Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
    edited June 2018
    I'm not the expert here, but since they are capable of making SoD but probably don't posses the company size to make a whole new game, what Beamdog thinks about making something like a mix between Black Pits and SoD? Basically using the graphics of Baldur's Gate for new areas just like they did for SoD but with new characters, independent of the Bhaalspawn, a whole new Forgotten Realms or D&D story? Or even spin off of Baldur's Gate, that would be cool.

Infinity Engine sucks, right, butwhatever effort took SoD, it can be done again. So...
    DrakeICNDev6
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    edited June 2018

I'm not the expert here, but since they are capable of making SoD but probably don't posses the company size to make a whole new game, what Beamdog thinks about making something like a mix between Black Pits and SoD? Basically using the graphics of Baldur's Gate for new areas just like they did for SoD but with new characters, independent of the Bhaalspawn, a whole new Forgotten Realms or D&D story? Or even spin off of Baldur's Gate, that would be cool.

Infinity Engine sucks, right, butwhatever effort took SoD, it can be done again. So...

Black Pits III for IWD.
    An SoD-like expansion for IWD.
    Anything for IWD please!

EDIT: Picking up the Black Pits in IWD idea.
    Make it an open-air gladiatorial arena where you fight for gold and glory. If I'm not mistaken in both black pits 1 and 2 you're somewhat forced to fight (I can't remember 100%). This time it's different. You want to fight.
    Eventually you become so (in)famous that you fight the master of the arena. You win, and you become the new master. Dum dum duuuummmmm...
    Make the arena windy, icy and snowy.
    Call it White Pits.

Can I haz my money now?
    AedanStummvonBordwehrlolien
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

Ravenloft's Gate.

Balrog99ThacoBell
    edited June 2018
    If there is a problem, it can't be a legal one... Black Pits 2 after all has a story. Just do the same, a story with areas... just make it bigger, with more freedom. If the problem is publishing it independently of the Baldur's Gate package, no need to do it. Is still gonna sell if you tell us the fans, "hey, a whole new Infinity Engine D&D game, but you must own the whole Beamdog Infinite Engine series first". Take my money. Take my money!!! Doesn't have to be $14.99. I'd pay up to $60 for that.

Beamdog, are you listening?
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

If there is a problem, it can't be a legal one... Black Pits 2 after all has a story. Just do the same, a story with areas... just make it bigger, with more freedom. If the problem is publishing it independently of the Baldur's Gate package, no need to do it. Is still gonna sell if you tell us the fans, "hey, a whole new Infinity Engine D&D game, but you must own the whole Beamdog Infinite Engine series first". Take my money. Take my money!!! Doesn't have to be $14.99. I'd pay up to $60 for that.

Beamdog, are you listening?

If they use 5e rules i'll be happy
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited June 2018
    After what happened to Call of Duty and Pokemon I'm afraid of new game releases.
    Post edited by Raduziel on
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

Ravenloft's Gate.

Daggerdale Gate.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Raduziel said:

After what happened with Call of Duty and Pokemon I'm afraid of new game releases.

What happened with Pokémon?
    ThacoBell
    I think they did an Enhanced Edition of Pokemon Yellow and Red and Blue, but I don't think it has new companions.
    RaduzielThacoBell
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited June 2018
    @deltago The new game has a lot of Pokemon Go mechanics.
    deltagoQuartz
    If we are voting here,

1st: Ravenloft

2nd: Waterdeep + Undermountain. Oh damn, is taken

3rd: A Forgotten Realms "surprise me" option.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Raduziel said:

@deltago The new game has a lot of Pokemon Go mechanics.

Thankfully its just a spin-off.
    Ardul
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636

I really want a videogame where i can play as a Dragonborn (no, not Skyrim).

You want a non-crappy 5E game then. Excellent!
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    ThacoBell said:

kanisatha said:

DrakeICN said:

kanisatha said:

More evidence that BD has abandoned any and all plans for creating new games. I read this as an admission that they are incapable of doing anything original. NwNEE DLCs and IE console ports are all we'll be getting from them.

