabelus Member Posts: 385
    Yeah talking to Enserric the longsword in Chapter 2 he said that maybe a well crafted golem could be suitable but it didn't lead anywhere, I wanted to help him.
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
    I'm wondering if we'll have a transition module between SoU and HotU. Bioware ran a competition and "The Nether Scroll" won, I wonder if there'll be anything official around this in this version.
    edited February 2018
    Trent mentioned on the last stream that when he was playing the OC he came across a "Gang Leader" in the prison district and he died so he went to the toolset and started changing that character, i thought this was pretty funny as i was talking about this very character back in December 2017.

I posted this back then,
    NPC is a
    Fighter/Rogue Lvl 7
    STR = 13 ?
    DEX = 10 ??? (a Rogue with low DEX)
    CON = 18
    and Health is 135
    NPC has next to no equipment and biggest asset is abnormally high HP.

Trent said he was Lvl 3 straight from the Prologue, now i don't know what class Trent is playing as but i tend towards Wizard and this NPC can be a challenge if you don't fight the lesser enemies first and Lvl up.

The enemies in the OC are seriously lacking in stats and equipment, this NPC in an escaped prisoner and shouldn't be fully equipped but i think he should have these stats,

Fighter/Rogue Lvl 5
    STR = 12
    DEX = 14 or 16 (a Rogue needs DEX)
    CON = 12 or 14
    And health should be more like 60 or 80 to keep things challenging (he is a mini boss)
    and gave bosses some basic gear appropriate to class and Lvl.

You can increase the challenge without making enemies with crazy high HP, if the enemy is a special type like dragons or demons and so on well that's different they're special and should be better than you.

If they ever change the OC or when they make new Modules they need to make better enemies with appropriate stats and gear.
  • HunterRayder93HunterRayder93 Member Posts: 266
    edited February 2018
    But Treant says, no no never change the OC ... now I do not remember this mini.boss in particular madi sure the base campaign has too many imbalances of stat, level, equipment, spell and skills that are not realistic ... for me the final fight I remember it played with a wizard / ranger / arcane arcer follower warrior and Pixie as familiar (the choice of Pixie and a fact of love for that kind of familiar), it was completely impossible even if I was at 20 character ... I had to use the tricks of the console to be able to kill the final boss at the end of the game ...

Treant if you're reading these comments please ... think about it ... NWN is not just multyplayer, PW and modding ... there is also the SP part that for good or bad has left a place in the heart in many ( maybe a few) players, I have loved Lady Arbrieth, and Drona Trap Springher and Tomy Andergallows are among my favorite followers (there is also mezorco but I do not remember his name), give us love! Give Us A SIGN OF CHANGE!
  • DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    edited February 2018
    @Cerabelus Honestly, because its a Rogue/Fighter it doesn't need that much Dexterity, considering he can wear medium or heavy armor. I've always imagined them as strength based thuggish rogues because of the fact it always felt like they did a bajillion damage on non-sneaks, and the fact you can't finesse a Longsword, which is his only weapon. Personally, I'd give him the stats below, based somewhat on a build I was playing through the first chapter with.
    Gang Leader

5 Rogue/2 Fighter
    HP: 71 (6*5 + 10*2 + 3*7)
    AB: 9 (5 BaB + 3 Str + 1 Weapon Focus)
    AC: 18 (10 + 5 (Breastplate) + 2 (Dex) + 1 (Tumble)

STR: 16 (15 if he was 1st level)
    DEX: 14
    CON: 14
    INT: 14
    WIS: 12
    CHA: 8

FORT: 6
    REF: 6
    WILL: 2

Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Weapon Focus (Longsword), Toughness, Knockdown, Disarm (Plus Class Feats)
    Skills: Disable Trap 8, Open Lock 8, Pickpocket 8, Parry 8, Spot 8, Listen 8, Search 8, Intimidate 8, Persuade 8, Bluff 8, Tumble 8, Discipline 10

Items: Longsword, Breastplate, a couple healing and buff potions
    I know some of the skills there are superflous (Well, any of his rogue skills outside of Tumble, Listen, Spot, Parry, and maybe Search), but as I stated I was assuming I was making him as a player; and besides, I always give NPC's skills they'd realistically have but not use considering that they are NPC's.

