Skip to content

Time is ticking away...

Does time matter in bg ee?
Ravenslight

Comments

• NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    There's... maybe 3 times when passage of time's relevant? If you accept Minsc's quest to find Dynaheir, you have a certain amount of time to actually do it before he turns on you. Similarly with Kivan, you have to clear the Bandit Camp within a time limit. Finally, Marek and Lothandar's poisoning quest literally kills you if you don't solve it in time.

There might be a timelimit to the Werewolf Isle quests, but I'm a pansy who avoids that area like the plague.

The time of day does make a small difference: Hide in Shadows has a greater success rate at night, some vendors might not be available at night, ambushes are slightly different at certain times of day... I think that might be it?

deejrandomThacoBellRavenslightJuliusBorisov
  • deejrandomdeejrandom Member Posts: 23
    So the amount of time it takes to go from one place to another doesn't really matter outside those instances? I've always wondered that. I do remember having to reload minsc a long time ago when I first played through BG. But I wasn't sure beyond that. Thanks for the reply.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    I think Khalid and Jaheira leave if you do not go to Nashkel quickly enough.
    Furthermore, there is the quest in Baldur's Gate city
    where you get poisoned and need to find a cure
    RavenslightJuliusBorisovlost1
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    THe werewolf Island does have a timer, but it generous enough that I've never failed it. Khalid and Jaheira will complain for a LONG time before, or even if, they decide to leave.
    Ravenslight
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    Coran has a timer for killing wyverns, Safana has a timer for pirate treasure, and Kagain has a timer for walking a map north to find a trashed caravan too.
    ThacoBellRavenslightJuliusBorisov
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    I think Branwen’s quest to find Tranzig has a timer as well.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    If you don't finish the werewolf island quest in time you die of lycanthropy.

Travel time is pretty relevant if you are travelling invisibly.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844

No, I don't think it's that.

Khalid and Jaheira and Xzar and Monteron will disappear from the game completely if you travel to Nashkel without speaking to them.

That's important to remember if, like a lot of people, you do the first part of the game solo, then want to recruit them at a higher level.
    Don't travel to Nashkel, they will wait indefinitely otherwise.
    REALLY?? I never knew that.
    booinyoureyes
    I am not to nashkal yet. Don't like xzar or Montero but thought about taking them for the quest.
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    There are multiple NPC's that leave after a time if you do not complete a specific mission in time. The timer starts after inviting them to the party and ends when they leave or the mission is completed. Most of them have quite generous timers though.
    There are also a few quests that have time sensitive missions where you die if you do not complete it in time. Usually these are quite obvious like being poisoned.
    Other than the time sensitive quests there are litterally no punishment for spending YEARS resting... Although I will admit I have never taken much more than a year in game before completing bg1.
  • bretbret Member Posts: 24
    Some players like to observe (self-imposed) limits on how often they rest, and to "optimize" the order in which side-quests are performed to minimize travel-times and backtracking. E.g. no resting in dungeons, only rest when characters are fatigued. This can increase the difficulty and (some would argue) makes more sense from a roleplaying perspective.

But from a strictly in-game perspective, as others have noted, there is very little content that is actually time-sensitive and you can (for the most part) spend as much time as you like.
    Mantis37
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

Also like to add, the time restrictions when dealing with Kivan, Minsc and Edwin can be cancelled by just traveling to the correct map. Not actually doing the quest.

So for Kivan, you can run up to the Bandit Camp map, turnaround and head straight back without actually going to the camp itself and the timer is cancelled.
    Same with the gnoll fortress.
    ThacoBellDivinalost1
    Those points are good to know. I got kind of worried about the amount of time spent camping m
  • MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
    edited April 2018
    I actually had the idea to create a Fighter PC, join fighter and cleric NPCs and then rest, rest, rest, rest....

Rest for weeks, months, years, until you hit the Spellplague and then kill everyone easy, specially Irenicus.
    EnialusMeliamne
    The spell plague....is that from NWN?
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    edited April 2018

Nope. It was what happened to faerun during the time of 4th edition d&d. It was their explanation for going from a vancian spellcasting system to the 4th edition system. It was horrible from a story perspective and my groups have always played in faerun time before the spellplague or in an alternate version where the spellplague never happened.

On point: I found this little forum post, although I cannot speak to its accuracy or its completeness
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/63003/quest-timers#latest
    JuliusBorisov
  • MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
    edited April 2018
    During the Spellplague, spells would be dangerous to cast, magic items could be faulty, or not, and many (but not all) wizards gone mad or died. It was more relevant in the novels, like in Salvatore’s The Ghost King.

The reason was that Mystra was killed by Ciric and Shar, so maybe Viconia would feel good or something.
    deejrandom
  • RidcullyRidcully Member Posts: 164
    bret said:

Some players like to observe (self-imposed) limits on how often they rest, .... only rest when characters are fatigued.

So it's not just me :smiley:

• DivinaDivina Member Posts: 26

I think this is my favorite thing I have ever seen in this forum, and no, I am not making fun! But you made my day SO MUCH <3
    Divina said:

I think this is my favorite thing I have ever seen in this forum, and no, I am not making fun! But you made my day SO MUCH <3</p>
    Well to be fair, the only plague I remember is the one in the OC of NWN, hah. PnP DnD wise I went from 3.5 to 5e and didn't even touch 4e, heh.
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380

No, I don't think it's that.

Khalid and Jaheira and Xzar and Monteron will disappear from the game completely if you travel to Nashkel without speaking to them.

That's important to remember if, like a lot of people, you do the first part of the game solo, then want to recruit them at a higher level.
    Don't travel to Nashkel, they will wait indefinitely otherwise.
    REALLY?? I never knew that.
    Storywise though I feels a bit, meh. Taking a few weeks to a month in-game to level xp before talking to Khalid and Jaheira feels to meta-gamey for me. Realistically they'd probably wait up to a week and then head off to Nashkel under the impression something went horribly wrong with Gorion.
    Malicron