Skip to content

Star Wars games

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    @Squire btw, if you were active in the MP community, did you ever play the map where you fought on a long glass bridge where the glass could be destroyed so you fell to your death? Or a map with a small temple in the middle surrounded by a lot of small rocks you could jump around on (or fall to your death) and a small elevator up to the roof of the temple? My buddy made those maps and I remember how cool it was to see them being played in the MP community for a while (this was pre-academy).

Now that I think about it, I think you are right and that the best saber combat was in 2 and not in academy. I think I recall now that, just like you say, the inclusion of the dual and double sabers made the battles less tactical and more "mash the attack button". I liked to play with max force in Academy and no force powers in outcast IIRC for that reason. Forces just interfere with the really good saber combat of outcast! Boith sith and jedi had powers to heal themselves, potentially dragging the matches out for a loooong time.
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    edited March 2018
    The back-attack itself wasn't too bad, and could be pretty cool if used properly, but too many people would play by just running backwards pressing the button constantly, so anyone watching them would see someone backpedalling while swinging in front of them, then as soon as they bump into someone... back-attack!

The infamous death-from-above (except it was never actually used from above so "death from level" is a better name :lol: ) was lethal if you got hit by it, because you couldn't block it, but if you saw it coming you could easily side-step and have a nice exposed flank to hit... I guess it's possible to replay it but I doubt the community is the same as it was, tbh.
    Saber's duels look as ridiculous in the games than in the movies, so I guess they made it right.
    Yep, pretty much... I think that was the idea of it, to work like it does in the films. ;)
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I remember people generally abusing the back attack with a force pull, they'd pull you in, then spin and back attack while you were knocked down. Pretty much the reason to play as light side was so you could have force absorb just so the cheap trick wouldn't work. The jumping heavy attack wasn't that overpowered, as I remember it. It was easy to just take a couple steps to the side or roll if you wanted to get out of the way. My favorite trick with the heavy attack was to charge and swing late, so it looked like I was opening myself up, then when they go to swing at me, I'd take a couple steps back, and then step back in and land the heavy hit after they were swinging and had opened themselves up.

I think all the best saber duelists ran as light side, just for force absorb. Shuts down all the cheap force tricks and forces people to fight you head on. It really messed with the people who could only lightning, force choke/drop off ledge and force pull/back attack. You'd also gun force absorb during jumps, just in case somebody tried to throw you.

I do remember one funny maneuver you could do for the light stance's back attack. It was just a straight stab backwards, but if you spun the mouse around you could hit everything around you, and it was super lethal. If you spun the mouse quick enough, you could get 2-3 hits on everyone near you. They eventually patched that trick out, so you couldn't turn while doing the light stance back attack.
    Skatan
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511

I remember people generally abusing the back attack with a force pull, they'd pull you in, then spin and back attack while you were knocked down. Pretty much the reason to play as light side was so you could have force absorb just so the cheap trick wouldn't work.

Yeah, I played as light-side for that reason, as well as a few others.
    I do remember one funny maneuver you could do for the light stance's back attack. It was just a straight stab backwards, but if you spun the mouse around you could hit everything around you, and it was super lethal. If you spun the mouse quick enough, you could get 2-3 hits on everyone near you. They eventually patched that trick out, so you couldn't turn while doing the light stance back attack.
    Yes, the "back attack spin of death", where oyu set the mouse sensitivity really high so you could spin round, like, a billion times and hit the person every time... :lol:

@Skatan I don't think I remember that map... come to think of it, I don't remember which maps I did play on, but I do remember one with lots of bridges and people would keep spamming the jump-kick attack to knock their opponents off.
    Skatan
    Heh, I remember being able to pull it off without the mouse sensitivity being super high. Ah, the benefits of an old school ball mouse.
    Skatan
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    I loved the (single player) cheat iknowkungfu in Jedi Academy that would give you a set of weird martial art moves. Including the classic Asterix move of grabbing someone by the ankle and throw them around. Made all the better because the animations wouldn't sync if you used these moves while using Force speed. So then you could step back as the effect wore off and watch enemies being thrown around by nothing at all.
    Skatan
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    Star Wars Episode I: Racer is now available on GoG <3
    ThacoBell
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    Matthieu said:

The earliest Star Wars games I played were on CPC. The first one was full vectorial 3D.