By the way, can I just say that Bioware was very sadistic with some of the traps? Chapter 1 is littered with, if the fact they do 80 damage on average it seems is any indication, Deadly AoE Fire traps. Me and my father played through chapter 1 multiplayer and got to the chapter boss, beat him, and then died before saving because there was such a trap on a box outside his room. I'm all for meaningful traps, but do we need traps that do way more damage than players typically have in health at the time you encounter them? Unless you know a trap is there or enter search mode at every box you encounter, you definitely are going to have some unfair deaths here and there in an otherwise easymode (except a few instances) campaign.

@HunterRayder93 Spoiler warning for others, but whatever.
    You didn't really explain what the difficulty was with the fight. Did you kill the guys in the back of the room that prevent you from hurting Morag? She has a bunch of immunities they provide, so you have to blow them up in order to kill her. I ask if you did this because I had the opposite problem in pretty much all the campaigns (except HotU) with the final bosses when I got to them, and I was level 15 at the end of the OC, 13 at the end of SoU, and... Well, I didn't fight Mephistopheles, he's my partner in crime now. They were just too easy for me. She's actually really fragile (well, fragile for a boss, she only has ~100 HP) once her immunities are down. Granted, I never played a Wizard that far as they just aren't very fun to me compared to Fighter and Cleric types, so I don't really know how hard the fight would be.
    Yeah those stats are even better, challenging but not too powerfully for a mini boss, if I had that character I'd consider higher DEX for Two Weapon Fighting and Ambidexterity, now that I think of it I wonder what a Fighter/Rogue/Weapon Master would be like?

Damn those traps! I've got not so fond memories of trying to open a chest and getting blasted with over twice my HP, I like having the Pixie familiar to help with those but if I need to I give that damn chest a good fireball, on NWN 2 & KOTOR 2 they stopped me destroying chests by making items break but on KOTOR 2 you get XP each time you pick a lock so that was incentive to expand my skill set so no more using Lightsabers to open everything :)
  • raz651raz651 Member Posts: 175
    As far as traps are concerned, if you are going to try and open every chest, there are items you can wear that will reduce the amount of damage caused by the traps.
    edited February 2018
    @Cerabelus One of the starting characters is "Devastating Rogue" and he's a elven Rogue/Weapons Master IIRC. Don't know if he has fighter levels or not, but you could theorycraft looking there. I'd also appreciate it if I could get EXP from breaking traps and locks, because as it stands even in NWN2 I break open chests because in my experience the good stuff isn't destroyed, only minor things are, and my current Strength Based rogue isn't gaining anything other than having a use for Thieves Tools outside of bashing the few chests that are just barely out of her reach with their DCs.

@raz651 The only item I've seen that would help is the Ring of Elemental Resistance you get from the Champion of Helm or whatever his name is, but thats not only OP as hell regardless but also by the time you get it the traps aren't a problem anymore unless you're playing a low HP character like a Rogue or a Wizard. A ring with -10 to fire isn't going to save my 48 HP total 3rd level full constitution Barbarian when the trap does 80 fire damage, and it certainly won't help my henchman or summons who don't benefit from the ring. Strong traps are good, but too strong for a character of the level you'll reasonably encounter them at isn't fun. I admit something may be stronger than that though, as its been a while since I've actually gone looking through the shops outside of the weapons/armor guy and Aribeth.
    You can get a Necklace to reduce a single element by 20 (if the crapy loot system lets you) but at low levels it is little help when even half trap damage is more than you have at that time but they can mean the difference between death and limping away with 1HP, I can't tell you how many times a trap reduced my HP to 5 or less and the only thing that saved me was either Protection from the Elements spell & necklace.
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    I think they should have enhanced the game with the 3.5 rules. They are more balanced. In 3.0 clrerics are completely overpowered. And haste. So overpowered at high levels. It makes quicken spell useless (and that having into account that quicken spell takes a spell slot 3 levels higher)
  • tgxtgx Member Posts: 40
    So, has there been any talk about changing the love interest to enable same-sex romance? I'm mostly talking about the rings or whatever they are from Aribeth or that black guy, and that being a thing that's currently restricted to whether you have a male or female PC.

It might be nice to be able to choose to go after Aribeth even if you're female. Or the other way. Has this been mentioned at all?
  • AndarianAndarian Member Posts: 185
    According to indications, they're not planning on re-making the OC. Nor should they.

