Skip to content

[obsolete] Big World Setup (BWS): Mod Manager for Baldur's Gate / Enhanced Edition (Trilogy)

Comments

• Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    Vallmyr said:

Question: The Verr'Sza mod for BG:EE/SoD is listed as 2.4 in Big World Setup but is currently on v3.3. Is there a way I can have BWS install the 3.3 version rather than the 2.4 version?

Well, what you could do is this. When BWS is installing the files you could remove Verr'sza from the files directory. BWS will stop when it can't find the file and then you can choose the provide option and point it at 3.3. Can be done earlier if BWS can't download the file too.
  • verlaineverlaine Member Posts: 47
    Mantis37 said:

Vallmyr said:

Question: The Verr'Sza mod for BG:EE/SoD is listed as 2.4 in Big World Setup but is currently on v3.3. Is there a way I can have BWS install the 3.3 version rather than the 2.4 version?

Well, what you could do is this. When BWS is installing the files you could remove Verr'sza from the files directory. BWS will stop when it can't find the file and then you can choose the provide option and point it at 3.3. Can be done earlier if BWS can't download the file too.
    You could also report this to the BWS maintenance topic at Spellhold forum. I don't think BWS people visit beamdog forum to read it here.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    edited February 2018
    There's a thread on Gibberlings 3 for EET as well, that may use the more recent version if you want to install all 4 as one. BWS doesn't really have a full time maintainer these days, the vanilla version doesn't really install at all these days!
    edited February 2018
    Mantis37 said:

There's a thread on Gibberlings 3 for EET as well, that may use the more recent version if you want to install all 4 as one. BWS doesn't really have a full time maintainer these days, the vanilla version doesn't really install at all these days!

Just for info - BWS links to the *latest* download whatever that is. Unless the mod moves to a different download source, there's always the last version used. No idea where @Vallmyr gets his information from. EET list says 2.4 or above, so just excludes lower versions.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Er, this is what I mean when it says 2.4. If it does install the 3.3 version already then rad.

Vallmyr said:

Er, this is what I mean when it says 2.4. If it does install the 3.3 version already then rad.

Sorry, yes, that's indeed misleading. I was looking at what the tool does not what the display has. I'm sure it uses the latest version just the text doesn't update autimatically.
  • KuselKusel Member Posts: 50
    Mantis37 said:

Partly the problem with BWS is that many modders no longer report their updates to the BWS forum.

Maybe not something to say here, but Beamdog forum has done a bad job here by splitting the former community even more.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Kusel said:

Maybe not something to say here, but Beamdog forum has done a bad job here by splitting the former community even more.

You'd rather they have no forum of their own? That there was no place to discuss the EE games specifically, and have discussions that are read by the developers? That would be rather unprofessional of them in this day and age.
    Thels said:

Kusel said:

You'd rather they have no forum of their own? That there was no place to discuss the EE games specifically, and have discussions that are read by the developers? That would be rather unprofessional of them in this day and age.
    This is NOT what I meant.

They are company and have products. So a forum for their products etc is what you have "in this day and age".

What I was aiming at was that they also gathered modders to this industry forum. Those were at home on other sites before and opening a new platform has just divided those communities further.
  • MaanapeMaanape Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2018
    I saw at some point that a BWS installation could be broken into several days if one choose it to. Then when my install skipped some components and sugested I could exit and return later, I did it. But now I can't resume from the point I left before, it keeps telling me I should start a new install. What should I do? Please help me, I could find no information on this matter in any forum or page.
  • BloodstoneBloodstone Member Posts: 99
    Silly question. I bought BGEE and BGEE SoD on the weekend sale this past weekend. I went to download them and the Beamdog client tells me I don't have to download/install my copy of BGEE, that SoD is an expansion and is all that is required.

So does this mean that SoD had BG:EE as part of it already? I'm trying to get it set up to run the BWS program and wanted to install BG:EE, SoD, and BG2:EE
    Yeah, it's different from Beamdog than from Steam/GoG.

