Skip to content

Underdeveloped Storylines: Which Sidequest do You Think Deserved More Love?

124»

Comments

• tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    @UnderstandMouseMagic Maybe she went back to retrieve the books?
    Malicron
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    edited April 2018
    Cabal82 said:

I would like to see Husam the shadow thief in their Athkatla HQ, and drink with him some ale.

Oooh, yes, me too. Not necessarily the ale drinking part, but I was disappointed not to meet him in Athkatla in BGII. He came all the way to the Sword Coast help deescalate the potential war situation, and then he is nowhere to be found in Amn itself, I mean come on.

This brings me to another thing I am missing (in all meanings of the word - maybe I was just blind while playing the game) - but where is it explained who were the people actually kidnapping the group at the beginning of BGII / end of SoD.
    My head canon is that it's Mae'Var - a possibility that is also spelled out directly in the trasntion scene in BGT, and it makes much sense imho. It's Shadow Thieves to some extend, yet it can't be Aran Linvail, at least not really, or he is a completely lying b**ch when talking to the PC. So, in my head I imagine Mae'Var taking on the job to raise funds for his rebellion.

• ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    jastey said:

This brings me to another thing I am missing (in all meanings of the word - maybe I was just blind while playing the game) - but where is it explained who were the people actually kidnapping the group at the beginning of BGII / end of SoD.

Pretty sure those were just faceless goons in the design doc I built the scene from. Logic dictates that Mae'var is a high probability indeed, however.
    booinyoureyes
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited April 2018
    @jastey One of the shadow thief leaders in BG2 admits that they helped Irenicus capture you. I don't recall if its Renal or Aran. Not personally, but they gave the orders at least.
    booinyoureyessemiticgoddessRaduziel
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    ThacoBell said:

@jastey One of the shadow thief leaders in BG2 admits that they helped Irenicus capture you. I don't recall if its Renal or Aran. Not personally, but they gave the orders at least.

I have vague recollections of this as well, but I can't place the actual scene.
    I WANT to say its Aran Linvail, as he is the one who at least pretends to be the most honest.
    ThacoBell said:

I WANT to say its Aran Linvail, as he is the one who at least pretends to be the most honest.

Aran most certainly does not say that the Shadow Thieves did the kidnapping. Quoted from ARAN.dlg:
    IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 66 // from: 35.0
    SAY #49168 /* ~We knew of your capture almost as soon as it happened. Very little occurs in this city that we are not aware of. ~ */
    IF ~~ THEN GOTO 67
    END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 67 // from: 66.0
    SAY #49169 /* ~We paid little mind. Even though it was done outside of the Shadow Thieves, we thought that a simple kidnapping was nothing to be concerned of.~ */
    IF ~~ THEN GOTO 68

I also read Renal's dialogue quite thoroughly recently and didn't spot anything related to the PC's kidnapping.
    I would be very interested if you or someone else can prove me wrong. But I didn't find any other reference to the kidnapping than the quoted lines of Aran above.
    semiticgoddess
    Ardanis said:

Pretty sure those were just faceless goons in the design doc I built the scene from. Logic dictates that Mae'var is a high probability indeed, however.

So it's two related questions: 1. who did the devs have in mind and 2. what do players think who it was / makes sense in terms of consitency of the game. I'd be interested in both.
    booinyoureyes
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    edited April 2018
    I always assumed the "figures cloaked in mist, blurring your thoughts" businesses in the opening movie meant it was Bhodi's vampires that got you.
    lroumen
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629

1:56 for the line I'm referring to.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579

RE: The kidnapping.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the storyline of BG2 (which IS very possible, as it has always seemed somewhat convoluted to me), the "figures cloaked in mist" who kidnapped you were ROGUE Shadow Thieves who had been persuaded to join Irenicus/Bodhi - likely for the very purpose of kidnapping you (though the two are also later shown using them for fatal experimentation). The reason for the battle in Irenicus' dungeon at the beginning of BG2 is that the real Shadow Thieves are looking to put a stop to the continued "recruitment" of their members.
    tbone1
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    I had played BG2 for years and years before I even thought of the possibility that the "figures cloaked in mist" line could be connected to the capture and not to the line right before about leaving Baldur's gate. So I've always interpreted the figures as hallucinations as Charname wanders alone and becomes more paranoid and delusional after all the crap that happened to them in BG1.
    tbone1
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579

How about Kagain's "effort" (or lack thereof, to be more precise) to find Entar's son? He makes a big stink about how Entar's son MUST be found, as Entar's "word is law," but then as soon as he arrives in that area, he just gives up on searching (isn't there a grand total of only TWO caravans on that map, LOL), and then decides to just wander around with you, leaving both his business and any accountability in the matter behind.

So are we to just assume that Entar's son is dead? Well, along with Entar himself being dead, it seems that poor Skie's been beset by quite a bit of personal tragedy - maybe we shouldn't hate on her so much for complaining like she does, after all?
    StummvonBordwehrMalicrontbone1Grum
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I thought bgee finalised kagains quest?
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    So far, Kagain's quest is finished only in the BGNPC Project mod, which was a relief to me, as that one always needed a bit more closure.
    Malicrontbone1Nonnahswriter
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I mean beamdog just closes the quest and does not add any other encounter to it.

I think in chapter .. 3?.. There are some named bandits near the eastern caravan... or am i misremembering.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    lroumen said:

I mean beamdog just closes the quest and does not add any other encounter to it.

I think in chapter .. 3?.. There are some named bandits near the eastern caravan... or am i misremembering.

That’s part of the bg1npc mod(s), not the official game

ThacoBellMalicron
    tbone1 said:

lroumen said:

That’s part of the bg1npc mod(s), not the official game

And its there from the beggining, don't wander in there with you latest level 1 solo sorceror.
    Malicrontbone1
    @Nonnahswriter Jarl's Adventure Pack (BGT only) inserts a quest to retrieve the ghostly voice.
    (bg1re inserts several small encounters into the little room in far south-east (teen rated).)
    ZaghoulNonnahswriterMantis37
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910

According to the Baldur's Gate wiki, apparently the ghost of the Elfsong Tavern had stopped appearing since the start of the Iron Crisis? Why? What do ghosts care about iron? :open_mouth: Seems a bit too coincidental for my tastes.

Maybe the ghost realized that the bhaalspawn prophecy was starting to unfold right there in the city. I'd also take a small break from haunting if there was a risk that the divine beings of the multiverse would blame me for accidentally pushing events the wrong way with my ghostly wails.

If I were doing any haunting with ghostly wails in the first place that is.
    GrumIsewein