Skip to content

[(BG1) BUG] Ranger "Racial Enemy" effect not effective

BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
edited August 2012 in Fixed
OBSERVED:
When testing whether or not racial enemy bonuses are being implemented, I got these stats from a ranger with Ogre as Racial Enemy:

vs Cat: +15 (+9 on half-attack)
vs Mouse: +15 (+9 on half-attack)
vs Gibberling: +11 (+8 on half-attack)
vs Xvart: +11 (+9 on half-attack)
vs Ogre: +11 (+7 on half-attack)

From a ranger with Gibberling as Racial Enemy:

vs Cat: +15 (+9 on half-attack)
vs Mouse: +15 (+9 on half-attack)
vs Gibberling: +11 (+8 on half-attack)
vs Xvart: +11 (+9 on half-attack)
vs Ogre: +11 (+7 on half-attack)

Mind you, I used rangers which both had STR 16 and Drizzt's +5 scimitar, so it should have been the equivalent, though other attribute scores varied somewhat.

EXPECTED:
The ranger +4 attack roll vs Racial enemy.

Plus, why no xvart Racial Enemy? What if my ranger hates them? We hates the xvartses... Hates them... forever!!!

NOTES:
This also doesn't entirely accounts for intermittent seemingly incongruous scores which appear to occur at the high end of all attack rolls in order to display a consistent max roll. The values above are from attack bonuses shown when rolling a 14 or lower. Further testing would confirm the accuracy of the 1/2 attack roll. The important thing to note is only that there is no discernible Racial Enemy attack bonus for rangers.
Post edited by Bhryaen on
IgneousTanthalas

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    My testing produced similar results:

In BGEE using two Rangers with the same stats (13 Strength, no proficiency in Club) against a CLUAConsole Gibberling in Candlekeep:

- Ranger 1 had Gibberlings as a racial enemy and consistently received a +4 on attack rolls (with the exception of when reaching the attack roll cap).
    - Ranger 2 had Kobolds as a racial enemy and consistently received a +4 on attack rolls (with the exception of when reaching the attack roll cap).

I can confirm that the Racial Enemy definitely worked in BG2.

Two Rangers with the same stats (13 Strength, no proficiency in Short Sword) against the first Mephit in BG2:

- Ranger 1 had Mephits as a racial enemy and consistently received a +8 on attack rolls (with the exception of when reaching the attack roll cap).
    - Ranger 2 had Beholders as a racial enemy and consistently received a +4 on attack rolls (with the exception of when reaching the attack roll cap).
    BhryaenIgneous
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    The bonuses are being applied properly... but the races are not. >_>

Everyone seems to have their race set to 1 rather than the proper IDS.

This could be fun to fix....
    AndreaColomboCuv
    Oh, its true that I didn't test all the races. Gibberlings and Kobolds seemed weak and squishy enough for me to test with a level 1 Ranger.
    edited July 2012
    I don't think it would have mattered if you tested further. Shank is sharing a race with a gibberling so they're probably both near relatives to dragons as well atm

[EDIT] Potentially fixed - A number of creature files have been modified so that their race is no longer set to human

@Bhryaen - Also, Xvarts are all set to be Kobolds (if it's wrong I didn't do it!), so next time you make a ranger they won't know what hit em!
    Post edited by SethDavis on
    @Tanthalas - I'm going through the creature files and fixing the racec setting, but I'm seeing some weirdness with the alignments as well. Should skeletons all be True Neutral?
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    @SethDavis - according to the AD&D Monstrous Manual, Skeletons are True Neutral, and Skeleton Warriors are Neutral Evil.
    @AndreaColombo - Ah, thank you. Glad I didn't change them then.
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    @AndreaColombo
    Odd that. When I once did a Detect Evil with summoned skeletons they turned up evil... but then again that was a BGT game.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    @Bhryaen - there were several alignment mismatches in both vanilla games, most likely resulting from oversights on BioWare's part 'cause I really see no reason to house-rule creatures' alignment, and mod components were developed specifically to fix them :-)
    @AndreaColombo
    Yes, and I always found it odd anyway that a LG Cleric of Lathander could so regularly win the approval of a Good diety to summon Chaotic Evil Skeletons... That they're now True Neutral is a relief...
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    Skeletons are still unholy. They are just TN because they are absolutely brainless. Zombies are TN in PnP as well.
    @SethDavis

Did the races fix make it to Build 0709? I'm still not getting the Racial Enemy bonuses
    @Tanthalas - I don't believe that they did. Gibberlings seem to still be human. :(
    @SethDavis

Ah ok, confirmed not fixed but hopefully the stuff you did makes it for the next build. >.<
    SethDavis
    Well, I tested this for Gibberlings and Kobolds and it works.

Does anyone have an easy way of testing if this works for every enemy type? >.<
    @Tanthalas
    Even if there were, I'll be doing a thorough testing if you don't. ;-)
    @Bhryaen

Oh, test ahead then. >_>;
    @Tanthalas
    What @SethDavis said on July 10 about gibberlings is wrong now thankfully: there's an @Igneous thread I confirmed fixed last night regarding them having been fixed to gibberling status now. I'll check the rest in a bit...
    @Bhryaen

Did you check this one already or still on the backburner?