In Steam/GoG, SoD is an expansion to BGEE.

In Beamdog, SoD is actually BGEE+SoD, and is a game entirely separate from BGEE by itself. You do not need to install BGEE.
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
    Hello, am planning to go through a full BGT-EE playthrough with some mods, my priority being mods that restaure cut contents and balance game. I was thinking of:

- BG1 and BG2 Unfinished Business
    - Ascension with all the "improved tougher" components
    - Sword Coast Stratagems
    - Items and Spells Revisions
    - Sword & Fist (for a few fighter kits), Song and Silence, Divine Remix, Rogue Rebalancing

I know there is another module that restores missing voice-overs at the beginning of ToB in the forest when talking to the stones. Can anyone help me out with this one.

I would really appreciate if someone could also help me out with modules that makes the mechanics closer to the PnP rules, if anyone has comments or can suggest other modules with great quality content.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    edited March 2018

EDIT Problem solved

Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    edited March 2018
    BWS tells me that the file EE_content_tweaks.rar is missing yet I can see it in the download folder. It's there highlighted in the image!

Can anyone explain please?

Is it something to do with the image that it cannot deactivate 355 = BWTextpack = Big World Textpack (-)?

As can be seen "BiG World Textpack ENGLISH-v16.7z" is also in there.

EDIT

Started again and no problem this time.

:)
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    edited February 2018
    @Matthieu - For P&P, look no further than aTWEAKS and Rogue Rebalancing. They are masterfully executed and as faithful to the source books as the engine allows.

For restoring content, I suggest you have a look at Almateria’s Restorations. It restores a ton of content and fixes a few bugs while it’s at it.
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
    Thanks man
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    edited March 2018

ALIEN said:

Example, I have C:BaldurEET/BGEE and C:BaldurEET/BG2EE

Since windows 8.1 installing anything at C:\ has the same restrictions as installing into C:\Program Files. BWS instructions forbid it very clearly:
    Forbidden folders for you game installation, don't install you games here:
    "C:\< anything >..."

Unfortunately, since BWS can't be extended further, auto check can't be implemented.
    I have windows 10 and the only restricted parts are programs and programs(x86). I have a successful EET install with BWS and it's not the first one.
    Some rumors don't get better by repeating them constantly.
    That's simply not true. Just look at the NTFS security rights for drive C:\ - they have the same restriction/limitation as "Program Files". Anyone can verify that. Unless you have technical knowledge how things are working, please don't denny that "non-administrator accounts cannot modify/install anything inside OS protected paths". If you don't agree, try to install/copy anything into c:\ using non-admin account. Some false claims don't get better by repeating them constantly.

EDIT:
    Indeed "OS protected paths" are protected, but C:\#something# seems to not be "OS protected path".
    Post edited by ALIEN on
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I have Windows 10 and didn't have a problem.

I created this folder with my everyday user account, copied the installations in and modded them without issue. Note that Authenticated Users has "Modify" rights.
    edited March 2018
    @BillyYank

Well, I cannot deny what I saw after checking you example by my own, using non-modified, clean Windows. Indeed " OS protected paths" are protected, but C:\#something# seems to not be "OS protected path". Now I need to figure out why my Windows installation behaves differently (maybe AV?).

Only cow doesn't change her mind so I stand correct.

@PaulaMigrate While C:\Games seems to be fine, because of the "backup software profiles", it's still much better to choose C:\Users\#UserName#\Games instead of C:\Games so it will be picked up during backups. Do you agree that I should leave the requirements?
    Huh, what? If people can't install to C:\folder, then where can people install that only have a C: drive?

The Program Files folders are far from recommended, as those are protected, and none of the other existing on default folders is a recommended folder to install games in.

I'd highly recommend against installing anything in C:\Users\Username or a subfolder thereof! Those folders are designed for personal data, not programs. Installing there would also prevent all other users from accessing the game.