I would play it with touchscreen on Android.

JoenSo
    Has anyone tried the restored content mods for Knights of the old republic 2? I was a bit bummed out at the obviously huge amount of cut content in that game. But I played it on the Xbox so couldn't test out any mods.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    JoenSo said:

Has anyone tried the restored content mods for Knights of the old republic 2? I was a bit bummed out at the obviously huge amount of cut content in that game. But I played it on the Xbox so couldn't test out any mods.

I'm usually not a huge fan of mods, but in KOTOR2s case there's really no reason to play it without the restored content mod.

There's also the great M4-78EP Droid Planet mod which adds a whole new Planet that was cut early in development. Mind you that the version I just linked to is old. For some reason the mod has been removed from deadlystream, I'll try to look up why.

I'd say both of these mods highly improve the quality of the game, please give them a try if you haven't. I don't enjoy mods that change a game too much or just add random things, but these two mods are pretty much just trying to add things that would've actually been there if the game hadn't been rushed.

There's also a nice KOTOR1 Restoration Mod which isn't nearly as extensive as 2's case but it fixes some stuff.
    ThacoBellJoenSo
    Never played the restored content mod but if I ever replay kotor 2, I will most definitely install it. I've played it twice IIRC and it really do feel oddly cut at times, kinda like Tyranny did later as well.
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    The last version of M4-78EP Droid Planet is not available for retail/GOG version.
    http://deadlystream.com/forum/topic/5773-whats-going-on-with-m4-78ep/page-1
    SkatanDev6
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Dev6 KotoR2's restored content mod is REQUIRED in my opinion. Its largely responsible for making it my favorite Star Wars game of all time.
    Dev6
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I agree the restored content mod for KotoR2 is required, but I was playing it a few weeks ago and quickly came to the conclusion that my participation in the combat portion of the game was almost inconsequential. Has there ever been a series of RPGs as faceroll as these two?? These games really could use a difficulty mod on top of everything else, because they play a bit like the new Story Modes we see in modern games.
    Dev6

I agree the restored content mod for KotoR2 is required, but I was playing it a few weeks ago and quickly came to the conclusion that my participation in the combat portion of the game was almost inconsequential. Has there ever been a series of RPGs as faceroll as these two?? These games really could use a difficulty mod on top of everything else, because they play a bit like the new Story Modes we see in modern games.

I must be really bad at KOTOR2 then. As every time I am required to play a character thats not my main, I get stomped repeatedly.
    Dev6
    I see it's only 8 euros on Steam at the moment, so I might pick it up and try a restored content run one of these days. I remember I once tried a blaster-only character. With the crafting system you can get almost as good blasters as lightsabers. It was great fun. So I might try out that again.
    Dev6ThacoBell
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719

I do agree that the KOTOR games are a bit too easy 90% of the time, specially if you get force lightning at max level, but I never felt bored while playing which shows that difficulty isn't everything I guess.
    There's a couple fights that become quite hard though. The terentateks spring to mind, for example.
    JoenSo said:

I see it's only 8 euros on Steam at the moment, so I might pick it up and try a restored content run one of these days. I remember I once tried a blaster-only character. With the crafting system you can get almost as good blasters as lightsabers. It was great fun. So I might try out that again.

You could've bought both games for like 2.50€ each on GOG last week, bad timing. :) Still, they're well worth 8€.
    I reckon a blaster-only character could be fun, specially with the late game blasters, but alas I'm a fool for lightsabers...
    ThacoBell said:

I must be really bad at KOTOR2 then. As every time I am required to play a character thats not my main, I get stomped repeatedly.
    The main character has a certain tendency to be overpowered when compared to the others. :tongue:
    ThacoBell
    Dev6 said:

You could've bought both games for like 2.50€ each on GOG last week, bad timing. :) Still, they're well worth 8€.
    I reckon a blaster-only character could be fun, specially with the late game blasters, but alas I'm a fool for lightsabers...

