Skip to content

So, are Shamans still crappy?

Last time I played back when SoD had just been released I recall the summons being rather disappointing, especially when compared to the Totemic Druid or plain skellies from animate dead.

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Shamans rock and always have. Their summons were never meant to be powerhouses, they are free infinite blockers.
    ZaghoulDev6
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    They are not free because they paralyze your protagonist.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

They are not free because they paralyze your protagonist.

You're not paralyzed, you move and switch to another action whenever you want. It more like a free monster summoning spell that you can use when idle, and it improves with levels.
    Dev6
    Why is your protagonist idle in a battle? Is it because shamans have too few spells to be useful in a fight?
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Shamans were never crappy or useless.
    NeverusedThacoBell
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    Play a half-orc shaman. Don't dance. A very powerful druid remains.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Two solutions for you:

Use the Dreadful Witch from I Hate Undead Kitpack

Use @argent77 's Improved Shamanic Dance
    StefanO said:

Play a half-orc shaman. Don't dance. A very powerful druid remains.

The problem with that this is only true at low levels (BG1, SoD). But since the shaman never goes beyond 6 spells per spell level, the druid quickly leaves the shaman in the dust. Even with wisdom as your druid's dump stat, she'll catch up to the shaman at 3M XP.
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    Last but not least: Beginning at level 11 a shaman needs 375,000 XP for every next level. With 1,875,000 XP a shaman reaches level 15.