Skip to content

Big problem with Icewind Dale 2 mod (NPC)

booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
Sup fools?

So I installed the NPC mod for IWDII. However, I had a problem. Whenever they talk I hear a voice, but the actual written dialogue does not show up at all. Also, the description for their personalized items also does not show. It sucks since it basically makes the mod completely unplayable.

I also have Tweakpack, Ease of Use and Widescreen mods installed. Can anyone who knows computer talk help a hamster out?

perhaps @CrevsDaak‌ knows about the software?

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Try re-installing with the newest release version of weidu--sounds like weidu failed to put the strings in the dialog.tlk. You might have to re-install all the mods again.
    If this doesn't fix it, log in G3 and tell them that this is happening to you. Might also be something with IWD2, but I wouldn't know about that since I have no knowledge in IWD2 and I never played it.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    @CrevsDaak‌
    I did a new install, and it works but its really slow. I try to use the slowdown fix (ddraw) but now it flashes back and forth between the game and my desktop and my mouse clicker occasionally disappears. so sad :(
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Try re installing the wide-screen mod, if that doesn't fix it: How big is the override folder? If it's too big (over 500 mb) google "genralozed biffing+bg2" and use the generalized biffing mod. Try turning on the 3D acceleration also, that might help a lot.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Your issue is simple: you ought to be playing IWD1 :P
  • bearcattonybearcattony Member Posts: 32
    Just don't use the widescreen or graphics mods for IWD2. Runs fine for me.
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    edited May 2018
    @booinyoureyes, I also had the flickering between game and desktop. The fix depends on which version of IWD2 you are playing... I now use the GOG version with their ddraw.dll. If you use the same then try this:

Copy the following files from the root of the game folder to 'game folder\ddrawfix\wined3d' - ddraw.dll, libwine.dll, wined3d.dll.
    Even though the GOG installer already sets it up when installing the game... Reinstall ddraw.dll using 'setup-ddrawfix.exe' using '2] Use WineD3D's DDraw Library'. For me, when I did that, it worked well with no lag. I now reinstall at the start of modding and it seems to work well.

If you are not using GOG version (had a similar problem with my disk version on Windows 8/10). I found that if I opened a program (Windows Explorer or Notepad++ worked for me) and make it use full screen prior to running IWD2, then the flickering disappears... a layer between the desktop and game!

Hope either works for you.
    Gus

Edit: I forgot to ask which version of ddraw.dll are you using?
    Also, for Widescreen mod, make sure that you switch back to 800x600 for foght with treants in Fell Wood (screen will freeze of you don't). Once you finish that, you can revert back to your setting for Widescreen.
    In widescreen setting, if the GUI being off to the side annoys you, let me know. There is a fix; I just have to refind it...
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Gusinda: You seem familiar with these issues. I've never been able to run IWD2 from GoG in full-screen mode. The .exe won't start up unless I set it to 800/600. Do you have any idea what might solve that problem?
    edited May 2018
    Hi @semiticgod, I am guessing that by not starting, you mean that it goes into a black screen, or does it do nothing you have to go into Task Manager to kill the process (on Windows 8/10?).

I had a similar problem where IWD2 would try to start and eventually show the 'not responding' dialog.

After you go through the GoG install, try what was mentioned above:
    - Copy the following files from the root of the game folder to 'game folder\ddrawfix\wined3d' - ddraw.dll, libwine.dll, wined3d.dll. The GOG installer seems to delete them once they install them. Not sure why.
    - Run setup-ddrawfix.exe and select Use WineD3D's DDraw Library. If you use a batch file to setup your mods, then the command line is: 'setup-ddrawfix.exe --language 0 --force-install-list 2'

This then allowed me to run IWD2 in Fullscreen. The ddraw.dll in IWD2 is one of the better libraries around for IWD2 (haven't tried it in any other game yet, but I have tried a number of different versions of ddraw.dll for this game).

From there it was installing all of the different mods that I use with the last being Widescreen (v3.07.1). I set it up last due to the switch in the game to 800x600 then back again. My screen is set to 1920x1200.

The fix to centre the GUI is called IWD2 GUI Fix_1.04. I use the manual install due to not being able to read French.

Hope it goes well. If you run into any difficulties, let me know and I will see if I can repeat the problem on my PC.

