Skip to content

Post Your Nostalgia Gaming Timeline

BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
edited May 2018 in Off-Topic
Hello, I recently got on a nostalgia kick where I want to replay my all-time favorite computer RPG's in order, because I thought that might be fun. All the games on my list are important to me because they represent life stages - career milestones, relationships, popular music, tv, and movies, memories of youth.

I think it would be fun to read other people's lists, too. I Googled original release dates of my personally important games and arranged them into a timeline. For simplicity's sake, I have not included expansion packs.

- Dark Wizard, Sega CD, 1994. This was the grandaddy of them all for me. It was the game that got me hooked on gaming, at age 29.

- Heroes of Might and Magic, August 31, 1995. I needed a place to go after Dark Wizard. HoMM I was the most similar game I could find.

- Heroes of Might and Magic 2, October 1, 1996.

- Might and Magic 6, April 30, 1998. This was just like playing tabletop D&D with my high school buddies. Boy, was I ever hooked on gaming now.

- Baldur's Gate, December 21, 1998. (This date really makes it more of a 1999 release.) The reason we're all here on this forum, and the reason Beamdog exists.

- Might and Magic 7, January 2, 1999. I can't remember if I played this first or BG. I likely would have been more interested in playing this one first, since I was so addicted to MM6 already.

- Heroes of Might and Magic 3, February 28, 1999. Considered the zenith of the 3DO series of Might and Magic games.

- Might and Magic 8, March 7, 2000. The beginning of the end for 3DO.

- Icewind Dale, June 29, 2000

- Baldur's Gate 2, September 21, 2000.

- Neverwinter Nights, June 18, 2002.

- Divine Divinity, August 2, 2002. My first aRPG, and the beginning of an addiction to a new sub-genre of RPG. I had missed Diablo already.

- Sacred, May 19, 2004. Now I was *really* addicted to Diablo clones, even though I still didn't know what that was.

- Titan Quest, June 26, 2006.

- Neverwinter Nights 2, October 31, 2006. The beginning of feeling disappointed with newer releases, and feeling like games were losing something.

- Sacred 2, November 11, 2008. Released with massive stability issues. The first game that got me to buy a new computer just to play that game. Once I finally got it to work, I think I've spent more time in this game than any other as far as total hours played, even BG. The Sacred 2 gameworld is massive and huge, bigger than any other game I've ever seen.

By 2008, I had established a habit of rotating these older games, and only occasionally giving newer games a try, usually to come back to these same old ones. Beamdog was still four years away. When Beamdog launched BG:EE, that reinforced my habit of continually revisiting older games again and again.

I'd love to read some other people's gaming timelines.
Post edited by BelgarathMTH on

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    deltago said:

So I was bored and made this:

edit: easier to read if you open the image in another tab. List:

Combat (1977)
    Asteroids (1979)
    Pacman (1982)
    Tetris (1984)
    Super Mario Bros. (1985)
    Mike Tyson's Punch Out (1986)
    Ice Hockey (1988)
    Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf (1988)
    Super Mario Bros. 2 (1988)
    Super Mario Bros. 3 (1990)
    Mortal Kombat (1992)
    Doom (1993)
    NBA Jam (1993)
    Super Street Fighter II Turbo (1994)
    Descent (1994)
    Sim City 2000 (1994)
    Command & Conquer Series (starting 1995)
    Civilization II (1996)
    Baldur's Gate (1998)
    NHL 2000 (1999)
    Baldur's Gate 2 (2000)
    Civilization 3 (2001)
    Neverwinter Nights (2002)
    Mass Effect (2007)
    Assassin's Creed (2007)
    Dragon Age: Origins (2009)
    Mass Effect 2 (2010)
    Civilization 5 (2010)
    Red Dead Redemption (2010)
    L.A. Noire (2011)
    Skyrim (2011)
    Dragon Age 2 (2011)
    Baldur's Gate: EE (2012)
    Baldur's Gate 2: EE (2013)
    XCOM: Enemy Within (2013)
    Injustice: God's Amongst Us (2013)
    Metro: Last Light (2013)
    Bioshock: Infinite (2013)
    Grand Theft Auto 5 (2013)
    Icewind Dale: EE (2014)
    Pillars of Eternity (2015)
    Fallout 4 (2015)
    Civilization 6 (2016)
    Siege of Dragonspear (2016)
    Gremlin's Inc. (2016)
    Injustice 2 (2016)
    EA NHL 2018 (2017)
    @deltago , That is absolutely awesome! When I suggested we make timelines, I never dreamed anyone would come up with something so cool, with graphics. Are you a graphics designer or artist, by any chance? Amazing work. :)
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Sorta. I know my way around adobe products. It’s how I produce Wild Surge.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited May 2018
    In light of @deltago providing his illustrated timeline, I will in fact talk about the SNES. God, where to start. "A Link to the Past" was a peerless adventure, especially in the days before the internet (and without the requisite issues of Nintendo Power). I was lucky enough to get both that AND "Super Mario World" in my package in Christmas of '95. After that, it was all the usual suspects. The fantastic ports of "Street Fighter II" and Mortal Kombat II". "NHL '94" and "NBA Live '95" and "NBA Jam". To this day, I think I could play "Donkey Kong Country" blindfolded. And of course, as far as JRPGs go, the timeless greatness of "Chrono Trigger".