While C:\ root is protected under newer Windows versions, you can create your own folders in C:\, and those folders aren't protected. You should be able to do whatever you want in them.
  • JonnecyJonnecy Member Posts: 56
    edited March 2018
    Stuck at "Updating origin" when using the "Update if Needed.vbs" file (v.e38e24...).
    How can I fix this ?
    Previous version worked just fine.
    Edit: Scratch that. v.d3668a99... not working either/having same issue. Worked just fine yesterday though. Something wrong with their servers ?

-Summary-
    These selected downloads are defect:

BiG World Textpack <-- wtf
    BG1 Mini Quests and Encounters
    The Stone of Askavar
    Alora NPC

Edit 2: Apparently the forums at kerzenburg.baldurs-gate.eu/ are down/no longer exist and so are the downloads. FML.
    Post edited by Jonnecy on
    Jonnecy said:

Stuck at "Updating origin" when using the "Update if Needed.vbs" file (v.e38e24...).
    How can I fix this ?
    Previous version worked just fine.
    Edit: Scratch that. v.d3668a99... not working either/having same issue. Worked just fine yesterday though. Something wrong with their servers ?

-Summary-
    These selected downloads are defect:

BiG World Textpack <-- wtf
    BG1 Mini Quests and Encounters
    The Stone of Askavar
    Alora NPC

Edit 2: Apparently the forums at kerzenburg.baldurs-gate.eu/ are down/no longer exist and so are the downloads. FML.</p>

Bitbucket - BWS is hosted there - has technical problems today and they work on it.
    I guess that explains the why I was getting stuck at "Updating Origin".
    The other downloads are still not working though ;(
    @Jonnecy Please send complaints to baldurs-gate.eu admins. Maybe they will fix their links.
    verlaine said:

Bitbucket - BWS is hosted there - has technical problems today and they work on it.

It's back up.
  • BloodstoneBloodstone Member Posts: 99

BWS tells me that the file EE_content_tweaks.rar is missing yet I can see it in the download folder. It's there highlighted in the image!

Is it something to do with the image that it cannot deactivate 355 = BWTextpack = Big World Textpack (-)?

EDIT

OK, I got the same Error Message about Big World Textpack not downloading, where do I find this file? is it on github somewhere I can find it, and then I assume when I run the BWS Utility again I can just have a copy of this file in the BWS Download folder to fix the issue? Thanks

EDIT

OK, I got the same Error Message about Big World Textpack not downloading, where do I find this file? is it on github somewhere I can find it, and then I assume when I run the BWS Utility again I can just have a copy of this file in the BWS Download folder to fix the issue? Thanks
    Having the exact same issue.
    edited March 2018
    Consistently getting this error during installation:

Installing DLG files...
    Copying and patching 1 file ...
    Compiling 1994 dialogue files ...

[action list near line 471, column 2 of EET/temp/patch/d/IMOENP_.d] PARSE WARNING at line 472 column 1-38
    Near Text: ActionOverride
    syntax error
    WARNING: cannot verify action ~SetGlobal("KickedOut","LOCALS",0)
    ActionOverride("IMOEN2",ActionOverride("IMOEN2",JoinParty()))
    ~: Parsing.Parse_error

[action list near line 951, column 2 of EET/temp/patch/d/JAHEIP.d] PARSE WARNING at line 952 column 1-39
    Near Text: ActionOverride
    syntax error
    ActionOverride("jaheira",ActionOverride("jaheira",JoinParty()))
    ~: Parsing.Parse_error

It messes up the installation of the EET-core component...which is kind of relevant. Unfortunatelly it does not say which mod is at fault here.

INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS EET core - resource importation

D:\Baldur's Gate Saga\00783>
    Enhanced Edition Trilogy (Enhanced Edition Trilogy) wa
    The issue is ActionOverride("IMOEN2",ActionOverride("IMOEN2",JoinParty())) must be ActionOverride("IMOEN2",JoinParty()). Something puts the second ActionOverride("IMOEN2", in front of it. Must be some mod that installs on BGEE before EET converts the game.
    Hard to say where the source it from the limited information in the post.