Skip to content

What's your preferred party size in IWD?

Being as guilty of restart-itis as many of the forum-goers here, I've noticed a trend: I get bored and restart when I'm running a full party.

Four, on the other hand, seems to be about optimal for me. This can be a little awkward because inevitably there are a lot of items I can't put to good use, but when I run six, a couple of my characters end up being unimpressive. Plus, divine casters get ... less enticing when a party's Bard acquires War Chant of Sith, at least for me.

With four, all of them can shine in their own way. For example, right now I'm running a Barbarian, Swashbuckler, Fighter/Mage/Cleric and Sorcerer. Sort of wishing I hadn't made the FMC a fighter at times due to slow level progression, but it's a pretty fun and effective combo as these things go.

What about y'all?
  1. What's your preferred party size in IWD?67 votes
    1. One (solo)
        8.96%
    2. Two
        2.99%
    3. Three
        1.49%
    4. Four
      10.45%
    5. Five
      10.45%
    6. Six (full party)
      65.67%
RavenslightRik_Kirtaniyamashedtaters

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Bite-sized. Which somehow always ends up with my character becoming solo.
    RavenslightQuartzmashedtatersProont
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    SomeSort said:

I've been really big on duo/trio runs in IWD/BG2 recently. (In the case of an 18-year-old game, "recently" means "for the past two or three years".) Almost as easy to manage as a solo character, but you don't need one character to be everything at once, and there's a little bit of space for more tactical play, (splitting your party, etc.)

I feel you. The level cap in BG1 was the bane of my existence for many years, plus I was ... four years old when it came out (my parents got into D&D when it first came into existence in the late 70's, so my mom bought BG1), so I was also just bad.

After a period of not being able to play the game for three years or so due to technical limitations (no computer of ours' would run it properly–on Mac, the OS 9 to OS X gap was taking place during the release of the BG series, resulting in some prominent incompatibilities), my solution at last was to run a four-character party through BG1. My PC Cleric, Kagain, Imoen, and Edwin. So basically the best of the best of each single-class. It worked!

Then I went for a PC Fighter/Cleric, Imoen, and Edwin. Then a PC Fighter/Cleric and PC Mage/Thief. It's fun to get more and more minimal, but I've never had a lot of fun playing solo to be honest.
    RavenslightmashedtatersProontKenji
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    RavenslightmashedtatersQuartzProont
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    I always use six and haven’t played any other way. It just never occurred to me that I would want fewer players to brave he vast untamed wilds of the north.
    RavenslightProontThacoBellKenji
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    Quartz said:

SomeSort said:

I've been really big on duo/trio runs in IWD/BG2 recently. (In the case of an 18-year-old game, "recently" means "for the past two or three years".) Almost as easy to manage as a solo character, but you don't need one character to be everything at once, and there's a little bit of space for more tactical play, (splitting your party, etc.)

I feel you. The level cap in BG1 was the bane of my existence for many years, plus I was ... four years old when it came out (my parents got into D&D when it first came into existence in the late 70's, so my mom bought BG1), so I was also just bad.

After a period of not being able to play the game for three years or so due to technical limitations (no computer of ours' would run it properly–on Mac, the OS 9 to OS X gap was taking place during the release of the BG series, resulting in some prominent incompatibilities), my solution at last was to run a four-character party through BG1. My PC Cleric, Kagain, Imoen, and Edwin. So basically the best of the best of each single-class. It worked!

Then I went for a PC Fighter/Cleric, Imoen, and Edwin. Then a PC Fighter/Cleric and PC Mage/Thief. It's fun to get more and more minimal, but I've never had a lot of fun playing solo to be honest.
    Duo / Trio runs are also fantastic for really getting a good feel for an NPC. Anyone who hates Cernd or thinks he's useless should pick him up in a small party playthrough. It's easy for him to get neglected when there are 5 other characters to pick up the slack, but when he's forced to pull his weight you really start to appreciate what he brings to the table.

One of my most fun recent games was a Dwarven Defender, Jan, and Cernd. The smaller party "fixes" Jan's big flaw, (the sloooooooooow arcane progression-- same reason I never bring Aerie along), and Cernd kind of slots in as both a secondary offensive tank *and* a secondary offensive caster.

Also, provided you have a mod that gives you early access to him, Tiax is another phenomenal choice for a small-party run. Quirky, neglected, and versatile. You really learn to love the Ghast, too, (probably the best "bonus ability" of any NPC in BG1).
    QuartzProont
  • oakheartoakheart Member Posts: 64
    I usually aim for a party of 3 or 4, typically with a fighter/druid up front and cleric/mage (or mage/thief) at the back. I have a weakness for sorcerers though...I find them so much fun to play that I often include one, throwing the balance of the party off.
    QuartzProont[Deleted User]Kenji
  • AronAron Member Posts: 94
    I choose to have a 6 man party, because I feel like I can make a good balanced party this way.
    In Icewind Dale 1 and 2 I try to keep similar setups.

Human Paladin (2H sword)
    Half elf Ranger (2 weapon)
    Dwarf Cleric/Fighter (Weapon + Shield)
    Human Cleric (female)
    Human Thief (female)
    Human Mage

Always choose good alignment for all characters. The classic heroes in Dungeons and Dragons type of setup.

I've recently created a new group for Icewind Dale now that the achievements are there.
    Really looking forward to get started.
    ProontQuartz[Deleted User]
  • IamdorfIamdorf Member Posts: 60
    I tried using three characters but really didn't like it. I did like soloing a Ranger but never finished with him because I am the worst at restartitus! I find that I love having Druids and Bards but they do make the party weaker at first so it's harder for me to progress to where the game gets better (expansion & chapter 3). I also recently discovered how nice it is to have someone who can use a composite bow. Add that to liking combining a mage with a cleric to have a spell powerhouse and I need to add two to the party to keep it alive. Sigh
    Kenji
  • CrazyUberKillerCrazyUberKiller Member Posts: 5
    Once I have some bishop chess peaces I like just using 2 characters. A dual classed fighter/mage and fighter/theif. It cuts down on the multitasking and micromanagement quote a bit. Bishops are really easy to clone. Its not hard or all that time consuming to clone 30+ which should be enough for anyone to complete the game.
    Clone any game items simply by exporting 1 char with the item then move the item/s to the next char and repeat. Its the best way to equip the entire party with the best boots, belts and armors along with uber items like the chess peaces.
  • FylFyl Member Posts: 62
    4-5

Sixth person still regularly trips up pathfinding
    IamdorfKenji
  • ANOFANOF Member Posts: 70
    I’ve always had six party members, but, after watching a video of someone playing with five, I thought I’d give five a try. I didn’t even make it out of the tavern before being unhappy in my party make-up and restarting, this time with four.

I’ve gone with;

Fighter
    Undead Hunter
    Cleric (Priest of Lathander)
    Mage/Thief

I figure that that covers enough bases that I’ll be OK, although, having never played with such a small party, at least in IWD, I do expect a few teething problems.
    Kenji