Engine Updates and New Content. That's the future of NWN:EE.
    They showed a new character model for Aribeth and despite the hair not looking quite right i thought it was good.
  • TrixterTrixter Member Posts: 237
    Last two are kind of similar. I would LOVE to see the NWN2 prestige classes imported into 1.
    edited February 2018
    I'd love to check out a working Mystic Theurge class that was never finished for NWN2, also the Harper class is better in NWN2 so yeah bring that over and Divine prestige classes and Feats like Natural Spell that allow Druids to cast while shifted, I saw a guy online once who had a Lvl 3 monk / Lvl 30 + Druid and was awesome, some use Cleric levels and travel domain to get Access to Haste spell but I think Monk/Druid I quiet sufficient (Dragon Shaped Monk :) ).
    I've been wondering what people may want as in specific changes to the OC (it's doubtful they will at this point), at first i'm wondering about the Prelude and that i never take Pavel with me as companions soak up XP but if the Prelude was harder i would be inclined to bring a meat shield, the Boss i would power up so he had Lvl 2 spells (Lvl 3 or 4 Wizard) and give him a different helmet instead of that stupid Pot Helmet (he looks totally ridiculous), but you gotta be careful about beefing them up too much in the Prelude or people won't be able to get past it, there's 3 versions of the same boss in the toolset "Unknown Mage" & " 2 Mysterious Mage's".

Mysterious Mage (Listed under Custom 1)

Wizard Lvl 3

HP 17

STR 8
    DEX 13
    CON 9
    INT 18
    WIS 12
    CHA 8

Equipped with

Pot Helmet (no enchantments)
    Assassin's Garb (no enchantments)
    Quarterstaff (no enchantments)

Now this guys it pretty crap but we can't have him too powerful but if he was Lvl 3 or 4 (not Lvl 5 as we can't have NPC's throwing fireballs just yet) and changed spellbook to give him 4 Ray of Frost, 1 Shield spell, 2 Magic Missiles, 1 Death Armor spell and 1 Web spell he would be tricky put not too powerful and at that Lvl Death armor and Web wouldn't last very long so they only hold us back for a short duration allowing him to use his Magic Missiles and Ray's (which is what i'd do if i was him), we could beef up the Goblin's throughout the Prelude but only a little as they very much out number us.

What specific changes would you make to the Prelude?

edited February 2018
    Considering that you don't get enough Experience to hit level 3 with or without Pavel, I always take him unless I'm evil.

I actually started a rework of the Prelude a while back but didn't get much farther than making variants for the mobs and of Pavel. My current stats for him were as follows:

Mysterious Mage
    Wizard 3
    HP: 21 (12+6 (Con)+3 (Toughness))
    AB: 3 (1 BAB + 2 Str)
    AC: 11 (10 +1 Dex)

Str 14
    Dex 12
    Con 14
    Int 15
    Wis 12
    Cha 10

Fort: 3
    Ref: 2
    Will: 4

Feats: Toughness, Combat Casting, Spell Penetration

Spells: Ray of Frost x4, Mage Armor x1, Magic Missile x1, Sleep x1, Gedlee's x1, Ghostly Visage x1

Personally, I feel giving him Death Armor would be a mistake. Death Armor is a powerful spell at that level, as hitting him will be dealing 1d6 back to you. I'm not sure if Sleep would also be a mistake, as its basically Save or Death at this level (with the chance of it actually being incredibly beneficial to you if he put all his minions to sleep). I gave him Mage Armor and Ghostly Visage because he always seemed to resort to melee attacks and do a decent enough job of doing it, which also is why I gave him decent physical stats at the cost of his intelligence. I felt that I would rework his fight to have more minions as well.

As for other enemies, specifically the goblins, I had a field day. The "tough goblins" are 1st level goblins with 17 HP instead of the weak goblins meager 1. I changed the tough goblin to a 2nd level fighter with 13 hp and weak goblins to 1st level humanoids with 5, and gave them both the PnP "standard array" of stats. (13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8 put in each stat of your choice and taking the PnP goblin racial modifiers into account). I don't remember what I disliked about the goblin elite in the final room specifically, but I made him a 3rd level barbarian using the "elite array" of stats (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 spread as seen fit, again attempting to mimic goblin racial modifiers).