After that, the N64 came. Always overshadowed by the massive library of the Playstation, I'll always go to bat for "Ocarina of Time" and especially "Majora's Mask". "GoldenEye" and "Perfect Dark" introduced me to shooters with friends long before "Halo". The best racing collection of racing games ever put on one console (too many to list really) and the THQ wrestling games were BY far the best ever made. One thing all these games had in common was that they all felt perfectly natural (and indeed relied on) the much-maligned uniqueness of the N64 controller.

Though I owned a Playstation 2 eventually, my play of video games died off for nearly a decade. Only around the release of the "Wrath of the Lich King" did I start getting back into computer gaming, and only 4-5 years after that did GOG and Steam come along and turn my old obsession into an even greater one. In the past 5 years, I have at least SAMPLED nearly every CRPG known to man (by sampled meaning I got it to run on my computer and spent at least 5 minutes with it). I rarely finish games anymore, because I dabble in so many. The easiest games for me to play are ones that involve constant progression and repetition, which is why WoW, Diablo 3, Grim Dawn, and Path of Exile are probably the games I easily have the most hours in, simply because I can't abide not having my mind stimulated at all times, and these games are perfect for listening to podcasts or watching videos or movies at the same time.
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    edited May 2018
    Okay, here goes:

No specific date: Bug attack, Choplifter, Wolfenstein, Starglider, and many other early titles on an Apple II (very old machine with 5" floppy disks and a monochrome green monitor)

1988 (I think) - Goldrunner and one of the early Flight Simulator (aka "The Two Aeroplanes") games on an Atari ST 520

1990 onwards - more Atari games including Falcon, Paperboy, Dungeon Master, Captive, Elite, Midwinter, Double Dragon, Bubble Bobble, Afterburner, Outrun, Lemmings, and loads more that I can't remember!

1994-6 (I think) - traded my Atari for an Amiga (it was my Dad's, he handed it down after getting his first PC) and had Gunship 2000, Streetfighter 2, Mortal Kombat, Rise of the Robots, Theme Park, B17 Flying Fortress, Desert Strike, etc - until the Amiga died.

1996 onwards - my first PC... an old 386 that my Dad recovered from a skip as it was being thrown out. From then on, I've had several upgrades/replacements, and was pretty much a staunch PC gamer from then on. In a somewhat chronological order:

Doom
    X-Wing
    TIE Fighter
    Everything ever created by Microprose (I used to be a real flight simulator buff)
    Dune 2
    Command and Conquer
    Mechwarrior 2
    Terminator: Future Shock
    Rise of the Triad
    Duke Nukem 3d
    Quake
    Thief 2
    Half life
    Unreal Tournament
    Also, on my friend's Playstation: Coolboarders 3, ISS/Pro Evolution Soccer, and Twisted Metal

1999: Baldur's Gate - that's when I stopped playing FPS and flight sim games and started playing RPGs
    2000: Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate 2
    2001/2: Neverwinter Nights, Jedi Knight 2, Morrowind, Icewind Dale 2

2005 onwards:
    Rome: Total War
    Medieval 2: Total War
    Oblivion
    Half Life 2
    Neverwinter Nights 2
    Fallout: New Vegas
    Skyrim
    Space Marine
    Mount and Blade
    Dawn of War
    Thief 3

The last couple of years:
    Elite: Dangerous
    Kerbal Space Program
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown
    Rise of Flight
    Fallout 4
    Portal 1&2
    Pillars of Eternity
    Mordheim
    Total War: Warhammer
    Flight Simulator X
    Hellion
    The Long Dark

Now:
    Star Citizen
    Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Yeah... I've been gaming for a loooong time! :lol:
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited May 2018
    Since nostalgia is a personal feeling, I'll post the games that were most important to me in the order that I got to know them, instead of by release date. I like to categorize them by the system I played it on:

Platform: Acorn Electron Microcomputer; Time: the 80-tie; Age: early teens

Starship Command: a game in black and white (might have been played on a green-on-black monitor) about a spaceship fending off enemy spaceships.

