Skip to content

Play Style Opinions

I'm asking for opinions and don't worry I take a good punch! Haha! For the last several years I have played various iterations of Baldur's Gate I, II, ToB, and then the EE's when they came out. When I played I played it IWD style and put together a party of my own creation and then just added Immy and One other NPC just to add a little flavor.

I didn't realize how much I was cheating myself with storylines that mattered and falling away from the original storylines that came with the game. I just recently got back into the swing of things and picked up SoD, and then did some research on the whole EET project so now I'm back at a point where I'm ready to jump off and start all over again. I have a custom installation all done through BWS and I'm ready to go, but it's been a long time since I did anything with just One PC so my question is what are the best NPC's to pick up and roll with. I'm going to run a Paladin with a KIT, and figured I might run a Mage too, fill up the rest with NPC's.

So who do you all think are the best ones, most fun for role playing, fits best, anybody to keep to the end

Comments

• kozkoz Member Posts: 11
    It's hard to go too wrong with the cannon group, Minsc, Dynaheir, Imoen, Jaheria, Khalid. you've got all your basic food groups covered - melee, ranged, healer, mage, thief.

In SoD I use Glint in Imoen's spot for more utility (thief / cleric) and Corwin is just death on a stick so she becomes my primary ranged option.

Dorn is very capable, but pretty dark to be alongside a Paladin for the long haul.

Viconia is also an interesting option - obviously with these two you either need to be doing some creative reputation management, or using a mod to prevent them from leaving.
  • BloodstoneBloodstone Member Posts: 99
    I was thinking of Dorn, but would definitely have to find a Mod that would prevent his departure, or just find someone else when the time comes I guess. It has areally been so long since I played with more than one or two "bioware" folks in my party it's kind of wierd. Lookin forward to it though as EET looks like it provides alot of room for alot of Myth Adventures!
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    Just from what I've seen, Glint and M'khiin have huge amounts of content geared towards them. I'd hazard a guess that Rasaad and Neera both have separate sidequests, but I haven't played SoD with them yet. I... think Corwin might have a romance? Dunno about any of the evil companions.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,722
    From my own experience:

I've actually enjoyed Dynaheir in SoD a lot, banters- and personality-wise. For me, she's one of the best companions in SoD. Minsc is fun as well.

I second Glint and M'khiin - fresh characters, and excellent voice acting.

For the 5th party member you can choose whoever you want. If you come from BG:EE, you can bring the helmet of opposite alignment with you, so all evil companions are available even for a paladin.

My 5th party member was Corwin, though :) Too hard to resist to archer's damage output.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited March 2018
    Dynaheir is an Invoker which means her Webs are more powerful than the average mage, and her fireballs as well. When you are fighting huge armies, what better companion could you possibly ask for?

M'khiin seems to be the fan favorite of SOD, with good reason, and Shaman's are an interesting new class to explore if you haven't yet.

Not a huge Voghiln fan personality wise, but he's not a bad bard and Skald song is useful.

I enjoyed a lot of the new SOD banter for Viconia.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I do more rp runs than power optimal ones. Personally, I find the good aligned characters to be interesting than the evil ones, who seem to be more one note (Korgan excepted, he is surprisingly complex). Most of my parties are comprised of who I find funny/interesting. Mazzy always has a spot with me, with a good mix of heartwarming and funny moments with almost everyone. Minsc is hilarious paired with just about anyone (especially Mr. ToB). Korgan goes from generic crazy (amusingly so at least) and dives into tragic and complicated when paired with Mazzy. Rasaad is IMO, one of the best written characters in the series, is genuinly nice, and a bit of a dork. Oh and Yoshimo is a must. There aren't many good thieves, so he fills a needed niche, he gets along with almost everyone and has some good funny (Him singing bawdry songs with Keldorn comes to mind) and even tragic moments.
  • BloodstoneBloodstone Member Posts: 99
    I'm gonna have to find that helm of alignment change, that would rock, and then i could have my paladin and still drag dorn or viconna around.

I hadn't thought to much about Corwin or Korgan, but both sound interesting.

Definetly gonna run with a Minsc/Dynahier group, that sounds like a solid core. More opinions are certainly welcome, and thanks everyone for your input.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Corwin is definitely interesting. She is the only character in the series who looks at everything from a strictly lawful perspective.