Skip to content

[Troubleshooting] BGEE/SOD Issues with non responding buttons

MordekaieMordekaie Member Posts: 269
Hi,

I have few issues with clicking buttons which are not responding or freeze the game. For example :

- The "Option" button
- the "Exporting" button while creating a character ;
- some thief skills like "silent move"
- with a team of 6 characters, it is impossible to select the last one …

Some informations about the system and the game :
BGEE + SOD from GOG ; version 2.3.67.3(B) ; VANILLA (not modded and not merged yet) ; the game is installed in a specific folder...
System : i5-3570K / RAM 6GO / GPU: 7850 1GO / the gpu driver and the OS are up to date

Nb : i apologize for my english which is not my first language.

Comments

• GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @Mordekaie, I am guessing that you are running Windows 10. Would you be able to upload a couple of items:

- run 'dxdiag' from Win+R, save the upload results
    - a copy of your baldur.lua renamed as baldur.txt
    - a zipped up copy of your saved game

This will allow for some better assistance in problem solving. There is no problem with the install in a different folder. It certainly is better than installing in Program Files area.

If you are unsure on how to do any of this, let me know.

Thanks
    Gus
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • MordekaieMordekaie Member Posts: 269
    :) Thank you for the help. I really need to have a stable vanilla game before starting to mod it.

Copying the "SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Backend','1') into Baldur.lua seems to have fixed some of the issues listed in my first message : i have now access to the differents buttons.

I did start a Test game to check if the game is doing well; and in my opinion there are still some weird things and i report some of them (but no crashes) :
    1/ Impossible to access to an exporter character while creating a team in BG:EE (while it is possible in SoD)
    2/ In character generation / appearance / color choice : i was able to change the color with the bars but the color wasn't changing in the corresponding color square example on the right (not reproductible at the moment)
    3/ In Jaheira profil / "fighting styles" there is : club++ (which should be in "proficiencies")
    4/ The paladin "Detect Evil" doesn't seem to work ("Sir Yvain : Detect Evil : Sir Yvain")
    5/ The dialogue area is/was acting weird

There are different other weirds situations which are occuring time to time , and which are quite complicate to explain.

Anyway i join the different documents you asked.

Could it be a problem with lack of ram ? … I have no idea???

@Mordekaie, you getting it going is good to know.

Things look good in your dxdiag report. Your audio driever is only just out of date but it shouldn't matter.

For the problems mentioned:
    1/ Impossible to access to an exporter character while creating a team in BG:EE (while it is possible in SoD)

- Where you able to see them at all? Using your game, I when into Multiplayer mode and was able to import a character. Since you were able to import into SoD, I am guessing that your folder is in place ie:
    ..\your docs\\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\characters
    Just checking to make sure.

2/ In character generation / appearance / color choice : i was able to change the color with the bars but the color wasn't changing in the corresponding color square example on the right (not reproductible at the moment)

3/ In Jaheira profil / "fighting styles" there is : club++ (which should be in "proficiencies")
    This is a known problem and is expected to be fixed for the next version.

4/ The paladin "Detect Evil" doesn't seem to work ("Sir Yvain : Detect Evil : Sir Yvain")
    Tried it when I was near Edwin and he showed up as evil. Could you just go to the bridge and try again?

What is actually happening here?

Gus
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    https://forums.beamdog.com/profile/Gusinda It is Moving forward but still to early to start modding it

For the problems mentioned:

a/ Folder "Characters" OK
    The folder ..\your docs\\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition seems to be in place with the rigth folders including "Saves", "Characters" and "Portraits" and a new one "ScrnShot" (with some screenshots of the game) and the unknown file jingle.log which are brand new since today (see copy attached) ?

b/ If i start a new game in SoD, the 3 characters profils located in the "characters" folder are seen and can be selected
    c/ If i start a new game in Baldur"s Gate EE or The black pits, the profils from the "characters" folder are not seen
    d/ No "pre-generate character" button
    I have the two buttons "new game" and "load a game" but not the one to generate a profil. I know the option is available in BG:EE 2.3. does it dissapear from BGEE+SoD version of the game ?

3/ The club fighting style : known issue
    4/ The paladin "Detect Evil" : Solved (Edwin is shown as evil)

See the picture attached. I basically can't expand the size of the area where the different answers are listed ; and this very much inconfortable

@Mordekaie,

Jingle.log seems to be just the network connection log. Nothing to worry about.

When you start a new game, go to Import a chartacter and select character file, do the prebuilt characters show up at all?

The Pre-Gen character does disappear when installing SoD. If you want it back, there are a number of UI mods. I use Lefreut's enhanced UI which has a number of skins. When playing BGEE, I install the BGEE skin, when playing SoD, I will either stay with BGEE or use the SoD skin.
    Have a look around the UI forum and see what's available. The Dragonspear UI++ is also a pretty good option.

Dialogue area. Ahh yes, I know what your talking about (been a while since I used it). The best option there is to use one of the UIs mentioned above. Have a look at the pictures and you would see what I mean. You will also find some discussion about the dialogue box in the UI section. The enhanced UIs also fix some other bugs (which might be fixed in the 2.5 release) that effect the journal.

Apart from the Import of characters, I hope that puts your mind at ease. Most is just standard behaviour for SoD.

By the way, if you want to call/page someone, just put the @ in front of the username. This will leave tehm a message in their notifications.
    Gus

JuliusBorisovlolien
    edited June 2018
    @Gusinda Thank you very for your time and your advices :smile:

A little confusion : the pre built characters from the game are showing up. The character profils i created and located in my documents/Baldurs…/Characters are the one not showing up in a Baldur's Gate EE game (while they show up if i start the SoD Campaign)
    I confirm that the prebuilt characters are not showing up when i start a new BG game (not SoD) and it seems to be the last weird issue i have with this vanilla install !!! It is very strange because those prebuilt characters are shown when i start a SoD game ?

The other issues are "bugs" from the vanilla game and they will be fixed by modding the game.

I have been checking many mods and preparing my "mod orders" (without using BWS; doing it manually) but i do want a stable game before starting to mod the game (Nb : i have spent to much time last Week starting modding before realizing thtat the game was not working well and it was because of the installed mods)

By the way : is there any solution for a thief character to use at the same time the sneak and the detect traps habilities !!!! Should i open a discussion about this subject ?

So no more worrying beside those not showing up prebuilt characters !!!!
    Post edited by Mordekaie on
    JuliusBorisovGusindalolien
    About the not showing exported character profils issue in BGEE+SoD when trying to import a profil, i did some more investigations and here are my conclusions :smile:

It seems that this issue (on my system) is related to the file name chosen while exportating a character profil : if a file name for an exported character profil starts by numbers (for example 10FEYNM), it will not be shown ! On the other hand if i put a name without Numbers (for example FEYNM), this one is showing up !
    JuliusBorisovGusinda
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    An interesting discovery. Can you please report the issue with a name starting with numbers at support.baldursgate.com (our bug tracker). Thanks in advance!
    Gusindalolien
    Done
    GusindaJuliusBorisovlolien