Pengo: a version of PacMan with penguins instead.

Platform: Acorn BBC Microcomputer; Time: the 80-tie; Age: late teens

Elite: a game where you played a spaceship trader, flying into a rotating space harbour was challenging

Pengo: the classic mentioned above finally experienced on a colour monitor: the penguins have different colours (magenta, blue, green etc. - there were only 8 colours on this monitor)

[insert: a long time without a computer - Time: the 90-ties, Age: twenties]

board games, most favourite the Catan series by 999 games

Platform: a Pentium III desktop, Time: early 2000-s, Age: early thirties

Age of Empires: my first venture into PC-gaming and at times already addictive, playing until dawn

Platform: Acer Aspire T140 sporting an Athlon 64 processor (my last pre-made desktop), Time: 2005-2007, Age: 34+

Battlefield 1942: my first and still most favourite FPS, endless days and nights fighting bots on vanilla and mod maps

Platform: Athlon 64 X2 desktop (the desktop I configured myself), Time: 2007-2012, Age: 36-41

Rome Total War a strategy game where building and upgrading are turned-based and only the battles are real-time (with pause) is much more manageable for me than RTS games and I love the atmosphere and music of the game, another game that made me lose sleep a lot

here it is:

Baldur's Gate (vanilla) a lifelong love started on 21-1-2008 (I still got the savegame), yet 27-7-2008 I started a modded campaign with the Tutu mod and Sword Coast Stratagems and never looked back to vanilla, Tutu+Hard Times+Sword Coast Stratagems was my great love until Beamdog came to blow new life into the game

Battlefield Vietnam: this new desktop had a GeForce 8500 GT graphics card and good run beefier games. BFV was the game I celebrated it's graphical power with

Dragon Age: Origins: a second love starting on 4-8-2010, the last good Bioware RPG in my opinion, loved it almost as much as Baldur's Gate, played it many times over

Fallout 3: the only Fallout game I've played so far and despite being frowned upon by lovers of the original Fallout games, I loved roaming the Capitol Wasteland in this game.

Battlefield 2: the game that ended this era and made me wish for another upgrade, this desktop could barely handle it

Platform: Core i3 2120 (Sandy Bridge) with AMD HD 6670 graphics, Time: 2012-2016, Age: 41-45

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition: I started playing with the Enhanced Edition on 13-2-2015, with Carl, an illusionist-thief inspired by the sidekick in the 2004 Van Helsing movie.

Playstation 3, Time: 2015-now, Age 44+:

Battlefield Bad Company: a game I enjoyed because of the gameplay as well as the story and it's characters and could only be played on console. I bought a PS2 in 2014 to find out what console gaming is like, but finished a lot more games on the PS3 I bought a year later

Call of Duty Black Ops: despite a horrendous start (the assignment to assassinate Fidel Castro) it had a gripping story full of things that made you wonder, with a surprising twist at the end and in my opinion the best single-player fps campaign that I know

Platform: Core i3 2120 (Sandy Bridge) with AMD RX460 graphics, Time: 2016-2018, Age: 45-47

Battlefield 3, 4 and 1: games that didn't have as much impact on me on as the earlier Bf games, but that were fun to play as by upgrading my graphics card I could enjoy some eye-candy

Platform: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with AMD RX460 graphics, Time: 2018, Age: 47

The first PC that I not only configured myself, but built myself as well instead of letting a webshop do it for me. It's less than a month old now, but I'll mention the most beefy game I'm playing right now that, like BF 3 and 4 on the previous machine, shows of what my current rig is capable of:

Call of Duty Infinite Warfare mostly for the joy that this time around, the game doesn't make my desktop crash, like it did on my previous core i3 desktop and found out I couldn't run this beast of a game.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    For *all* computer-based game platforms I would have to go back to 1981 when we got an Atari 2600 for Christmas. I cannot recall all the games we had because not all of them were bought--in those days, the new industry of the movie rental stores also rented video game cartridges. My dad had a TRS80 Model III (I self-taught myself BASIC over the summer of 1982) then I got a Commodore 64 for my birthday later that year--it helped warp me into the person I am today. I didn't use it for only games, mind you--I wrote a program that would do all my Algebra homework for me (since I understood the material well enough to write the program I viewed it as a time-saving convenience); that worked out so well that I did it for Trigonometry, as well...but I could never get it to graph lemniscates correctly.

