Skip to content

[BG2:SOA 2.3.67.3] The black market merchants who accept fenced goods shouldn't be stealable

kingnightkingnight Member Posts: 54
edited February 2018 in The 2.5 Update Beta
There are six black market merchants in Athkatla, but only three will accept fenced goods. they are the Black Market Thief in Shadow Guild hall, the Cutpurse near the Derelict House in Bridge district and the Roge the Fence in the center of under sewers of Temple district. Those three black markets not just accept fenced goods, but also can be stolen back. If I have a thief and a couple of Potion of Master Thievery to pile up my pick pocket skill, I be definitely making my money very easily buy just selling/stealing. I don't know whether it's intented or bugs, it shouldn't be this way, because it really make the money worthless, and reduce the motivation of looting.

I think it would be nice to make the black markets once they accept fenced goods, they can never be stolen back, just disable the "Steal" functionality for those merchants, like the Waizahb in the coalition camp of SOD did. I think that would make the game much more "reasonable".
bob_vengZaghoul

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Careful, people have been using that exploit for over a decade. Removing this will make a lot of people upset.
    StummvonBordwehrProont
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    You'd think they'd be a bit surprised if you sold them the same object over and over and over and over...
    ThacoBellProont
  • kingnightkingnight Member Posts: 54
    ThacoBell said:

Careful, people have been using that exploit for over a decade. Removing this will make a lot of people upset.

Really? But this is so obviously a bug, then why should they leave it that way.
    Thels said:

You'd think they'd be a bit surprised if you sold them the same object over and over and over and over...

And it did surprise me, I just couldn't believe why would they tolerate such a obvious fault.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    There's a feature request for this issue: https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/33169
    kingnightbob_veng
    @kingnight Probably more of an oversight than an actual system being broken. But yes, there are many exploits in the Infinity Engine, and players have been using them not just for casual runs, but also challenge runs. Anytime Beamdog removes one, it makes a good chunk of the playerbase angry.
    StummvonBordwehrProont
    @JuliusBorisov Good to know, though there should be two more Black Markets being added to the case, leave it to me.
    ThacoBell said:

Anytime Beamdog removes one, it makes a good chunk of the playerbase angry.

I think not if it's being reasonable. If somebody just needed convenience, there were lots of ways could do so, they didn't have to rely on bugs.
    @kingnight People like to play in certain ways, and your argument works both ways. Nothing in the game MAKES you steal and resell from fences. You could simply not do it if you don't like that exploit. Personally I find that more reasonable than forcing other people to conform to your playstyle.
    AKrugBierGarvin77Proont
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    It would definitely bring the stealing process more in line with the way it works in BG (stealing once from merchants, item is sellable only to fences, and then not able to be stolen again from fences).

I can't remember, was the process ever different in BG1?
    Related Redmine issue has been reported as: https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/35733
    ThacoBell said:

You could simply not do it if you don't like that exploit. Personally I find that more reasonable than forcing other people to conform to your playstyle.

That's what I do, and Only suggestions I do provide, I think it's not my place to decide how the game should be performed.
    Zaghoul said:

It would definitely bring the stealing process more in line with the way it works in BG (stealing once from merchants, item is sellable only to fences, and then not able to be stolen again from fences).

I can't remember, was the process ever different in BG1?

I don't remember either, but I believe it should be like that, it works well by make stealing skill has its usage but always leaves the consequences to the player himself.
    Zaghoul