Skip to content

Effective Module Building Lessons?

Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
So, I discovered to my horror that my module building skills are non-existent.
"tilesets? How hard can it be after some oblivion area building?!"

It can be hard. I find that I have no idea how to actually make use of tile numbers, and the tilesets, in addition to looking dreadful, appear extremely unhelpful.
JuliusBorisovDerpCity

Comments

• WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited February 2018
    I never found a good tileset making tutorial, but ive found one can easily get better at the design through trial and error or getting creative with placeables(or just using a better tileset). For general scripting, however, there are a wealth of tutorials and helpful community members to turn to.
    Dark_Ansem
  • sandronejmsandronejm Member Posts: 70
    Oh my God, how hard is to learn using the toolset. This is a hard thing. Worth? Yes, because it is nice to play. But I am not sure about NWN EE future. I think the concept of nwn is old for call the eyes of the people, becasue the currently way of the people playing games (and buying games) for computer is very different.

I like nintendo switch concept: it is not 1080p, but it is 720p. All games 1080p spend too much money with images, not all Desktops are able to play it and that money would be better spending in game mechanic

WhiteTiger

___

Have you ever played my fan module? Click here: Amnesia Chapter I
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    edited February 2018

I'm a bit confused here. Are you asking for instructions on building modules or creating tilesets? If it is for modules then the 2 essential ebooks are "The Toolset Manual" and "The Design Manual" both by the long defunct "The Builders Project" guild. You might also find the ancient Bioware ebooks that I collected together and placed on the vault to be of use. Finally, there is the large collection of ebooks that Carcerian gathered together to be of use.

TR

I had a look at tileset making but I think it's way beyond my league, at least for the time being. Thanks for the links.
    EDIT: unless, of course, new tilesets improve on this.
    Post edited by Dark_Ansem on
  • thirdmousethirdmouse Member Posts: 67
    edited February 2018
    For tileset building, you might find any of these helpful: There's probably more that I haven't mentioned in the Tutorials section, or under the NWN University entry, and advanced topics that have been discussed in the past (eg old Bioware forums) could be searched with the Omnibus, but this was not intended to tell you you need ALL of these things, or even ANY of these things, only point out some directions that might help get you started. Often once you've gone through a basic tutorial, you're off the ground enough to start your own experiments :)

(It's also worth mentioning that the internet is full of 3d modeling tutorials for different software that can also be helpful to get that aspect of it going.)

(Edit - I probably misread your response to TR, as I had also been unclear on if we were talking about modules, areas, or tilesets, but I figured maybe still helpful to someone :P There's also a section for prefab areas on the vault, for importing into your own modules, which can be helpful to see how things are set up.)
    TarotRedhandDark_AnsemJuliusBorisovsquattingmonk
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    Thank you for your exhaustive answer.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Well whichever path you're taking, just remember there are still enough people around willing and able to help.

TR