Anyway...I wasn't in to RPGs too much in the early days even though I did have Temple of Apshai and Curse of Ra. Moebuis: The Orb of Celestial Harmony was a lot of fun . A good friend of mine had given me a sector editor program, as well, so this became the first game where I figured out how to edit a saved character/game.

1985: The Bard's Tale. I spent a *lot* of time playing that game. Some days, especially weekends, consisted of "get up, play Bard's Tale, eat, go to bed". You have not lived until you have made your own maps on graph paper by hand.

Sid Meier's Pirates! This version of the game was often frustrating--you did not want to take any skill other than fencing.

Pool of Radiance/all the Gold Box games
    Wasteland
    what can I say which hasn't been said about these? If you have never played them then you should get a copy of DoxBox and obtain copies of these games. They won't stand up to modern games, of course, but they were groundbreaking and incredibly successful at the time. PoR was easy to edit whereas Wasteland was very difficult; however, it took me only a month to discover that you could break the economy of Wasteland by using macros in the mine to dig for silver--one hour of real time would net you more than enough money to outfit everyone with really good gear from Darwin at very low level.

Dragon Wars--a fun game which often broke the fourth wall. Some of my B's in university would have been A's had it not been for this game.

Civilization--not really an RPG, per se, but a very engaging strategy game. I was starting to get much more into card games and board games at this time, though--actually engaging with other people.
    Pools of Darkness--the culmination of the Gold Box series and the first game for which I had to reach out for technical support--the Cloak of Displacement from Secret of the Silver Blades caused a bug when you tried to enter Limbo.

Civilization II. I really enjoyed that game when I could find time to play it--the mid-to-late 90s were not good years for me.

Baldur's Gate (both I and II), Fallout (both I and II), and Icewind Dale. Life had gotten better, I had an updated computer, and I rediscovered my love for computer games. Trials of the Luremaster and Auril's Bane were the first mods/expansions made by someone else I ever downloaded/installed.

Neverwinter Nights and Icewind Dale II. I really enjoyed IWD2 but the computer I had would not run NWN without serious problems--I had to shelve it.

NWN2. I bought this game when my job changed after our company got sold. I wound up not liking it very much by @Notabarbiegirl became hooked--she has since gone through NWN and a ton of mods/add-ons, but she also started making her own connections to a gaming community because of it.

Fallout 3. The first game I had bought in several years--really enjoyed it a lot, especially since I had been so involved in both Wasteland and Fallout years before.

Fallout New Vegas. I enjoyed FO3 so much I had to get this one, as well, especially since it came with all 4 expansions.

Since then, I have been involved with the betas for Wasteland II, BGEE, IWDEE, PSTEE, and SoD but I haven't bought any new games. *shrug*
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511

Elite: a game where you played a spaceship trader, flying into a rotating space harbour was challenging

Yep, and even more so because we didn't have analogue joysticks, so your ship's roll rate was fixed. It didn't roll at the same rate that the station rotated at, so getting the orientation right at the exact moment was challenging to say the least... and if you missed it, you didn't just bounce off with some minor hull damage, you hit the wall of the station and it's instant kaboom! Yeah, games back them were a lot less forgiving than games now. :lol:
  • RigelRigel Member Posts: 251
    1987: Civilization (on an old Apple computer)
    1988: Dungeon Master, Kick off, helicopter simulation
    1994: Doom
    1998: SWAT, Commandos Behind Ennemy Lines
    1999: Commandos, behind the Call of Duty
    1999: BALDUR S GATE !!!
    2000: SHADOWS OF AMN + TOB + Icewind Dale
    2019: BGEE, SOD, BG2EE

+ Go softwares ....
    The helicopter simulation game was Gunship
    I forgot ... Operation Wolf, in 1988.
    Typical game of the 80s (bad guys are some communist guerillas in the jungle and you play a Green Beret).
    Good that my parents did not know that I was playing this game...
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    edited December 2019
    Rigel wrote: »
    The helicopter simulation game was Gunship

This! I remember the joy of destroying a MIG-29 with a Sidewinder missile. I was exstatic.

