Skip to content

Just can't enjoy Siege

Comments

• Wandering_RangerWandering_Ranger Member Posts: 175
    In any case, whether it was a few months or a year is not relevant since we are talking about a "gap" of events more so than time. Something as significant as Siege is ridiculous to have happened between the two games, especially since it doesn't fit in with the rest of the story and is never mentioned again. It should have been a standalone game.

That's why it felt so awkward for many, and why feelings like the OP's arise.
    Quartzsarevok57Baptor
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    1) One game ends, and then you wake up a year later in a far-away city, imprisoned by someone you've never even heard of before. There's a gap.
    2) Lots of important stuff happens and then never gets mentioned again, including everything in Tales of the Sword Coast.
    RaduzielThacoBellGrumAedan
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Further to the above.

I've always "headcannoned" that BG starts in the spring and takes place from then and over the following summer. Autumn you defeat Sarevok. Irenicus captures you after midwinter, escape in the spring ready to go through BG2.

That fits with the scenery and makes sense logistically. Traipsing all over the place through the snow would probably mean nobody actually has to kill you, your party just dies in a blizzard in the Cloudpeaks.
    tbone1QuartzBaptor
    Yup, as MouseMagic just definitively proved, it definitely wasn't a year between the end of BG1 and the start of BG2. Thus, at best, there is a few month's gap, and those few months could have been spent relaxing and enjoying the earned wealth until the capture by Irenicus. Or they could have been spent involved in an apocalyptic showdown that never gets mentioned again.
    sarevok57Baptor
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Correct, you could have an adventure or not have an adventure. The choice is truly yours.
    ThacoBell[Deleted User]Baptor
    You could also have an adventure that makes sense, or one that doesn't.
    Baptor
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
    Only in the scope of a standalone game. As an imaginary bridge between the two games... Nah.
    Baptor
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    You can certainly pick holes in the underlying logic in SoD, but given that they were trying to bridge the chasm between BG1 and BG2 I think it was a creditable attempt.

Where I think they went wrong a bit was to overdo the attempt to make it a standalone game rather than part of a series. The whole sequence after the death of Belhifet seems contrived to me and could have been far better covered as part of a 20 second cut-scene. That would have been the equivalent of the cut-scene for the death of Sarevok at the end of BG1. Instead the guiding idea seems to have been that they should be using the same approach as at the end of ToB - but this time should do it bigger and better. ToB though is the end of the series and therefore the approach makes sense there - it doesn't to me in SoD.
    StummvonBordwehrQuartz

Only in the scope of a standalone game. As an imaginary bridge between the two games... Nah.

People can disagree. Not everyone has to share your opinion.

If you like it, play it and enjoy it. If you don't, skip it and go on to Shadows of Amn.
    You're right about that, but it isn't just my opinion. Others have said the same. A good company listens to feedback and improves for their future releases.

Not everyone has to share your opinions either, and I notice quite a few of you saying it is good without any backing, while people like MouseMagic and others share their opinions WITH credible backing.

Whether you liked it or not is not in question here. Whether it makes sense or not and fits the theme of the other two games is. And it doesn't. See above posts for why.
    sarevok57Baptor
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Wandering_RangerUnderstandMouseMagicQuartzElendar
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited February 2018
    tbone1 said:

If you like it, play it and enjoy it. If you don't, skip it and go on to Shadows of Amn.
    Wait, are mature and reasonable comments like this allowed on the internet?

Edit: Apparently my reply does not sounds well in English as it does em Portuguese.

Sorry.
    Post edited by Raduziel on
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Raduziel said:

tbone1 said:

Wait, are mature and reasonable comments like this allowed on the internet?

No. The Troll Patrol have been notified.
    Unecessary.
    ThacoBell
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited February 2018
    @UnderstandMouseMagic Didn't mean to offend, this is a joke from another forum.

My bad. The post was edited.
    Quartz
    Raduziel said:

@UnderstandMouseMagic Didn't mean to offend, this is a joke from another forum.

My bad. The post was edited.

No problem. :)

It's hard to get tone on the net. The smilies here are quite restricted and I don't understand at least half of them.
    :* what is this for instance?
    RaduzielThacoBellQuartz
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

:* what is this for instance?

Kissing. Type :_kissing_: without the underscores and you'll see.
  • kaoskaos Member Posts: 3
    I’m on my third playing of SOD and it’s grown on me each time.
    Great job Beamdog!!
    elminsterJuliusBorisovRaduzielThacoBell
  • lnstructor_lnstructor_ Member Posts: 76
    I feel you. By the time I reached the walls to the final castle I just gave up, and didn't bother with the last chapter (or two chapters). There were parts in Siege I have enjoyed, the same parts I enjoyed in all the other BG games, mostly mini quests.
    Baptor
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    ThacoBell said:

@Wandering_Ranger "Whether you liked it or not is not in question here. Whether it makes sense or not and fits the theme of the other two games is. And it doesn't. See above posts for why. "

I see a lot of opinion, which is fair. But touting your opinion as objective fact is pretty laughable.

Except I never did, did I? Nice strawman, troll.
    MERLANCE