So, basically, the product they intend to work on and support for awhile now, that's what you're buying? Why exactly are you complaining about that?

Exactly! We have companies making Pillars of Eternity, Shadowrun, Divinity: Original Sin and also great independent titles like Paper Sorcerer, Eschalon and Avalon. There is room for one company improving the old classics. Now, don't get me wrong, I would love to see something new, or an Arcanum remake rather than a NWN minor graphic improvement (when indeed what NWN needed was a complete overhaul of the shitty combat system), HOWEVER, if BD keeps playing around with the IE engine, well, that too is fine with me. You acting like there are no RPGs out there other than what BD produce, but that is simply not true. The RPG scene has never been as vibrant as it is right here, right now!
    Well, (A) while I love all the other cRPGs being released right now, I still feel very strongly about playing a D&D/FR 5e cRPG because that system and setting are especially near and dear to me; and (B) exactly such a game is what BD very strongly suggested they were going to be making, going on two years now. So I think it is eminently reasonable for me to feel like BD has been stringing me along.
    Well how long does it take to make a large scale wrpg? How much time would be added for a small studio. I feel like 2 years development time is the bare minimum to put out something of really good quality for even a large studio.
    I would agree with this, but my point is that I have now come to the (sad) conclusion that there is no new-IP D&D crpg under development by BD at all. I would be very happy to be proven wrong, but I feel very strongly that BD has made a strategic decision that at least for the forseeable future they will only be doing EEs and DLCs and console ports of old games.

Now this is ok with me if it is their chosen path. I just wish I could get some transparency and honesty from them re. future plans is all, rather than just repeated empty platitudes such as: "We have lots of exciting things in store for you, so stay tuned!" Other game developers provide such information about what's coming up without necessarily revealing details. For example we have a pretty good idea of what upcoming projects Obsidian and inXile and Bethesda and CDPR are currently working on. So why won't BD do the same? I just don't get it, and I am extremely frustrated with BD's ridiculous level of silence.
    RaduzielSon_of_Imoen
    kanisatha said:

Now this is ok with me if it is their chosen path. I just wish I could get some transparency and honesty from them re. future plans is all, rather than just repeated empty platitudes such as: "We have lots of exciting things in store for you, so stay tuned!" Other game developers provide such information about what's coming up without necessarily revealing details. For example we have a pretty good idea of what upcoming projects Obsidian and inXile and Bethesda and CDPR are currently working on. So why won't BD do the same? I just don't get it, and I am extremely frustrated with BD's ridiculous level of silence.

What silence? Beamdog has been quite clear that they intend to support NWN:EE. That's what they're doing. If that's not your thing, great; but please don't complain about it. Thanks!

ThacoBell
    edited June 2018
    How is “supporting NWN:ED” a continuous and active thing? Like, are they putting effort on manteining servers? Preparing DLCs? Making patches all time time the way they did with IE? I’m not against giving love to NWN, but if there is popular demand for more IE shit, is it smart to pretend that’s not happening?

If there is people in my block moaning about pizza, I’m gonna open a pizza joint and become rich, even if I have to spend money on the store rent and pizza dough and cheese. You know.
    edited June 2018

Preparing DLCs?

Considering they already did this? Yes. http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/06/neverwinter-nights-darkness-over.html

Making patches all time time the way they did with IE?

Yes, considering that fixing bugs from NWN and adding features was a major thing they did with NWN:EE. You saw the notes for that, right? http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/02/nwnee-8157-8158-patch-notes.html

I’m not against giving love to NWN, but if there is popular demand for more IE shit, is it smart to pretend that’s not happening?

What makes you think there is a large enough demand to justify this? This relatively tiny community? Because if that's it... It ain't gonna cut it.

