Skip to content

[BG2:EE] Will inventory lag get fixed in 2.5 update?

FurloSKFurloSK Member Posts: 6
edited April 2018 in The 2.5 Update Beta
Hi there,

many players (including myself) have experienced inventory lags when picking up equippable items in inventory. This was introduced with 2.0 update, which included portrait highlighting.
This lag is actually so bad (~2-3 seconds for me) that I can't use Enhanced edition at all and need to stick with old Classic Edition.

There are several discussions about this problem on Beamdog Forums, e.g.: And there are several bug reports filed in tracker: (don't be confused by version numbers or mentions about already being fixed—it is still present in the latest version, 2.3.67.2/3)

Will this get fixed in 2.5 update?
If not, could we at least get an option to turn it off in game settings?

Thanks,
FurloSK

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I'm curous as to the root cause of this. Its not universal, so I wonder if its one of those "IE just decides to do this to certain people" situations, or some kind of weird hardware configuation incompatibility.
  • FurloSKFurloSK Member Posts: 6
    Not sure, but I would say it's some non-optimal part of algorithm for portrait highlighting.

The lag is not always so long, and definitely depends on how many people I have in my party, and how "complex" are the items in my inventory and character scripts. For example, having Sandrah mod installed and Sandrah in my party, lag jumps to 3-4 seconds because her scripts are long (at least in terms of KB-size).

So I think that even if it's not visible for some people, the lag/non-optimal computation is still there, but is just too short for them to actually see it.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Any lag would be noticeable, especially if you move your mouse as you click, as the item would stutter even with less than a second of lag. The Troubleshooting thread seemed to have a certain graphics card pop up commonly.
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    joluv said:

FurloSK said:

could we at least get an option to turn it off in game settings?

SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Bugs','0')
    Of course using this string force-quits the game and deletes it from your drive ;-)

We’ve been through worse. Hopefully this bug gets squashed eventually, too.
  • FurloSKFurloSK Member Posts: 6
    I believe there were worse bugs, but this one is also pretty serious for some players. It's not merely a nuisance; we have been seriously trying for a long time to get around it somehow by UI scripting, but it seems it's not really possible, so we need help from developers (and 2.5 could be the last patch…)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Hello! Thanks for your feedback. The developers will look whether it's possible to fix this for the 2.5 patch.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    @JuliusBorisov

I had this problem with my 10-year older computer (windows XP, first gen-duo core 2.2 ghz, with a nice Nvidia graphics card), which was able to run 1.0 versions just fine.

When I switched to a newer-ish laptop, the problem went away and hasn’t come back (i5 quad core, no special graphics card).

Not sure if this information could possibly be used to help narrow down the issue.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Ok, the team have decided to look into adding a way to disable equipment comparison, but for the next patch, not the 2.5 one (as doing that would mean another delay of the 2.5 patch).
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Is there some particular item that causes lag, or you have a problem with basic non-magical armor/weapons too?
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Please fix this for 2.5. It is very much worth a delay.
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295
    Arthas said:

Please fix this for 2.5. It is very much worth a delay.

BG2: EE 2.5 is already out.