Skip to content

Is anyone else having EE crash on them when loading different areas even in official campaigns

basically the title is the question I have been running into this problem over and over again where I will be playing then it tries to move to new areas or specific ones (For example I could not enter the main house in SoU in chapter one via teleport but if I walked all the way back to the city I could for whatever reason) and the whole game crashes. Really quiet bothersome. I have submitted a ticket but I was just wondering if other Mac user's out there were having similar issues. I think its related to my graphics card because the error is error: 0xfffffffb and says a whole bunch of weird mumbo jumbo I dont understand underneath the error message I think they are logs but again not super tech savvy when it comes to this kind of stuff.
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• ShaidenShaiden Member Posts: 181
    Hi there!

I'm sorry to hear you're having troubles with the game. I haven't seen these issues while testing on Mac myself, but if possible, could you post the bug you filed to our Redmine? I'll likely find it eventually, but I can try to take a quick glance in the meantime.

Have you tried disabling all the advanced frame buffer effects? What resolution / hardware are you currently playing on? Are you playing the game with any mods at the moment?

Thanks!
    JuliusBorisov
  • drdeacondrdeacon Member Posts: 20
    edited February 2018
    @Shaiden I have posted it on the redmine at this address https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/35441
    I have tried disabling all the advanced fillers/framing effects and running it at the lowest settings I have the most recent CEP (2.63) installed, a few portrait packs (Which my character is using as his face right now) and some other modules/their required mods (Like sands of fate and the gods themselves)
    As for hardware I am MacBook pro 15' mid 2014, 2.2 ghz intel core i7, 16gb1600mhz ddr3, Intel Iris pro 1536mb running version 10.13.3 high seirra
    edited February 2018
    I have just removed all mods from my game Hopefully this will change things but who knows. I will tell you what occurs forthwith.....And the answer is that it still crashes the current location it crashes is transitioning into the SoU temple of Ao in the desert when you first arrive in that section. Also I have tried playing my copy of NWN2 and have no issues whatsoever ever with area transitions or graphics same with the other games on my computer it seems to only be NWN1 and I played things like Wasteland 2 and Shadow of mordor on higher graphic levels and while I had some drop in FPS on max graphics It didnt crash my games.
    @Shaiden Anything else info wise you need to fix this issue.
    @Shaiden I would like an update if possible were you able to find the link I sent and offer any other advice to fix this game. I really would like to love NWN EE but this bug is killing the game for me.
    Hi there @drdeacon

Apologies for the delay, it's been exceedingly busy around here.

Here's a few things we might try.

1) Can you try running the game directly from the .app, rather than through the Beamdog client?
    2) Are you able to start a new SoU game, and does the game crash when you are in the building?
    3) Saying all that, if you step out of the building, then immediately back in, does it crash?
    4) Since you've pre-ordered, I believe that you would have received a Steam key. By chance, have you attempted to use the version of the game from there?
    5) have you seen this crash on any other area in NWN? I'm curious as to if there are commonalities between modules, or if there is some specific resource in that map that may be causing problems

I'll see if I can think up anything else in the meantime.
    JuliusBorisov
    @Shaiden
    1) Can you try running the game directly from the .app, rather than through the Beamdog client?
    A.I have indeed tried this and had the same issue
    2) Are you able to start a new SoU game, and does the game crash when you are in the building?
    A.I can start a new game and the crash doesnt always occur on the house but it does occur in other buildings/areas/modules
    3) Saying all that, if you step out of the building, then immediately back in, does it crash?
    A. sometimes.
    4) Since you've pre-ordered, I believe that you would have received a Steam key. By chance, have you attempted to use the version of the game from there?
    A. yes i have tried to load that game from steam and it has the same issues. for example I started a new OC and it crashed after meeting Aribeth and trying to leave that room you first meet her in.
    5) have you seen this crash on any other area in NWN? I'm curious as to if there are commonalities between modules, or if there is some specific resource in that map that may be causing problems
    A. As stated above yes it appears to happen on all modules at one point or another for HOTU it occurred when I first went into the bar downstairs. For Kingmaker it occurred after the large battle at the beginning of the game and so on. I beleive it probably has something to do with the graphics/placeable objects or a particular scripted graphic but I can't be 100% sure
    Looking online similar errors occurred in the not to distant past for other games like sim city and League of legends and mac users when the OS was updated. It has something to do with the graphics cards not playing nice with certain types of code or other such (Again not a coder/computerscience person) but it seems that might be what is occurring here. However, Many of my other games pillars of eternity, KOTOR, XCOM 2 Witcher all seem to run fine and not have this issue with crashing due to a graphics error so It makes me think it has to be something within the code of NWN itself. Hope that helps please let me know if there is anything else I can do to figure this stuff out. Hopefully the redmine reports I sent that is linked above can also shed some light on this issue.
    edited February 2018
    Hmmmm Have you tried updating all of your drivers? Installing Open AL / OpenGL updates? (This is a bit of a "Throw everything at the wall" maneuver.)

I've tossed your bug over to a programmer, though I don't know when he'll be able to respond. I'll try to keep you apprised of anything we find.

If I'm unable to get you a response in reasonable time, I highly suggest consulting with the community on these forums or one of the many Discord servers. They might have a work-around that I haven't thought of yet.
    JuliusBorisov
    yes all systems are uptodate for my drivers.
    Hey there @drdeacon ,

A user in our redmine was able to resolve a potentially unrelated crash by re-installing, removing compatibility mode & running from the .exe as the administrator.

