Skip to content

Will there be a version of SoD in the Mac App Store for Mac OS X?

I purchased BG:EE from the Mac App Store to play on Mac O X and would love to get SoD from there as well. Will it be made available there in the future at all? I don't want to have to purchase BG:EE again from one of the other sites in order to get it.
Paladrius87

Comments

• Paladrius87Paladrius87 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2018
    I do hope so, I just did the same thing. I did the search on my iPad using iOS 11 then got on the Mac downloaded BG EE only to realise SoD wasn’t available on the Mac store.

Is there a work around for this ?
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    It is coming with the 2.5 release. Not all of it is on Beamdog. Apple has some fairly strict policies on its store, which isn’t a bad thing; for example, they are pretty careful about security and user data, unlike some other entities we could all name. Part of the price for that (and everything comes at a price) is that between WotC’s demands, Apple’s processes, and Beamdog’s size, the IE games for iOS, Android, and the Mac App Store were stuck at 1.3 for quite a while.

But everything we’ve heard and seen says 2.5 and SoD are coming. Some here have even tested the betas.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    @tbone1 sorry, that is not accurate. BeamDog have been expressly neutral about any news regarding SoD on Mac App Store. It is clear that getting a 2.x series patch released first is an essential step, so until we get 2.5, there is nothing to say. For the iOS App Store, the 2.4 patch immediately led to the release of SoD as a new game (rather than DLC, due to platform limitations imposed by Apple) but when asked if there would be a similar release for Mac App Store following the next patch, BeamDog were very explicit with "we have no news to share" and really sounded like they had not made their mind up yet.

While I hope to see SoD on the Mac App Store, I have lost any expectation that it is going to happen soon, if at all. It would be great for BeamDog to surprise us, but let's not go setting them up for failure to deliver something they never promised.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Fair enough, but they also said that 2.5 would be released “across all platforms”. That may or may not include the Mac App Store, but I was under the imoression it would be. And I’m too tired o scrounge through press releases, etc.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Indeed, there's no news about SoD on the Mac App Store, sorry.
  • Gandalph97Gandalph97 Member Posts: 5
    Will Planescape be getting the 2.5 update too? Or some sort of update that makes it 64bit?
  • Gandalph97Gandalph97 Member Posts: 5
    Actually, it appears maybe that it already is? I will probably grab that from the app store soon too, looks pretty cool!
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Planescape uses its own fork of the engine.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    PST:EE is indeed 64bit on the Mac App Store.