Also I have very fond memories of Amiga games, Wings (from Cinemware), Sensible World of Soccer, F29 Retaliator, Cannon Fodder, Desert Strike, Ishar and before that many games on Atari XE (World Karate Championship, Bruce Lee, BMX Simulator, Decathlon, River Raid).
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    edited December 2019
    Late 90s on uncle's PC: Realms of Arkania, Ultima VII, The Longest Journey and other Adventures, plus endless replays of AoE and AoM
    Early Noughties: Ps:T, Bloodlines, Arcanum, sporadic NWN and Kotor (no BG oddly enough because teenage me thought herself too edgy for the FR)
    Late Noughties: Ultima remakes (Lazarus, Archon, Exult). Switched to P&P and took a near total break from CRPG gaming.

...to get back into it with finally playing through Baldur's Gate Trilogy in 2011, fully modded ab initio. I've been playing Trilogy playthroughs all but back to back ever since, but I'm frightfully slow and therefore only just about to start run four. NWN user modules on the side whenever there is some time.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    ah, nostalgia gaming eh?

gaming WAS my life, from the age of 4ish to about 25ish when i started to slow down a bit and now that im pretty much retired at 32 im back into it a bit more

but vidgeo gaimes have definitely had a huge impact on my life and i loved them for so long, in fact i was one of those nerds who was addicted to video games like crack ( but hey, i at least was able to do a slam dunk in high school only being 6'2, and when i was 25 i could bench 315, so its not like i completely wasted away playing games :) )

so i think im going to have to do mine in parts because there is a lot of games that i have fond memories of, and a lot of systems to go over, so lets see...... 9pm, i will probably be done this around midnight, so grab your snacks and get something to drink because you might be here a while

table of nostalgia contents;

Nes
    Gnes ( Sega )
    N64
    PS2
    PS3

Pokémon Series
    Baldur's Gate Series
    IWD Series
    NWN Series
    SC Series
    FPS games

What do i play now?

Nes

this is where it all started. I remember when i was 4 years old the first time i ever played a video game ( before this time i had no idea they even existed, which i suppose makes sense when you're 4, because at that age you aren't all that sentient of the world around you ) but i was blown away

i should have wore a helmet that day because my mind exploded; the very idea that you could control a character on screen with a control in some random fantasy world was absolutely fascinating, and not only that, but your character could jump, run and even transform into a bigger character and shoot fireballs ( im talking about super mario bros )

although my experience that day was only for a few minutes ( i don't think i even beat the first level ) i was obsessed, and i wanted a Nintendo SO BADLY, problem is; im 4 with no job, and my parents weren't exactly the richest people on the planet, and back then, a brand new nintendo entertainment system was a colossal 100 bucks, and back in '91 a 100 bucks now is worth at least 10 bajillion doors ( or at least that is what it seemed haha )

so anyways, the months would go on, and my simple little mind was being tortured by the fact that i had no nintendo but sometimes i would get super lucky and friends of my parents would let me borrow theirs for a bit on and off, and that was absolutely fantastic

and then, finally, the faithful day came, where it felt like the lord himself came down from heaven and had finally answered my prayers; on the christmas of 1995 i finally was gifted a nintendo for myself, it of coarse was a hand-me-down, but hey, good enough for the girls i go out with ( or least something on those lines since i didn't start using that line until i was 20 something, but you get the gist :) )

so anyhow, i was in my prime, this was so damn amazing, and holy crap did i eve wear that thing out, homework, what is this homework you speak of ? you mean play more nintendo right? lewls, luckily though grade 3 wasn't that tough and even back then my IQ was relatively high so i could easily finish all my work at school and rarely needed to worry about that for the most part

now gaimes, during my Nes run from 1995 - 2000..... 5? 2006? i collected a mass of 19 nintendo games, i dont remember them all but i will see if i can list what i had; - thanks wikipedia for joggin' the ol' memory a bit

mega man 2
    mega man 3
    super mario bros
    super mario 2
    super mario 3
    dr mario
    tetris
    battletoads
    magic of scheherazade ( yes i googled that name )
    destination earth star
    deadly towers
    flying dragon...? ( some ninja game with dragon and or flying? )
    the rocketeer
    double dragon 2
    captain america
    gunnac
    back to the future
    bubble bobble
    chessmaster
    commando

okay dokie, lets go through them all and see what we get;

Mega Man 2

this game was aight, at first i didn't like it ( mega man 3 was my first game into the series ) so because of that, i liked mega man 3 more, with its smoother game play better sounds ect ect, but after awhile, mega man 2 started to rub off on me a bit, and i started to like it a bit more, although i do remember this game being hard as hell, holy crap, talk about unforgiving, especially the one wily boss where you HAVE to use crash bombs to deal damage to those weird light things, and if you wasted your bombs, pretty much game over, and the last level in that game, oh my lord was that out of control, but the day did finally come when i could finally beat that game, and it was just so satisfying to be able to beat that game, i even did it on hard mode once, oi good times