If I had a list of creature codes to spawn them I could test them all.
    @Tanthalas
    Definitely test them. I started to and got sidetracked... several times...
    @Bhryaen

I meant that I'd test them if I had a list of codes to spawn the creatures.
    @Tanthalas
    Oh... and given @Balquo's Creature Corrections (since numerous creatures had the incorrect race assigned to them) this should hold even though there are obviously many different versions of creatures like Ogres, Kobolds, Gibberlings, etc.

Ignore the ".cre" and just add the name itself to CreateCreature("XVART").

CARRIO.CRE (Carrion Crawler)
    ETTERC.CRE (Ettercap)
    GHOUL.CRE
    GIBBER.CRE (Gibberling)
    GNOLL.CRE
    GERG.CRE (just kidding) HOBGOB.CRE
    KOBOLD.CRE
    OGRE.CRE
    SKELET.CRE
    SPIDGI.CRE

I'll test a different group. Actually Xvarts should get the same attack bonus as Kobolds at the moment...
    @Bhryaen
    I thought there was going to be a big list with every possible type of Gnoll and stuff like that.
    @Bhryaen

Though now that I think about it, as long as their race is set correctly, it shouldn't matter. I'll test that list.
    edited August 2012
    Confirmed Fixed in Build 0803

- Checked if all racial enemies gave a bonus of +4 to hit.
    - Checked that the +4 only applied when fighting your racial enemy.
    edited August 2012
    @Tanthalas
    Don't worry- I've been checking every CRE type as I go to make sure they've got the right Race designation. The issue there would be in the CREs not being assigned correct races rather than a failure of the Ranger Enemy bonus to work, but they've already been addressed elsewhere thankfully. (A much longer list...)

Confirmed (Not?) Fixed:
    I'm guessing that Gergs have struck again... but maybe it's nothing...

OK, I tested with STR 15, DEX 15 (i.e., no melee or missile THAC0 adj) 1st lvl Elf Rangers using SW1H04, BOW05 (modified only to give extra attacks per round), 1 proficiency pt in both Long Sword and Short Bow:
    Tested vs     Attack Bonus        Attack Bonus
    hated CRE vs hated CRE vs other CRE
    Longsword, Longbow Longsword, Longbow

CARRIO.CRE +5, +5 +1, -3 v SPIDSW.CRE
    +1, +3 v HOBGOB.CRE
    +1, +1 v XVART.CRE
    ETTERC1.CRE +5, +5 +1, +1 v XVART.CRE
    GHAST.CRE +5, +5 +1, +1 v ETTERC1.CRE
    GIBBERSU.CRE +5, +5 +1, +1 v GHAST.CRE
    GNOLLSU.CRE +5, +5 +1, +1 v GIBBERSU.CRE
    HAKT.CRE +9(5), +7 +1, +1 v GIBBERSU.CRE
    MALKAX.CRE +9(5), +7 +1, +1 v FLIND.CRE
    HOBGOBSU.CRE +9(5), +7
    KOBCOMM.CRE +5, +5 +5, +1 v HOBGOBSU.CRE
    +1, +1 v FLIND.CRE
    GNARL.CRE +5, +5 +1, +1 v FLIND.CRE
    SKELWA.CRE +5, +5 +1, +1 v OGRE.CRE
    SPIDSW.CRE +5, +1 +1, +1 v SKELWA.CRE
    SPIDPH.CRE +5, +3 -1, +0 v CATTAC.CRE
    +5, +1 v HOBGOBSU.CRE
    The only CREs that gave an unpredicted behavior were the spiders and gergs. The specific spiders I tested may have some extra defense built into them that affects the attacker's roll... maybe... But the hobgobs were all over the place as well as turned up mixed results for the same gerg-hating ranger on melee rolls. As you can see I also couldn't use Hobgobs as a test case because they give odd results, though I was using named Hobgobs mostly, and they may be given their own special defenses. Still, not sure why a ranger with no gerg-hate was still getting +4 AB v HOBGOBSU.CRE.

NOTE:
    Any time I encountered unpredicted behavior I retested to make sure it wasn't just me...
    edited August 2012
    @Bhryaen

Why do you get +5 against every hated enemy (for the most part)?
    @Tanthalas
    I think it's because I was using an elf- which is why I mentioned that at the start. (+1 longsword/ shortsword, +1 longbow/ shortbow?) I made a half-elf at one point and suddenly it was +4 for the hated enemy, +0 otherwise... I'd already done enough elf tests though that I just stayed with that the rest of the way.
    @Bhryaen

What does the number between (number) means?
    @Tanthalas
    Those were the mixed results I mentioned- at times it would be a +9, other times a +5. I really don't know whether that's a bug or not though. It's possible that those Hobgobs just give the attacker a +4 AB already... but it looks bad, so I mentioned it. I didn't actually try the baseline hobgob.CRE like I'd mentioned to you- was trying to see if it applied ok to others sharing the same race designation.