Skip to content

In praise of BG1 NPCs

2»

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    I read the name Eldoth a lot of times in this thread. Maybe some people would like to know that I did a kit specially designed for him (extracted from The Complete Bard's Handbook): The Charlatan.

Also, I also provided kits for Khalid (it is a completely different point of view about him, I know) and Kagain: the Bodyguard and the Mercenary, respectively.

On top of that, all the priests character from BG1 (and BG2, but that's not the case of this thread) gains a kit with his-her god in Deities of Faerûn
    Chroniclertoolarg
  • toolargtoolarg Member Posts: 179
    Im a fan of your kits. Just recently I searched for kits of all kinds to start new games, as I really enjoy re playing BG with different combinations of NPCs, and SO MANY have a hilarious numbers of advantages and disadvantages, like in the dozens. 7 advantages, 5 disadvantages. "GAINS A +1 BONUS TO SAVING THROWS EVERY 3 LEVELS LOL". Its painful to read. Keep it elegant and simple while making it different, work well done @Raduziel.
    Raduziel
    Means a lot to me.

Thanks, @toolarg
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Hm, even with the kit I don’t know that Eldoth is worth it. As I said, Garrick can be obtained (and built up) earlier, and I simply don’t like his personality. If it weren’t for Skie, I’d never take him at all
    tbone1 said:

Hm, even with the kit I don’t know that Eldoth is worth it. As I said, Garrick can be obtained (and built up) earlier, and I simply don’t like his personality. If it weren’t for Skie, I’d never take him at all

Particularly, even without the kit I would not pick up Garrick. He is way too much a brown noser for my taste, I think that his stats are worse than Eldoth's and the Poison Arrow ability is awesome.

Also, with BG1 NPC Project you can meet Eldoth before Garrick.
    tbone1
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Eldoth's stats are worse than Garrick's. The poison arrow is the only good thing about him, as Eldoth is a terrible Bard. Garrick is a much better npc.
    ThacoBell said:

Eldoth's stats are worse than Garrick's. The poison arrow is the only good thing about him, as Eldoth is a terrible Bard. Garrick is a much better npc.

Str: Eldoth beats Garrick 16 x 14 (+1 dmg)

Dex: Eldoth loses to Garrick: 12 x 16 (-1 Thac0, -2 AC)

Con: Eldoth beats Garrick: 15 x 9 (+1 HP)

Int: Same score for both

Wis: Doesn't matter

Cha: Eldoth beats Garrick: 16 x 15 (+1 Reaction and 5% discount on stores)

Special Ability: Eldoth has nice poisoning arrows that can shut down any mage in a failed Save vs. Death. Garrick has nothing.

Considering that on my playthroughs I have a lot of NPCs (Khalid, Kagain, Ajantis, Jaheira, Viconia, Yeslick) for the 18/00 gloves and the 18 Dex gloves just stay idle on my backpack, I would trade Garrick for Eldoth in the blink of an eye.

An I'll not talk about personality because that is subjective.
    STR and CON don't matter for a Bard. The inportant stats are DEX: where Eldoth loses, and INT: where its a tie. Garrick wins with the stats that matter. Poison arrow is the only aspect where Eldoth beats out Garrick. But a vanilla bard is more uselful when either singing or as a secondary caster, both things that Eldoth loses if he is firing arrows, which Garrick does better anyway, having a higher dex.
    booinyoureyes
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited March 2018
    Eldoth coming much later in the game + the need to take Skie as well can be factors into Garrick's favour.
    booinyoureyesThacoBelltbone1
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Raduziel said:

Considering that on my playthroughs I have a lot of NPCs (Khalid, Kagain, Ajantis, Jaheira, Viconia, Yeslick) for the 18/00 gloves and the 18 Dex gloves just stay idle on my backpack, I would trade Garrick for Eldoth in the blink of an eye.

You should be giving those dex gloves to Ajantis or Yeslick.
    ThacoBellBalrog99tbone1

Raduziel said:

You should be giving those dex gloves to Ajantis or Yeslick.
    It is a possibility, but I prefer giving them the STR glove as they can wear heavy armor and rarely use ranged weapon.

As I said, it all depends on play style.

(Also there is no argument on Earth that would convince me to stand Garrick's personality).
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited March 2018
    Raduziel said:

(Also there is no argument on Earth that would convince me to stand Garrick's personality).

Let me try!

Another comment I made in the "Head Canon Thread"

My number one favorite head canon moment that I've mentioned numerous times is Garrick. People love to say how annoying and naive he is, so I though of a pretty fun alternative:

He is totally aware of how annoying and bizarre he comes across as and doesn't mind... because he is secretly a jester!!! It is his brilliant plan to be able to bug people and troll them with impunity, since they will all be like "Oh, you can't get mad at Garrick he's just an innocent, goofy little bard who doesn't know any better"

little do they know that he is secretly laughing at them inside his devious little head.

Here is some line combos I've come up with about Garrick the Secret Jester, using actual NPC quotes and dialogues from the first game:

1. "Music has charms to soothe the savage breast. ...oh, hi there Shar-Teel :)"

2. Xan: "Garrick?" "Yes.... siirrr" "Life is so hollow" "Life... is glorious!" "sigh...we're all doomed" "ti's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, tis a..."

3. With Edwin:
    "I am at your service"
    "Foolish bard! Again you disturb me! What is it now?"
    "Make short the miles with talk and smiles :):):)"
    "You are sooooo irritating!"
    "With joy sir"
    "One day.... one day..."

In my latest NPC Project BG runthrough I am imagining him constantly making unwanted advances on Shar-Teel. The rest of the party is unsure whether or not he is coming on to her or just naive about what he is saying. Shar-Teel acts annoyed, rolls her eyes and threatens him, but is actually kind of confused inside. Garrick totally believes she is into him

tbone1ThacoBell
    Another major pro, Garrick is not a kidnapper.
    tbone1
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    ThacoBell said:

He is also not a disgusting slimy user - all true! But his voice... His bard skills (outside game mechanic)... His personality... Let's just say the choice for bards in BG1 is a taught one. And SoD does not make it easier (there is no choice in SoD but somehow BD managed to add yet another bard with questionable personal traits - very much inline with original game!).
    tbone1
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Mirandel said:

ThacoBell said:

He is also not a disgusting slimy user - all true! But his voice... His bard skills (outside game mechanic)... His personality... Let's just say the choice for bards in BG1 is a taught one. And SoD does not make it easier (there is no choice in SoD but somehow BD managed to add yet another bard with questionable personal traits - very much inline with original game!).
    And very much in line with musicians, truth be told.

MirandelThacoBellBalrog99Contemplative_Hamster