Mega Man 3

ah, MM 3, this game was my jam, it was one of the first games i owned when i got my Nes and my friend i had in grade 2 showed me a really cool trick with that game; for some weird reason if you held the up button on player 2's controller, you would get a "super jump" - which was higher than rush's jump lol - and you could drop into bottomless pits and not lose a life, and if you did "die" in a pit your health bar would be gone but you would still be alive and INVINCIBLE wha ha ha ha ha, although spikes still killed you, but nothing else could, unbelievable awesome game hack, i remember when i bought a 3ds this was one of the games i bought with it, since mega man 3 is my favourite Nes game, ah great times

Super Mario Bros

ah, the game that started it all, very simple at its core but fun to play, and quite challenging actually, i remember the first time when i made it to world 8, i had 1 life left, and world 8-1 is not exactly for those of the light of heart, anywho i remember running out of time climbing up the silly stairts to get to the flag just to run out of time when i needed like 3 or so more seconds, oi, and it would take me ages ( perhaps months ) before i made it to 8-2, and even then i was stuck on that level forever, and when i finally hit 8-3, oi was that level diabolical, and then finally a couple years later in like grade 5 or 6 i could finally make it to 8-4, but i had no idea how to beat it, until someone told me that its a "maze level" and you have to do it a certain way, so after that revelation i think i was able to finally beat super mario bros near the end of grade 6/ early grade 7 wowzers

Super Mario 2

now this game, i dont know, i was never really a fan of it, i always thought this game was whack, and it felt really out of place ( wasn't until many years later did i later learn from the irate gamer that this game was just a rip off from another one, which made sense after that revelation ) but anyways, its a game i had and a game i played, now i believe the furthest i ever got in this game was 6-3, and that was even using the warps to warp to level 4 than level 6, this game really spanked me hard, and i remember hitting level 6-3 not knowing how to beat the boss at the time and when i finally got a game over i never played it again, and then years and years later i watched my friend eric beat it with ease, lewls

Super Mario 3

now, although this game was good, i thought it was "aight" as well, although i did love ALL the bajillions of secrets hidden through out so many of the levels and worlds ( well at least from worlds 2 -5 ) there was so many cool secrets, then starting by world 6 it seemed to die down a bit and by world 7, it was just a slog it felt like, this game i also couldn't beat, the best i did personally starting a level 1, is hitting world 7-5 or 7-6 before i ran out of items and lives, and the best i ever did period was 8-2, and holy crap, world 8 is just filled to the brim with madness, all those whack mini level things before you EVEN hit world 8's actually levels, madness i say, but anyhow, i either lost on the sun level or perhaps beat it once just to never be able to finish off that mini castle because it to was a maze and since i had no items or lives, it was game over and i never played again. again though years later i watched my friends eric and jamie beat it with no sweat, lewls once again

dr mario

ah dr mario, this was my jam, i don't know why but i was god mode at this game, and this was the ONLY game my mom would play with me on, she hated video games ( don't know why, silly gen X parents lol ) but she actually enjoyed this one for whatever reason, but the problem started happening when i would completely roast her and she would never want to play against me because i would bring her to school, but none the less, it was a fun game, and this series will continue when we get to the N64 part of this section for dr mario part 2

tetris

ah, another game that i was fairly good at ( although by todays standards after watching pros play this i was nothing ) but hey, only being in elementary school and being able to complete 9-5 with out dying was quite impressive in my books, i think at my prime i could hit level.... 18/19/20. i would usually play on level 10 and i would usually end somewhere around those 3 levels, also when tetris was on face book years ago when facebook was fairly new i was usually in the top 91+ % which was pretty neat with score attack being my highest i believe at top 97%, so yeah, i was thick nerd ( although still am actually hahha )

battletoads

ah masochism, seriously, if you want to define that word perfectly they should just have a picture the Nes battletoads game right beside it in the dictionary. if anybody is anybody, this know what this game is about, but for those who don't know; this game had pretty good graphics for a Nes game, the music was badass, the game was HARD as hell, but it was FUN, holy crow, being stuck on level 3 for AGES before ever making it to level 5, just to beat that level first try ( haha ) and then being stuck on level 6 for AGES then finally making it to level 7 and being stuck there for AGES, just to be stuck on level 8, and i think that is as far as i ever made it for nes, although i do recall beating that boss guy so i want to say i made it to level 9 once, but i probably only had 1 life, and we all know how that would have went. i even remember playing this game 2 player with a friend of mine on a rom and we had save state and STILL coudn't beat the game ( i got stuck eventually on level 9 and couldn't get any further) but it was a blastio all the same

