Skip to content

Have you seen this - Darkness Over Daggerford EE?

Just came across a rather muted announcement over on the vault. It seems that Ossian have been working with BD to create an official DOD EE premium module that you can now buy on steam. The official Ossian page on this is here and the steam page here. Currently it is 15% off.

TR
Sylvus_MoonbowDerpCityRik_KirtaniyapscythethirdmouseDrakonAndarianMatthieu

Comments

• jglvz256jglvz256 Member Posts: 52
    Great module. I felt kind of guilty about playing it for free back in the day, glad Ossian will finally get their dues.
    Andarian
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Sweet! I remember back then how the premium modules were shut down and DOD being released as a free module. Mysteries of Westgate, despite its grueling delay, was very well done by Ossian for nwn2, so I'll be getting this premium module release to support Ossian and Beamdog. From what I can remember it is a lot of fun and introduced a world map never before seen for nwn!
    Andarian
  • Drewbert_ahoyDrewbert_ahoy Member Posts: 96
    Great news! Hopefully they can finally patch the DoD stuff into the game, as was done for all of the premium mods back in the day. This is a must buy.
    DerpCity
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    Thanks for the info! Bought it immediately.
    DerpCityAndarian
  • sippelmcsippelmc Member Posts: 45
    It appears this is now included in the Digital Deluxe packs; I purchased Deluxe. Is this available to me or do I have to buy it "again" compared to new purchasers who get it included?
    DerpCity
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    If it is now included, it isn't mentioned on the BD sale page for that version of NwN EE. It may be a steam only deal. I wonder if @JuliusBorisov can clear this up?

TR
  • sippelmcsippelmc Member Posts: 45
    edited June 2018
    Ya, I'm not going to fret over less than $10, but just curious. I bought from BD and didn't input my steam keys yet anyhow, so I suspect I may get it for free on Steam if I do it now.

I'd also like to know about the additional assets, soundtrack, etc and it looks like a new tileset in the Steam promo pics (swamp?), is this module essentially with a hak? I would assume so with the world map (on NWvault). Will these get added to base game eventually? etc.

"Use the world map to venture across fifteen areas along the Sword Coast, each brimming with unique adventures.
    Establish and customize your stronghold to discover new quests
    12 new music tracks
    12 new character portraits
    New voice over for main characters
    Nearly 500 gameplay improvements over the original!"
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    I'm a Digital Deluxe owner, and I don't have a key listed in my account here. Yet it appears to be part of the Steam Digital Deluxe. I'm really hoping this is just an oversight and it shows up in the account. I expect in the future there will be modules that aren't included. I planned for that. But I'm going to be disappointed of the Steam version of Digital Deluxe gets it but people who bought direct from the company don't.
  • raz651raz651 Member Posts: 175
    raz651 said:
    Cool, I hope that means it is included with Digital Deluxe. Clearer communication on this point would be appreciated.

Also, some extra feedback: if we are getting it, it would have made much more sense to make sure Beamdog Players had it to begin with to avoid us unnecessarily getting it on Steam or being frustrated by not having it. Plus, since a lot of us supported early before Steam was in the picture, it seems we should've gotten it before them not the other way around. Telling us these things immediately instead of leaving us wondering isn't good either. This needs much better transparency.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited June 2018
    Steam has a different setup for NWN:EE than Beamdog's store. Steam sells each DLC individually and also has a bundle with all the NWN:EE DLC for a discount. Beamdog's store only sells the base game or Digital Deluxe (currently not including DoD). With Steam's bundle, if you already owned all the previous "Digital Deluxe" components (i.e., everything but DoD), you wouldn't get DoD for free, but you could "complete the bundle" and get the bundle discount on DoD (but you'd have to buy DoD AND the soundtrack for that).

I wouldn't expect DoD for free for existing NWN:EE:DD owners, but perhaps an opportunity to upgrade to a new "Digital Deluxe+" for a discounted price. Once you factor in the sale and bundle discounts, Steam is selling DoD + soundtrack for $9.93 ($12.98 list price for both DLC, $11.03 sale price w/o the bundle or $8.49 sale price for DoD DLC only).

