Skip to content

Icewind dale enhanced edition problem save

Frank91Frank91 Member Posts: 19
Hi, I'm having trouble saving game data as they disappear from the folder "C: \ users \ Username \ Documents \ Icewind dale enhanced editon \ save" my operating system is windows 7

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Hello!

There may be several reasons you don't see saves in that folder:

1) saves didn't get deleted; the game just doesn't see them - see https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/65867/missing-save-files

2) saves weren't created:

Windows Controlled Folder Access
    Antivirus issue workaround
  • Frank91Frank91 Member Posts: 19

thanks for answering me, unfortunately with your advice I can solve the problem .. I have this problem with the bg EE and I just can not understand why .. just change the area of ​​the game saves disappear! I also tried an installation path but it does not change anything. :(
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Sorry, can you clarify? You say you "can solve the problem" but it looks like you mean you can't solve it.

What Antivirus do you use?

I use a free antivirus "360 total security" sorry for my English but I'm Italian. :)
    Can you please add that folder C: \ users \ Username \ Documents \ Icewind dale enhanced editon \ as an exlusion:

https://wiki.nus.edu.sg/display/DA/Add+folder+exclusion+-+360+Total+Security

After that, please, try to save the game again and report back if you see new saves.

I tried to do as you said but nothing .. the rescues disappear after a few minutes.
    Frank91 said:

I tried to do as you said but nothing .. the rescues disappear after a few minutes.

What do you mean by "a few minutes". Do you see saves at first and then after some time they disappear?

the strange thing that this problem I have only with bg ee- iwd and and with other games everything works wonders
    exact after a few minutes disappear
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @Frank91, could you disable the virus checker for a short while and see what happens when you save a game?

Is this happening for both BGEE and IWDEE? Do you also have BG2EE installed and it works okay?

Are you using cloud saves or any form of synchronisation with a cloud based storage (Onedrive/Google Drive etc) at all?

Gus
    @Gusinda , bg2 ee I do not have it, as far as bg and iwd do not save with the cloud .. now I try to disable the antivirus. Thanks for your help :)
    @Gusinda , even so it works, I run the game in compatible mode win98 / win ME maybe it is what creates problems?
    Hi @Frank91, I just want to make clear what is happening (so that I understand):

Not sure what you mean by 'even so it works'. Are you saying the game works now or this is just a language problem (we can deal with either).

- Both IWDEE and BGEE have the problem where games being saved disappear.
    - You are running Window 7 but running the games in Win98/ME compatible mode.*
    - You can see the saves then they disappear.
    - The game saves still disappear when you turn off the Antivirus.
    - No cloud saves and no synchronised service of any type.
    - I am guessing that you are running the latest versions of the games: ie: BGEE 2.3.67.3 and IWDEE 1.4.0. If you are running the beta versions, let me know.

*There is no need for running in compatible mode, so I would turn that off. It shouldn't make a difference but not required.

Qs:
    - Has the game ever run properly? ie: has this problem just started or this has happened from the start?
    - Are you running in a desktop or a laptop environment?
    - Does your 'Username' consist of any non-ASCII characters like accents or tildes etc?
    - Could you run 'dxdiag' (from a 'command prompt' or 'run' from the start menu), save the results and upload in the text file? If you need assistance with this, let me know and I will describe how.
    - Could you also upload your 'baldur.lua' that would be found in your 'documents/Icewind Dale Enhanced Editon' (or your Baldur's Gate one) folder.

For now, I recommend that you turn off the compatability mode and try again. Let us know how you go.

Thanks
    Gus

Hello @Gusinda , sorry for my English but I'm Italian and I do a bit of trouble .. I try to get a summary.
    - Both BgEE and IwdEE have the problem of rescues that disappear.
    -I have Win7 and run the games in WIN98 / ME mode (it's the only way I can get them to start)
    -I can see the rescues that disappear both from the game and from the folder.
    - I use version 1.4.0 of Iwd and V1 3.2053 of BgEE
    - My username is simply "User"
    -I do not know exactly how the command prompt works ..
    Hi @Frank91, no probs with language. I can't speak any other so you are doing well for a non-standard language...

I will install both games onto a Windows 7 platform and have a look.
    Is there any reason you haven't updated BGEE to 2.x?
    Also, has the game ever worked properly or always deleted saved games?

For the dxdiag, click on start, and find the menu option 'run'. Type in 'dxdiag' (without the ') and the diagnostics will start. When it has completed its scan, there is a 'Save All Information' option. Just save it and upload the file. You can upload by selecting the Attach File (looks like a page with the corner folded) icon in the comment tools.
    To upload bakdur.ini, rename baldur.ini to baldur.txt and using the same icon, upload the file.

Could you also copy any file (doesn't matter what it is) into C:\users\Username\Documents\Icewind Dale Enhanced Editon\save" and see what happens to it. First try without starting the game, then after a while , if it hasn't been deleted, start the game and close. If it still hasn't been deleted, start the game, save a game, then close the game again and watch what happens with all the files (incl your saved game).

Thanks
    Gus

Hello @Gusinda , regarding BgEE I have the retail version .. even downloading the Beamdog client I can not find a way to update the game. the file Baldur.ini I can not send it even if I rename it .. can I just copy it and paste it?
    edited March 2018
    @Frank91, no problems with copy and pasting baldur.ini. Please make sure you put it Spoilers. Can be found in the paragraph marker icon in comment tools; looks like a reverse IP.

