Skip to content

Path of the exile - Free to play

2»

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I've learned the hard way that I'm a sucker for overpriced microtransactions, so I need to stay away from this game. I dropped $85 on silly stuff like glowing swords, cloaks, a cat, and halos last month.

I played a templar and wound up taking the path of intellect and maxing out frost pulse. He blew away everything in Acts 1-5, and then in Acts 7 and 8, he started not being able to handle the boss fights. I got kind of a bad taste in my mouth over that, which was worsened by feeling like I wasted money I couldn't afford. So I'm pretty sure I'll be skipping this new season entirely.
    Skatan
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited February 2018
    I quit playing Path of Exile after having finished Act 5. It was disheartening to find myself back on the beach near Lioneye's Watch where the game started, much more powerful, but falling time and time again to the regular critters that occupy the beach in Act 6.

The same happened to me in Titan Quest's Immortal Throne: first you defeat the archboss at the end of the main game, only to fall before ordinary critters like crabs that hit real hard in the expansion. Instead of feeling like a hero who conquers all, you're even more likely to fall to the enemies than in the beginning of the game, both in Titan Quest's expansion and in Act 6 of Path of Exile.

Also fatigue sits in. It's been a long path from being shipwrecked on the beach of Wraeclast to defeating a God on top of Oriath's cathedral. After such a long path being only halfway the game, since the expansion Fall of Oriath added 6 acts to the original 4, is disheartening as well.

I'll move on to other games, but thanks for the invite, it's a nice gesture of you @Skatan.
    SkatanBelgarathMTH
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    @SethDavis Okidoki mate.

@BelgarathMTH; It saddens me to hear that. I'm your direct opposite, I don't invest a dime on any such games until I've played for a long time and are invested enough to know I will keep on playing. To my knowledge, the game is playable without any investments although buying inventory tabs might be recommended. The other good thing about the game is that you can quite easily/cheaply re-spec all your points on a character so that the time you invested in leveling it has not been in vain. You get quite alot of free respec points, as you probably already know, and my character got a full free respec when the last league ended and he was moved to the standard.

@Son_of_Imoen; I hear ya, but I think we have a very different view on this game. Personally I started playing very late, on 3.1 or whatever it is called so I think all chapters already existed. But I have no idea since I haven't read a single journal entry, dialogue or anything. I have zero idea of what my character is, why its there or what the hell wraeclast is, nor the god on the roof. I just run towards the quest markers and level my char, so for me it didn't matter that my char apparently killed a god in one act and then faced stronger critters in the next since I couldn't care less what enemies I am up against, I only care about character/item progression and the hunt for more exp and items.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited March 2018
    The game requires no investment at all, though a stash tab that can be set to public is recommended for trading. This is a very minimal investment for a 10-Act ARPG. The very nature of the genre is repetition, and Path of Exile does more to alleviate that than most in the genre. The only gripe I have with the game is the limited-time nature of the Leagues, as when they end, getting items exclusive to those leagues requires an obtuse end-game map modifier system. I am not a fan of limited-time content in any game, which is why on balance I prefer Grim Dawn as a single-player experience. But Path of Exile remains the gold-standard of every free-to-play game that has EVER been released.
    Skatan
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Anyone planning to play in Delirium?
    Skatan
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Anyone planning to play in Delirium?

I typically don't play leagues because I don't much care for limited-time content. When/if they decide to roll a league mechanic into standard is when I deal with it. The major problem I have with Path of Exile at this point is that we now have nearly a dozen systems piled on top of one another, and it's starting to remind me of the currency tab in World of Warcraft, where there are probably nearly a 100 different resources for obtaining things over the course of 7 expansions. Now they're adding gems that split and expand even more an already byzantine skill tree. At a certain point, it's too much
    BelleSorciereSkatan
    I don't really have an issue with this. All of the currency has some crafting function and only a few are used to actually trade. We'll see what happens with builds in Delirium, but at league start at least most builds are going to be based on the existing tree.

I played through Metamorph, which was probably some of the most fun I've ever had in Path of Exile. Betrayal and Delve are fun, and the occasional Blight event in a map was nice.

Metamorph was nice in that it actually added a new way to get a lot of league-specific items.

I've never done anything with the atlas prior to Metamorph, so I can't comment on that aspect.
    jjstraka34Skatan
    edited March 2020
    Although I do have to report that multiple skills (mostly blinks and defensive skills) have cooldowns - usually shared cooldowns, some have lockouts while the skill is active after which a cooldown begins, and Vaal skills lock you out of gaining more souls for a period of time after using the Vaal skill itself.
    jjstraka34Skatan
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    I've learned the hard way that I'm a sucker for overpriced microtransactions, so I need to stay away from this game. I dropped $85 on silly stuff like glowing swords, cloaks, a cat, and halos last month.
    I'll draw a part of your character, but each Line afterward will be 5 USD per line.
    @BelgarathMTH
    BelgarathMTH