Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• ussnorwayussnorway Member Posts: 341
    edited April 2018
    Update;
    the mop up operation is finished and I'm at the first camp tonight... money is a little tighter than normal

because I forgot to spend it on scrolls before the ambush but I have all the gear so we should be ok.
    StummvonBordwehrMantis37Enuhallolien
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342

HHH - because we are waiting for 2.5

My Archer Archy is (still) safely stored in BG1 awaiting the 2.5 patch. But while we are waiting I decided on a HoF run in IWD. This time with a half orc F/C. He is min maxed (19/18/19/9/18/3). His charisma was too low for the name Godot, so he was named HHH.

Hhh did the chores in Easthaven and gained some levels

The first milestone is getting some Summons. The undead at level 3 are pretty solid. But getting there is a chore. With a sling and a flail the goblins where wasted until the final level was gained

The undead cleared the rest - and the wolf

Actually the undead cleared everything...

The only exception was the shadow in the vales, that is immune to non magical weapons. Due to my low charisma I couldnt buy Love of Black Bess. So I had to trek back to the Kuldahar Pass to grind XP and shortbows, so I could level up and buy a the cool: LoBB.

Back in the vale the undead killed some Yeti and an obscene amount of undead. Clearing the tomb Hhh reached level 10/11, and gained access to the much lauded spell level 6 and some nice summons.

Here hhh and Kres poses in a “I cleared the tomb selfie”

Next up: more killing (its a IWD run, so its pretty much given).
    Grond0Serg_BlackStriderEnuhalussnorway
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    Alright, could do a more full update, but kind of frustrated by this death. Underground river cavern system, come into the 3 blind albino wyvern cavern I didn't even know existed. Killed by acid damage in one second, as I was trying to leave the cave.

And that's after barely cheating death at the hands of Morenthene: is there actually a safe way to deal with ridiculously high Poison damage at that point in the game without being a Cavalier?
    StummvonBordwehrEnuhalussnorway
  • BomimoBomimo Member Posts: 18
    Man. I remember reading some of you guy's progress reports on the original Bioware forums back in 05-06. Even back then i always meant to give it a run and 12 years later i still haven't pulled the trigger. Some of you guys are absolutely bosses at this game!
    Grond0EnuhalStummvonBordwehrMantis37
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    @Bomimo it's never too late to do the right thing :p.
    EnuhalAerakarlolien
  • EnuhalEnuhal Member Posts: 920
    @Neverused If I recall correctly, with the release of the new patch (which, according to what we know, might be at the end of the month), protection from poison scrolls will protect against poison damage.

However, while Morentheren does indeed deal poison damage, as you noted, the blind albino wyrmlings are acid-based foes, so traditional protection from acid scrolls do help for this encounter.
    StummvonBordwehrNeverusedsemiticgoddess
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    Yep, Acid protection would've worked, if I had known they existed at all. Also, seems SCS is incompatible with 2.5 as of now, so I'm mildly torn. :tongue:
    Working on a new install, essentially SCS + Scales of Balance. Going to see just how crazy new proficiency systems make things...
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I've got a no-reload party run going in IWD2 with my new "semiOverhaul for IWD2" mod installed and we're at the river caves, right after the white dragons and before the duergar. I started the run mostly to test out the mod so I could balance things out better, but if it's a success, I'll post the run here just for fun. So far the game has been much more fun than the vanilla game, and I like how the rebalances are affecting gameplay.

I have thousands of screenshots from my old solo HoF IWD2 runs, but I've never ended up posting them here. Let it be known that even if I make it through this current run, I am not a perfect player and I have tons of failed runs behind this one.

You know, I have some successful runs of the IWD games, but the Hall of Heroes has historically been reserved for successful runs of the BG games, so my runs are buried somewhere in this thread. What do you guys think about expanding the Hall to IWD, NWN, and PST runs, or maybe creating a separate "hall" for those games?
    ussnorwaylolien
  • EnuhalEnuhal Member Posts: 920
    Creating a separate hall seems like a fine option (in my opinion, the challenge of no-reloading through the entire baldur's gate series is on a bit of a different level compared to getting through just one of those games, so I wouldn't exactly want them to be part of the same hall), though I don't quite see the challenge in no-reloading through PST, since success is almost inevitable ;)
    lolien
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Enuhal: We briefly discussed a PST no-reload run in the past and we agreed that the appropriate equivalent was a no-death run, aside from deaths that are mandatory for quests.

IWD2 isn't quite as hard to play no-reload as the BG games, but it's far more challenging than the first IWD game, at least with the Tactics4IWD2 mod installed. Immunity to disablers is much harder to come by, items and spells are much less broken, and the game is much more linear, limiting the player's options and preventing the kind of crazy gimmicks that can smooth out the difficulty. A solo HoF run of IWD2 is almost as challenging as a solo LoB run of the BG saga, and distinctly more difficult than any one of the BG games individually.
    Aerakarussnorwaylolien