magic of scheherazade

this was a very interesting game, and when i got it in grade 3 it was a little way to advanced for me, it was an RPG with a lot of reading involved and since i didn't like to read i never really understood what i was doing and never really knew what to do or where to go, but after a while i was finally able to slowly stumble my way through the game and eventually i beat the first world ( there is only 5 ) and it actually felt really exciting to do so, but even in the later years of high school when i was determined to beat the game i could never get pass world 2 ( i just didn't know how to beat that desert maze ) oh well, thankfully there were pass codes and i warped to world 5 and i believe i eventually found the last castle defeated the last boss and won, but yeah, a very interesting game for its time indeed

destination earthstar

hahaha, this game as crap, hahaha, oh man, i NEVER knew what to do in this game, i would just float around space aimlessly until my resources ran out and then die, then i would lol and tell this game to take a hike, and then i read the manual, which actually told you what to do and other things you could do, which almost made the game fun, but it was still pretty bland, every once in awhile you would get into a "space dog fight" which was kind of neat, but the idea was to explore planets and such, or some bother, i think the best i ever did was make it to level 2..... or so, or perhaps the "2nd" space world, not sure, but this game was bleh, perhaps better suited for someone of the teenage variety as apposed to the elementary variety

deadly towers

this was another interesting game, but unfortunately just like magic of schez, i was a little to young to understand the RPG elements in this game, and never really got far in it at all, although years later when i wanted to give it another go, i could never EVER find a rom that would work for this game ( usually the game play freezes once you enter the tower ) the best i ever did for Nes is i found a dragon once and i killed it, got some goodies i assumed and that was it, and then just more puzzling mazes, what a shame, oc remix.org actually did a really cool remix of the theme of this game to, gnarly

flying dragon

ah, thanks to wikipedia yes, that is what the game was called, but i recall never being all that good at this game, in fact i dont think i even ever beat the first level ( ah the good ol' days of vidgeo gaming, where game were so hard you couldn't even beat the first level and then you gave up to never play again ) so anyhow, after quitting on that, my friend eric gave it a go, and he was able to beat some levels, holy jumpins, hard core good buddy, but then eventually even he got stuck at some random level and never made it pass that. slammed

the rocketeer

oh man this game, good times, as in it literally took a year or two, to even figure out what to do, and then i remember by accident one time i figured out those weird "apple" things that enemies dropped was actually ammo for weapons, and one time i accidentally pressed select and i started using weapons instead of the good ol' fist o' cuffs, and once i was actually able to use weapons, i was actually able to progress pass level 1, it was truly amazing, but then there was the 2nd caveat, the frying pan icons that enemies would drop, and i had no idea what this did and it would give me a 2nd "lifebar" and then more time went buy just to learn that it was your rocket pack power, holy friggin' jumpins, after those 2 discoveries i was on fire and i was actually progressing through the game, and actually having some sort of fun doing so, but then i made it to near the last level or so, and from i recall it was completely unfair, there were these weird obstacles that would do 1 point of damage and it was impossible to get pass without taking damage and i think you had 12 HP and there were 12 of these things to get through, so because of that, i couldn't never complete the level or the game, and never played it since, but i remember it blowing me away that there was actually more than 1 level to that game because it took eons to figure that out haha

double dragon 2

another game under the "interesting" column, although when playing with a friend this game was great, i remember ever summer in ontario the kids from the "big city" would come down to their grandparents for the month ( where we lived which was way out in the bush basically ) and the one grandson and I would play double dragon 2 all the time, he loved that game, and he couldnt wait to play it hahaha, and eventually we started getting pretty good at it, with time and practice we would slowly get further and further and further into the game, until we met our match at world 7 i believe it was, that was the furthest we could ever make it, and after i moved away from ontario i never really played the game again, although my friend eric borrowed it because he liked it a bit and he was actually able to finish it, i think there was only 8 worlds or so in it, dont remember

