Skip to content

Strength Roll 18/00

I finally rolled 18/00 on strength!
I've been trying all day but I finally got it. ♡

Comments

• gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    NIce! The only time I ever rolled 18/00 was long before the Enhanced Edition, and I was so naive to D&D rules that I had no idea how good I had it.
  • alceryesalceryes Member Posts: 380
    Nice! How were your other scores when you got the double zero? I've rolled it a few times but my other scores were always crap.

Getting a 00 AND a 92+ point roll...? That's the stuff dreams are made of!
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    'Grats! That's some serious commitment right there.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited April 2018
    alceryes said:

Nice! How were your other scores when you got the double zero? I've rolled it a few times but my other scores were always crap.

Getting a 00 AND a 92+ point roll...? That's the stuff dreams are made of!

Happened to me all of once. Vanilla BG Cleric/Ranger with a 18/00 and 92 point roll overall. Dude was a total baller.
    18/00-18-18-10-18-10
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Am I crazy lucky or something? I roll this all the time (especially when I rearrange the rolls).

I thought it was common. I guess I don't appreciate my own luck!
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859

Am I crazy lucky or something? I roll this all the time (especially when I rearrange the rolls).

I thought it was common. I guess I don't appreciate my own luck!

Nah, I get them pretty frequently, too. Fighters, Thieves, and Fighter/Thieves can easily max out everything they care about with a roll of 75. (Hell, 70 points gives me 18/18/18/10/3/3, which is still three hits from a mind flayer after getting the INT tome.) So when I'm rolling for a F or a F/T, I'm basically only looking at the strength score. Since you get a /00 on one out of every 100 rolls, it doesn't take much dedicated rolling to get one.

For a Paladin or a Fighter/Druid, I definitely care more about the top-line number than the strength split, especially since everything's a 19 anyway after the tome. Most of the time there I'm happy to settle for anything over 18/50, and I'll take below that if the overall is good enough.
  • MonotremataMonotremata Member Posts: 78
    Raduziel said:

Rolled a 00 once.

And then I pressed reroll...

Don't think Ive ever hit a 00 without 'making it happen' but, I cant even count how many times Ive just kept rhythmically clicking reroll and gone right past the perfectly rolled stats just because I was zoned out expecting it to take hours to get what I did haha.
  • kotekokoteko Member Posts: 179
    I never look at the decimals - what's the point, where you'll have Strength 19 before too long?

(OK, I guess if one only plays BG1, it may make sense. But one could also rush to Candlekeep for the tome and then finish everything up).
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    koteko said:

I never look at the decimals - what's the point, where you'll have Strength 19 before too long?

(OK, I guess if one only plays BG1, it may make sense. But one could also rush to Candlekeep for the tome and then finish everything up).

18/00 + throwing daggers = really, really quick early-game. It's 8.5 damage per hit with two APR out of the blocks, 2.5 with specialization (which is possible for almost all classes that can get slash strength scores in the first place), good for 21.25 damage per round assuming all attacks hit and no criticals, which is about 55% greater than what you get with 18/75 strength or worse. Plus, 18/00 strength = 150 extra pounds of carrying capacity relative to 18/51-75 strength, which is a big boon when hauling Ankheg shells to Thunderhammer to get your early economy going.

In a lot of ways, rolling for 18/00 is similar to dual-classing late. Both get you a very substantial advantage that you can only really enjoy over a small percentage of the series. It's just a question of whether you benefit for the first 20% of the trilogy or the last 20% of the trilogy.