Gus

Edit: Hadn't run IWD2 for a couple of months and just tried by the .exe. It went into 'don't want to start' mode. Closed what could be called a window, then ran it via the GoG shortcut. It all started without error. I then closed it again and ran from the .exe and it started without error again...
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited May 2018
    Mine always takes a bit longer than you'd anticipate to start considering it's age, but I have never had the problem of it not coming up at all. I put the settings on 1024x768 in the config options. I was going to try the widescreen plus GUI fix, but Gibberlings appears to be down. Meanwhile, if you have had the game installed on your computer for more than a year or so, I'm fairly sure the most recent GOG installation runs some sort of script that I don't remember being there before.
    Post edited by jjstraka34 on
    @jjstraka34, if you are looking for the Widescreen mod, the have a look here for the latest version (3.07.1). The GUI Mod is still available at the site above.

For the problem in (not) starting my IWD2 earlier, I recall that I had the Windows 10 1803 major update a couple of weeks ago. this caused some problems with other apps and drivers so it may have been the prob here as well. Don't really know but will keep an eye on it.

Gus
    Gusinda said:

@jjstraka34, if you are looking for the Widescreen mod, the have a look here for the latest version (3.07.1). The GUI Mod is still available at the site above.

For the problem in (not) starting my IWD2 earlier, I recall that I had the Windows 10 1803 major update a couple of weeks ago. this caused some problems with other apps and drivers so it may have been the prob here as well. Don't really know but will keep an eye on it.

Gus

How does the widescreen mod interact with that infamous ent fight that can crash the game??
    @jjstraka34, that is a very good question...
    The crash (freeze) happens after the fight as it goes to the cut scene. Just thinking about it now (thanks), I wonder if it is related with the transition to the cut scene and what would happen if the cut scene was removed (if it can).

I haven't yet played the GOG version all the way though and haven't got to Chap 3.

I bought the entire D&D suite from GOG sometime last year and made a plan to take a core set of characters (my fav 3 - Elven Mage/Thief, Dwarven Fighter and Human Cleric) along with some drifters, through the lot starting with Gold Box PoR.

I installed everything and of course couldn't help myself. I have saved games with the heroes (?) all over the place for different games... but then changed my focus back onto the right path!

I have a party sitting at the beginning of chap 2 right now. They have been there a while and are prob out of rations, or in the least, bored with sitting around. I shall get them to strecth their legs taking them further to the end of chap 3, pause, and see what happens.

Gus
    OK. News on the Treant crash.

Did some testing and found that using my current install, there was no need to reduce the resolution before moving into AR5015 for the Treant fight. Always a good idea to save before heading into the area though, just in case.

I did jump a chapter and skipped a couple of quests, but I don't believe that they changed Globals that would impact on the opening of the new area. If they do, I will find out on a real run. Once I defeated the Treants, the cut scene played and the next area opened up. Resolution was at 1920x1200.

Whether this was due to the updated Widescreen mod (I was using 3.05 prior to this install which is 3.07.1) or the ddraw.dll (I had settled with 'aqrit's' version prior, now using Wine3D ddraw.dll), I am unsure what the fix was, but I am more inclined to think it was the ddraw change. The prior version of ddraw.dll introduced artifacts and tears in the screen whereas Wine3D doesn't.

For those that are looking for the WineD3D DirectDraw Library version of the ddraw.dll, then you can find it here. Those with the GOG version already have it.

Game On!
    Gus
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Problem solved for @booinyoureyes in less than 4 years.
    @lolien, :o That is funny indeed. I need to be learning meself on how to read them dates... Oh well, back under my rock I go.

Gus
    Gusinda said:

OK. News on the Treant crash.

Did some testing and found that using my current install, there was no need to reduce the resolution before moving into AR5015 for the Treant fight. Always a good idea to save before heading into the area though, just in case.

I did jump a chapter and skipped a couple of quests, but I don't believe that they changed Globals that would impact on the opening of the new area. If they do, I will find out on a real run. Once I defeated the Treants, the cut scene played and the next area opened up. Resolution was at 1920x1200.

Whether this was due to the updated Widescreen mod (I was using 3.05 prior to this install which is 3.07.1) or the ddraw.dll (I had settled with 'aqrit's' version prior, now using Wine3D ddraw.dll), I am unsure what the fix was, but I am more inclined to think it was the ddraw change. The prior version of ddraw.dll introduced artifacts and tears in the screen whereas Wine3D doesn't.

For those that are looking for the WineD3D DirectDraw Library version of the ddraw.dll, then you can find it here. Those with the GOG version already have it.

Game On!
    Gus

This is good to hear since this was the only truly significant bug I can remember this game having. If GOG has indeed implemented the new wrapper then the game is probably in as stable a position as we can ever hope for.