captain america

much like rocketeer this was a game that took ages to figure out and ages before i even made it to level 3, making it to level 2 was easy enough, but to make it to level 3, oi, it was tough, and just in general i remember this game being tough, although again one day, i was kind of kicking some ass and actually beating levels and bosses and it was actually kind of cool when i was doing it, but eventually i got the game over and never got that far again, although i remember finding out it actually had a player vs mode where player 1 played as either cap america or hawk eye and player 2 got to choose from 3 or 5 different baddies ( dont remember who they were ) and it was so unfair to hahahaha, captain america couldn't win and hawkeye couldn't lose in 2 player mode, ah nintendo where game play balance was unnecessary

gun-nac ( actually now that i think of it this was my friend's game and not mine, oops haha )

i remember this game being A LOT of fun, one of those "space invader/asteroid" type games where you are a little ship that gets upgrades and has to basically destroy everything on screen and you fight bosses and go to different levels. i remember one play through i was getting some more obtuse power ups that the screen was just filled with explosions everywhere and i was raking up some huge pointage ( now that i think of it, im pretty impressed that the nintendo could handle that much stuff going on without it dropping in frame rate ) but after that run, i never had a run better and then i tried playing on higher difficulties and started dying faster so then i stopped playing haha

back to the future

ah, when it came to horrible games, this one has to be near the top of the list for the Nes, although even if it doesn't get number 1, it easily hits top 10 if not 5, this game was terrible, it was hard as hell, the music was crap and it just sucked, although i remember one time i actually made it to the café level and i felt pretty accomplished doing that, but never made it pass that, and never played it again, apparently my friend eric said he beat it with game genie and even then it was still hard hahahah

bubble bobble

oh man does this bring back memories, instead of buddy buddy's grandson this time it was my cousin, we would play this game ALL the time, and eventually we were getting pretty good at it, and then level 57, ugh, why does my favorite number have to be the crappiest level in the game, holy crap is level 57 ass awful, but sometimes we would luck out and get an umbrella in levels 53-56 and we would be able to skip that garbage and eventually we made it to the "last boss" and buy last boss you have to make sure to get the crystal ball, defeat this guy with both players being alive just for him to tell you about "super bubble bobble mode" oi. so eventually we made it to super bubble bobble mode but i dont recall how far we got, it wasn't until years later when we moved back to British Columbia that me and my friend eric were able to beat super bubble bobble mode and once you do that you could open the sound track, which was pretty neat ( i think there was also a cheat that opened that sound track as well, but oh wells ) also another neat feature of bubble bobble for Nes is that there is a bunch of levels that you never play in actual game but you can warp there via password if you could guess a password correctly, so that was pretty neat

chessmaster

woo, when it comes to a game that is out of your league this was the one for sure, so, when i got this game when i was 8 and didn't know how to play chess, i had no clue what i was doing, i would play on novice difficulty and i was using my king to take out pieces, thats right, i was using my KING baby as my main attack piece, since i didn't understand any of the other pieces, it wasnt until years later that when i finally learned how to play the game did i actually start kicking butt, although one neat feature of that game was you were able to set up different boards so you could try different styles ( like have it so you have a king and queen vs someone who has a king and 2 rooks sort of thing ) so that was neat, but when i was younger i would just set up the board so i would always win on round 2 so then i would get the winners music, although when you lost that tune was friggin awesome, you know what tune lets say in a cartoon if they are about to die or know they are going to die it plays that little death tune ( chopin funeral march is what i found it was called, neat ) so anyways every time you lost in that game it would play the last few seconds of that tune and i thought that was diabolically funny, so dark and gritty for such an innocent game hahaha, nicely done chessmaster

commando

and finally we hit commando, another one of those wonder games where getting pass level 1 was hard as hell, but one night, me and my dad were just going ham, and finally beat level 2, then made it to level 3 and then beat level 3 and made it to level 4, and stuff was getting intense and crazy, and once you beat level 4 you start world 2 which is...... just a remake basically of world 1 lewls, ah the good ol' days of vidgeo gaimes where they would just make you basically replay the same maps with a little bit different color palette and perhaps an enemy or 2 to "change it up". so anyways, it felt like an eternity and evenutally i believe i hit level 3-4 and lost my last life and it was pretty close to 1am so we stopped there ( or maybe i still had a life left but it was late as hell ) it would be until years later that i realized there is only 4 "worlds" if you want to call them that, with a hugely lame ass ending haha, but hey, i eventually beat that game over a decade or so later and it felt awesome knowing i could do it

and with that, i think im going to have to stop there, my hands are starting to hurt a bit from all the typing and there is still much more to go over, so perhaps tomorrow i will continue on to the next part of nostalgia lane which is; The Genesis