Did you end up copying a file into the folder? Interested if it too was deleted.

I shall go through your dxdiag.txt and let you know. Quick look suggests some drivers might be out of date but that shouldn't delete your saved files.

Have a read of this:
    Updating retail copy of BG to current version. Hopefully this will fix your update prob.

Gus

Edit: I forgot to ask, are you running any mods? If so, can you also upload your 'WeiDU.log'.
    Also, the type of saves being made - were they 'quick' saves or named saves?
    Post edited by Gusinda on
    edited March 2018
    no, I do not use any mod..i rescues are with "name" I also tried the quick save but they also disappear.
    CREATE TABLE options (
    section string,
    name string,
    value string
    );
    INSERT INTO options ROWS (
    'Fonts', 'ko_KR', 'NANUM',
    'Fonts', 'zh_CN', 'SIMSUN',
    'Fonts', 'ja_JP', 'MSGOTHIC',
    'Fonts', 'ru_RU', 'PTSERIF',
    'Fonts', 'uk_UA', 'PERMIAN',
    'Window', 'Full Screen', '1',
    'Graphics', 'version', '2.1.2 - build XXXX',
    'Graphics', 'renderer', 'GeForce Go 7300/PCI/SSE2',
    'Graphics', 'vendor', 'NVIDIA Corporation',
    'MOVIES', 'LOGO', '1',
    'MOVIES', 'INTRO', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Footsteps', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Memory Level', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Mouse Scroll Speed', '36',
    'Game Options', 'GUI Feedback Level', '5',
    'Game Options', 'Locator Feedback Level', '3',
    'Game Options', 'Bored Timeout', '3000',
    'Game Options', 'Always Dither', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Subtitles', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Keyboard Scroll Speed', '36',
    'Game Options', 'Command Sounds Frequency', '2',
    'Game Options', 'Selection Sounds Frequency', '3',
    'Game Options', 'Effect Text Level', '62',
    'Game Options', 'Infravision', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Weather', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Tutorial State', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Attack Sounds', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Auto Pause State', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Auto Pause Center', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Difficulty Level', '3',
    'Game Options', 'Suppress Extra Difficulty Damage', '0',
    'Game Options', 'No Difficulty Based XP Bonus', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Quick Item Mapping', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Environmental Audio', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Heal Party on Rest', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Terrain Hugging', '0',
    'Game Options', 'HP Over Head', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Critical Hit Screen Shake', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Hotkeys On Tooltips', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Area Effects Density', '100',
    'Game Options', 'Duplicate Floating Text', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Tiles Precache Percent', '100',
    'Game Options', 'Color Circles', '1',
    'Graphics', 'Scale UI', '1',
    'Graphics', 'Zoom Lock', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Over Confirm Everything', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Show Learnable Spells', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Render Actions', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Confirm Dialog', '0',
    'Program Options', 'Disable Cosmetic Attacks', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Render Travel Regions', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Pausing Map', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Extra Feedback', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Filter Games', '1',
    'Game Options', 'All Learn Spell Info', '0',
    'Graphics', 'Hardware Mouse Cursor', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Maximum HP', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Show Character HP', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Nightmare Mode', '0',
    'Game Options', '3E Thief Sneak Attack', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Cleric Ranger Spells', '1',
    'Program Options', 'Font Name', '',
    'Program Options', 'Double Byte Character Support', '0',
    'Program Options', 'Drop Capitals', '1',
    'Program Options', '3D Acceleration', '1',
    'Program Options', 'Maximum Frame Rate', '30',
    'Program Options', 'Path Search Nodes', '32000',
    'Program Options', 'Tooltips', '60',
    'Program Options', 'Translucent Shadows', '1',
    'Program Options', 'Sprite Mirror', '0',
    'Fonts', 'Zoom', '130',
    'Program Options', 'Volume Movie', '90',
    'Program Options', 'Volume Music', '40',
    'Program Options', 'Volume Voices', '100',
    'Program Options', 'Volume Ambients', '40',
    'Program Options', 'Volume SFX', '80',
    'Game Options', 'Last Save IWD', '000000007-Game'
    );
    edited March 2018
    as soon as I can I send you the file
    @Frank91, no need to send file as it is fine.

I have setup BG and IWD (same versions as yourself) on a Windows 7 platform and had no problems with saves. I was also able to start the game without any compatibility changes.

I then set the compatibility to Win98/ME and was able to repeat your problem. The saved games were deleted if they were overwritten; saved by clicking on the a game and saving over it, which is of course Quicksave does by default.

To fix the problem, I removed the compatibility flag, started the game and saved games remained when I exited the game (at least new games as I had lost all the old ones).

So we need to find out why you can't run the game without compatibility. Could you remove/uncheck compatibility on IWD and let me know what the error is when you try to run?

Thanks
    Gus

@gusinda, when I start the games (bg EE- Iwd EE) not in win98 / ME compatibility the game hangs at the initial menu and the message "Icewind dale EE has stopped working" appears
    edited March 2018
    @Frank91, could you try no compatibility and run the game as Administrator? To do this, right click on Desktop Icon and Select "Run as Administrator"; if that isn't available, open to the game folder and right click on baldur.exe, Run as Administrator.

If that doesn't work, try setting compatibility as Vista SP2 and Run as Administrator.

Gus

Edit: Quick question... How do you start your game? Is it through Desktop Icon and if so, what does that start the game with? Have you tried going directly to the game folder and starting the game directly using baldur.exe?