Skip to content

PST:EE Ambient Sound Static

BaptorBaptor Member Posts: 341
Hello everyone,

Was playing in the Catacombs beneath Ragpicker's Square and hearing frequent static pops in the ambient soundtrack. Enough to distract from gameplay. I've had issues with soundcards in the past, but I don't think that's the case this time, because I'm not hearing any issues with any other sound on any other program, including other EE titles such as Baldur's Gate. I am only hearing this on PST:EE and only in the ambient noise.

I saw some recommended reinstalling OpenGL and I did this but no avail. Someone also said to drop the OpenGL.dll file directly into the PST:EE folder. I did this to no effect.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any other fixes or are we just waiting on a patch?

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    I can't say I ever noticed any sound-related issues in my own runs.

However, I can imagine that OpenAL may be the cause of it. It might help reinstalling it. The download link can be found somewhere in the Troubleshooting topic.
    JuliusBorisov
  • BaptorBaptor Member Posts: 341
    argent77 said:

However, I can imagine that OpenAL may be the cause of it. It might help reinstalling it.

I already said I'd tried reinstalling it and it did not work. Did you read my original post? :(

I've tested the Ambient noise in a few other locations. I seem to only hear these static pops in the Catacombs and the areas that use that sound (Drowned Nations, etc.)

Maybe the sound file is corrupted?
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    Baptor said:

argent77 said:

However, I can imagine that OpenAL may be the cause of it. It might help reinstalling it.

I already said I'd tried reinstalling it and it did not work. Did you read my original post? :(

OpenAL should not be confused with OpenGL you have mentioned in your first post. The latter is responsible for graphics operations while the former is needed to deal with sound.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited May 2018
    I meant OpenAL. I have reinstalled OpenAL to no effect.

Sorry for the typo.

Any other thoughts?