Oh drat. Ah well, I haven't used GOG at all and prefer having it all collected in Steam anyway. I'm a sucker for lightsabers too, but the thought of a force-using gunslinger in space was too cool to ignore. And it's fun to just shoot dark jedi in the face Indiana Jones-style as they realize they should have paid more attention during the blaster deflection classes.
    ThacoBellDev6
    If I recall correctyl, there's some kind of mandalorian slug-throwers. I don't remember their in-game names, but IIRC the slug-throwers (essentially being bullets fired instead of blaster shots) can't be blocked by lightsabers. Good for fighting sith obviously.

Ok, I googled it and it's the mandalorian ripper I am thinking of. IIRC I had one NPC using them (Carth?) in one of my games and even if the NPC ofc couldn't compete with the charname, it was still kinda good.

I think the stance they have in KOTOR when dualweilding guns isn't very practical IRL, but I just gotta admit I am a huge sucker for the aestethics of it! I think it looks super-cool.
    Oh riiight! The mandalorian ripper was my weapon of choice. I wonder how a jedi would deal with regular bullets. Force push? I once had a demo for Jedi Outcast. If you were quick enough there you could actually force push blaster shots back at the shooter. Not that it was very useful.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Dammit, now I want to play KOTOR & KOTOR2 again.
    JoenSoThacoBell
    @JoenSo Well, considering that lightsabers can just melt through metal like it was so much butter, regular bullets would probably vaporize before fully passing trough beam.
    ThacoBell said:

@JoenSo Well, considering that lightsabers can just melt through metal like it was so much butter, regular bullets would probably vaporize before fully passing trough beam.

I've thought so too. Then the image of an overconfident jedi getting a blob of molten lead in the face comes to my mind. I'd rather not take the risk.
    ThacoBell
    Too make things REALLY fun. Assuming lightsabers are plasma, which I often see them cited as being. To get that kind of cutting power, and to be able to deflect cutting lasers, the blade would have be nearly as hot as the sun. Just turning one on would obliterate you, everyone in the room, and likely the city you inhabit.
    DrHappyAngry
    Skatan said:

I think the stance they have in KOTOR when dualweilding guns isn't very practical IRL, but I just gotta admit I am a huge sucker for the aestethics of it! I think it looks super-cool.

Nothing about dual wielding guns is realistic, human eyes and the sites on guns don't work anything like movies and video games portray it. You wouldn't hit anything more than a few feet away if you tried to fire two guns at the same time. When you see pics of cowboys with 2 revolvers on their belt, it was just so they could pull the second one out when the first one was dry to avoid reloading. I suppose you could say the same thing about dual wielding blades, since the offhand weapon was more for parrying, or taking a shot from the side where your opponent wasn't guarding.

That said, it is a fun game mechanic.
    ThacoBellJoenSo
    Everything in Star Wars, including dual-wielding, can be explained by mentioning the Force or arrogance.
    ThacoBellDrHappyAngry
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I love the two gun thing. I mean I've been watching this nonsense in movies since John Woo gave us Hardboiled and The Killer.

ThacoBell
    Also I was happy to see the Pod Racer game go on GOG last week.
    jjstraka34
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited May 2018
    Even with the patch it's still a shadow of what it should have been though.

I feel like kotor 2 is one of those games I've simply replayed too many times at this point :s
    I don't think we'll see anything like Kotor 1 again and most certainly not kotor 2 as long as Disney is in charge.

In the comics that first introduced the old republic era you even see lightsabers with a cable though.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Protosaber
    BelleSorciere
    Yeah, KOTOR's technology is basically the movie era with some different names.
    ThacoBell