As for the prelude as a whole, I think it should be longer and more interesting. You can currently beat it in less than 10 minutes and you won't miss any story information if you skip it, just some EXP and Money. Maybe there could be more to do before the attack, not exactly tutorials but having actual story. Having extra henchman alongside Pavel (a rogue or cleric, perhaps?), who also doesn't stick around after the end would be nice too, and ofc we'd switch over to the HotU henchmen system.
    Post edited by DerpCity on
    I was thinking Death Armor only works if you hit him in melee so all we have to do is start with ranged and wait for it to run out, I first thought Ghostly Visage but it comes with "The caster is surrounded by a ghostly nimbus of light that grants damage reduction 5/+1, prevents all spells of level 1 or lower from affecting the caster, and grants 10% concealment" so I was worried it would prevent us from fighting him as the spell lasts for 60s per Lvl but death armor lasts 6s per Lvl.

Yeah we could use a Cleric, Pavel could be Cleric to help keep us fighting, maybe we could rescue someone and they ask to follow us.

For XP I found that after Aribeth's room I run for the guy who gives you a Lvl up than at Lvl 2 all the enemies give more XP for some reason and I back track.

If it was longer maybe we should be able to get 1 Lvl up by doing some proper training, after the attack begins we can rescue people for bonus XP.
  • OfficerDonNZOfficerDonNZ Member Posts: 5
    I seem to recall that once when I was poking about in the toolset and looking at the conversations you could have with Enserric the longsword he hinted that he might have a daughter living in Waterdeep, it's a shame we could never do anything with that. It's almost as if it were a cut quest. :) Bringing Enserrric some from of closure would have been nice.
    Yeah there was an implied quest for him but nothing happened there :'( .
    What about changes to Chapter 1 starting with the Prison District the Mini Bosses are pretty crap they have high HP (as they should) and either just run up and hit you or spam Fireball, give me variations and this is a Prison....there should be a couple of dangerous characters there and Sorcerers have lame spellbooks.
    There's many spells to choose from (Fireball is a great spell) but do they all have to be the same?
    In Lvl 2 spells they could have "Gedlee's Electric Loop" does good damage and has a chance to stun the target, and Lvl 3 spells there is many to choose form "Lightning Bolt, Mestil's Acid Breath, Negative Energy Burst, Scintillating Sphere, Vampiric Touch", variations in enemies keeps us on our toes (Negative Energy Burst is very annoying), in higher levels past 10 Flame Arrow gets good (Single Target only) level 12 16 20 it's 3 arrows than 4 than 5 each arrow doing 4d6 damage.

What about the other Gang Leaders one could be surrounded with traps and uses a Bow, and one stays in stealth until someone enters the room than it's Shiv time, Maybe one could be an Evil Cleric (there's not enough Clerics in the game).

They could add some support enemies like Bards, looking over the Bard spell list they have all the lesser heal spells and Healing Circle, Silence, Haste, and later get Ice Storm, Mass Haste so in later levels they could really support the enemies.

I'm not sure about changing the Final Boss in the Prison, i really don't know anything about those creatures any suggestions?
  • MaloneyMaloney Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2018
    I'd love a new expansion. I'm not a "module" guy, I'm an "Adventure Path" guy. Keep making me full length adventures and I will buy them.

I mean, I'll play free full-length adventures too, but full length adventures are the big appeal to me.

That said, I would love to have the original modules updated to include current-gameplay features like companion advancement and inventory management, and I would also love to see them autoscale by party size for up to 8 player multiplayer.
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    Is the vote closed? Or maybe I voted already and forgot. =)

Anyway, I would really like it if they would set their sights on brand new future content rather than spending time altering stuff we have already played through.

I don't think anything will make me want to replay any of the original campaigns. But I'm really drooling for something new and unknown with fancy new visuals.
  • shredstallionshredstallion Member Posts: 21
    If you all YouTube some of the work people have done with the NWNEE toolset, I don't think anybody would mind revisiting some of the OC. The character models are still hard to look at though, especially with the Lego Man looking weapons.
  • ArcmystArcmyst Member Posts: 3
    One of the difficulties OC to HOTU had was it was a continuation the writers did not expect. Adding content to OC that is carried over to HOTU has the potential to make that transition much smoother and fit better. So what I am advocating for is new OC content would be carried over to HOTU and help make that transition better from a story telling point of veiw.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    FULL.

PARTY.

CONTROL.

That's all I want for NWNEE.