Dev6ThacoBellredline
    edited June 2018
    @MonoCanalla I myself am not interested in NWN, but a lot of people here are. In fact I'm sure it'll be their best seller EE so far. NWN has a huge community. And yes, it's a continuous thing. Making NWN:EE isn't as simple as snapping your fingers.

As for making more IE games, I would love that. But there's probably no community to support it. Yes, people in this forum would enjoy it, but they need to actually turn a profit and the truth is that people in this forum alone are not enough. SoD was a huge gamble as it is.

Now, if they actually made a new game in a new engine that pays homage to the IE, something akin to Pillars of Eternity or Torment (haven't played those games yet so can't be sure of their quality but I've heard good things), I can see that working out.
    StummvonBordwehrThacoBelllolien
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    Yeah, sad to say it, BD won't see any of my cash as long as they do NWN stuff. But I, as always, belong to a minority wallet vote. For instance, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Red Steel 2 (best game ever made) and think Counter Strike is stupid - I mean, I played it and had fun for maybe 15 min and then it was a snorefest.., but holy shit they play this game as a national sport!!! Meanwhile, most people have never heard of Red Steel 2 (and if they did, they would be like turn off that crap lets play Mariokart) and they call the Wiimote - the best thing to happen to gaming in decades - a gimmick. This is why I could never run a company. My taste is so out of sync with the rest of the world, that whatever I was peddling nobody else would want.
    lolien
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
    Aedan
    DrakeICN said:

they call the Wiimote - the best thing to happen to gaming in decades

ThacoBell
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308

kanisatha said:

What silence? Beamdog has been quite clear that they intend to support NWN:EE. That's what they're doing. If that's not your thing, great; but please don't complain about it. Thanks!

First, please don't tell me what I can or cannot say.

Second, every single one of my recent comments has been strictly about whether or not BD intends to develop any new games in the future. And this comment and my reference to 'silence' from BD was clearly set in this context. So what does support for NwN:EE have to do with anything I'm saying?
    MateoFrozen
    Dev6 said:

DrakeICN said:

A device that requires me to stand up thereby preventing many health issues associated with gaming while increasing immersion by making the on screen character perform the same moves that I do? Oh, and it can even turn non-gamers into casual players, thereby attracting more girls to gaming while at the same time making my hobby more socially acceptable? MOCK IT RELENTLESSLY!!!
    lolien
    Dev6 said:

Now, if they actually made a new game in a new engine that pays homage to the IE, something akin to Pillars of Eternity or Torment (haven't played those games yet so can't be sure of their quality but I've heard good things), I can see that working out.

I personally think this is what they should do, but that's just me. We'll see.
    kanisatha said:

First, please don't tell me what I can or cannot say.

Eh, you'll get over it. Or you won't. /shrug
    kanisatha said:

Second, every single one of my recent comments has been strictly about whether or not BD intends to develop any new games in the future. And this comment and my reference to 'silence' from BD was clearly set in this context. So what does support for NwN:EE have to do with anything I'm saying?

I would think that would be clear. Beamdog is intending to support NWN:EE, not develop new games.

There are no indications that Beamdog is working on any new games, at this current time. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. All we can conclude, right now, is that they will support and improve NWN:EE for the foreseeable future.

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    DrakeICN said:

Dev6 said:

DrakeICN said:

A device that requires me to stand up thereby preventing many health issues associated with gaming while increasing immersion by making the on screen character perform the same moves that I do? Oh, and it can even turn non-gamers into casual players, thereby attracting more girls to gaming while at the same time making my hobby more socially acceptable? MOCK IT RELENTLESSLY!!!
    Man, what magical Wiimote are you using? They NEVER mimic the motions I am doing.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    last time I used a wiimote paralyzed my thumb and wrist for a few days
    rapsam2003mlneveseThacoBelllolien
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    SethDavis said:

last time I used a wiimote paralyzed my thumb and wrist for a few days

TMI, dude.
    modestvoltaQuartz
    PEBKAC. No wait, PEBWAF.