It would be nice if Beamdog had consistent releases across stores (at least when the product is available on a platform, e.g., NWN:EE not appearing in the iOS App Store or Google Play Store doesn't count). I know Mac App Store users have been waiting for 2.x releases of the Infinity Engine games for a LONG time, and the BG:EE portrait pack is available on Steam and GOG, but not Beamdog.
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
    Rik_Kirtaniya
  • thirdmousethirdmouse Member Posts: 67
    sippelmc said:

and it looks like a new tileset in the Steam promo pics (swamp?),

No new tilesets in the promos, just some well-placed willow trees :) At the time, it was the first module to use the TNO tileset, though! (Wyvern Crown and its asset patches hadn't come out yet, so it was an early release version of it.)
  • aarionnaarionn Member Posts: 94
    edited June 2018
    The Digital Deluxe BUNDLE on Steam is not same as Digital Deluxe version of the game.

DoD was not the part of Digital Deluxe neither on Beamdog or Steam store.

DoD is separate DLC and needs to be purchased (if you want to play upgraded version by Ossian studio).

I had Deluxe version on Steam and still needed to purchase DoD.

You can still download the old version without upgrades and play.

I purchased it as I want to play it again with Ossian changes and I also want to support them as it seems they will be one of the developers that will make new premium modules.
    JFKRik_Kirtaniya
    Yeah, it's all confusing, but I see now that it's just bundling that Steam is doing. So it makes sense I don't get it. However, $10 for this seems pricey where the other modules are $2.99.
    Rik_Kirtaniya
  • fetito666fetito666 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 204
    I got all confused about this release, but since I love Neverwinter Nights so much, I bought it along with the soundtrack and also to support the devs.
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    Bought it over the weekend. Probably won’t play it for a while.
    Does it have a class/level preferences?
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Staran said:

Bought it over the weekend. Probably won’t play it for a while.
    Does it have a class/level preferences?

You start at level 8, and it will auto level you if you create a new character and enter the game at level 1. It's quite versatile in character choice, with conversation options to fit more specialized classes like Wizards, Sorcerers, Druids and Priests from some of the interactions I've experienced.
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    Will it Unlevel me if I show up in my 1337 epicness?
  • pscythepscythe Member Posts: 116
    edited June 2018
    So how does the game play compared to the old version? I remember the old version having interesting side quests but the encounters were bit too easy.
    Thanks for that.

These particular changes makes it worth playing again for me:

* Overhauled treasure to reduce value of found loot by over one million gold pieces
    * Implemented class-specific treasure system to numerous hoards
    * Implemented generic skill system across all conversation skill checks
    * Overhauled buy/sell markups which were overly-generous and in some cases allowed PCs to sell items back to merchants at profit
    I'd also like to know about the additional assets, soundtrack, etc and it looks like a new tileset in the Steam promo pics (swamp?), is this module essentially with a hak? I would assume so with the world map (on NWvault). Will these get added to base game eventually?

It's hak based. If you look for DoD content in the toolset you won't find any. Which is slightly disappointing as that's not how it was for the other premium mods.
    edited June 2018

I'd also like to know about the additional assets, soundtrack, etc and it looks like a new tileset in the Steam promo pics (swamp?), is this module essentially with a hak? I would assume so with the world map (on NWvault). Will these get added to base game eventually?

It's hak based. If you look for DoD content in the toolset you won't find any. Which is slightly disappointing as that's not how it was for the other premium mods.

It actually ships with 3 haks, which you can easily add to your module. So it is not encrypted.

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Thanks, @JuliusBorisov!

When will DOD come to the Beamdog store so we can support Ossian? :smile:
    JuliusBorisovJFKdTd
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    100% what Andarian said this is very long overdue. Whats more they're even releasing it with new music and VO which is not something that every module has nor what every modder has the budget for.
    pscytheDerpCity
    It actually ships with 3 haks, which you can easily add to your module. So it is not encrypted.

Been a while since I've done this. Is the order of these haks important and is there a tlk file that should be used?