Could you try that and see if it helps at all?
    JuliusBorisov
    how do I remove compatibility mode I just uninstalled and reinstalled the game is it in a special folder?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Compatibility mode on/off is something set when you define properties of the .exe when you right-click it.
    @JuliusBorisov okay I've never run .exe and changed properties before can you give me some more info on how to do all this?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    As per @Shaiden 's advice above - run the .exe you find in your game folder as the administrator (right click the .exe - Rud as Administrator).
    i do that and it opens terminal but doesnt have like a thing that says compatibility mode. open game location->bin-> Macros->NWNservermacros which is a .exe file the other thing in that folder is NWN main app which I can show package options when I right click it doesnt have any folders that say compatibilities or .exe that let me run things in terminal. Im on a mac so maybe that makes a difference?
    JuliusBorisov
    Ahah, that is absolutely my mistake, I'm afraid I was so excited at finding a potential fix that I'd forgotten you were currently running on Mac.

I will continue to follow up on this, my apologies.
    JuliusBorisov
  • BurzzBurzz Member Posts: 2
    I've been having this issue as well, starting from when I first installed NWN:EE back in the beginning of February. I figured it might be a known issue, so thus far I hadn't posted about it, just been checking back periodically. I'm also running on a mac with OSX High Sierra 10.13.3, all drivers updated, mid 2015-MacBook Pro. It seems to happen almost every time with certain area transitions (such as one of the rooms in the Sanitorium in the OC, and just like the OP, when teleporting back to the main house in SoU) and only rarely with other area transitions. I've taken to performing a quick save immediately before using any area transition, and have noticed that if I load the quick save and simply try to proceed to the area transition it triggers a crash but if I walk through the area transition manually first and then click on it, or otherwise perform some kind of movement, it seems to sometimes allow me to proceed without crashing.

Wish I had more info to provide, let me know if there's anything at all I can do to help!
    JuliusBorisov
    @Burzz glad to see I am not the only one with these issues I will try your method and see if it gets me through the "Crash zones" that I have been having I will post later tonight/tomorrow if it works.
  • BurzzBurzz Member Posts: 2
    After more time playing and dealing with this issue, i'm beginning to think my theory about moving around a bit before attempting to use a transition was incorrect; or more accurately, the behavior I was seeing was coincidence. Standing still for a few seconds before trying the transition 'seems' to give the same results, but even then, I'm not convinced this is also just coincidence. Luckily, the game boots up pretty quick, so as long as you quick save immediately in front of each area transition, rebooting the game, loading your save and trying again only takes 10 seconds or so. Sometimes it works for me after 2 or 3 tries, sometimes it takes 10 or more tries, but so far I haven't been in a situation where I couldn't progress.
    Yes I have noticed the same thing in that if I try multiple times I can sometimes move to the next area but its almost constantly that on changing areas it crashes which is bothersome to say the least.
    @Shaiden any update on patches for this issue?
    There's still an ongoing effort to try to debug what's going on, as this may be directly related to the Intel crashes we've been running into recently.

One *potential* work around that I've heard of, is if you go into your nwn.ini file, make sure of the following entry.

[Video Options]
    AntiAliasing Mode=0
    JuliusBorisovtbone1
  • bsly137bsly137 Member Posts: 6
    Shaiden said:

There's still an ongoing effort to try to debug what's going on, as this may be directly related to the Intel crashes we've been running into recently.

One *potential* work around that I've heard of, is if you go into your nwn.ini file, make sure of the following entry.

[Video Options]
    AntiAliasing Mode=0

Had this been confirmed to work for intel onboard graphics?
    bsly137 said:

Had this been confirmed to work for intel onboard graphics?

It is not the fix we're investigating, but rather some Mac users have mentioned that it made a difference in their specific instance of the crash that had similar symptoms to the Intel crashes.
    JuliusBorisovtbone1
  • LytharwolfeLytharwolfe Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2018
    I'm having almost this same exact issue on my MacBook Air, but I'm running the game through Steam. There shouldn't be any difference in how to fix the issue for Steam from what you've already stated, correct?

For reference, my issue is that, moving from the Prelude to Chapter One, the game crashes instantly, no mods active, nothing added to the game, just the base Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition files.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

I'm having almost this same exact issue on my MacBook Air, but I'm running the game through Steam. There shouldn't be any difference in how to fix the issue for Steam from what you've already stated, correct?

For reference, my issue is that, moving from the Prelude to Chapter One, the game crashes instantly, no mods active, nothing added to the game, just the base Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition files.

Same here. I submitted a Redmine ticket with the game right before the crash AND copied over the text from the crash report that the OS offered to send to Apple.
    JuliusBorisov
  • killerguitar386killerguitar386 Member Posts: 1
    Same problem for me as well. Game crashing when loading different areas. If it hasn't been mentioned yet, I am able to play on an online server with no issues at all, whatsoever. No crashes. All the crashes occur on the campaign.
    same here guys I feel like this is something they should have addressed by now since its been almost 3 months since it was first posted here by me and probably even longer by other members posts. @Shaiden I hope the team is focusing on this issue and we get a resolution soon since it is a major bug compared to most of the other patches/fixes that they have put out so far.
    @drdeacon

The crashing issues are being worked on by combined energies of the Beamdog team and Intel engineers.
  • HorriganHorrigan Member Posts: 6
    I see the last message on this is from May.
    Taking your time fixing this eh? Or has this been given up on?